VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi gang! I ran into a new problem today.

I've captured dozens of home recordings from VHS and burned them to DVD so I know how to do it and have done it successfully many times... until today.

I captured a video (and audio) using VirtualDub and then encoded from AVI to MPEG2 using TMPGENC. I Used DVDAuthorGUI to author the DVD and burned it with Nero. (I also tried using DVD Shrink to make an ISO image and DVD Decrypter to burn the ISO.)

I throw the DVD into my Sony DVD player and I have no sound. I have it on the PC and on the Emerson DVD/TV combo unit in the bedroom, but I have no audio on the Sony at all. The Sony has traditionally played every disc I've ever authored, which includes VCDs, CVDs, SVCDs, and DVDs.

The Sony handles MP2 audio as well as LPCM and AC3. I went with the MP2 audio this time to save a step/conversion.

My ONLY idea is that, for some reason, TMPGEnc wouldn't let me use 224 as my audio bitrate. I captured in Mono since it was a crappy home video mono source anyway, and then I tried to use mono audio. I could only select up to 192 bitrate in mono. I've used alternate bitrates before on SVCDs and such but had never tried it on a DVD until tonight.

I'm now encoding my mono source as stereo at 224 (and may convert to AC3 if needed) to check, but in the meantime, can anyone confirm if this is my problem? Any ideas what else the problem might be? Except for the bitrate theory I'm perplexed.

Thanks in advance, my friends,
    Nitemare
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Only thing I can think of is making sure the audio is at 48000Hz
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't use MP2 audio for DVDs that often, but it should not be your problem unless the audio is non compliant as far as the settings. With VirtualDub, I save out the audio as a WAV file then I encode to AC3 with ffmpeggui. I don't use TMPGEnc encoder for the audio processing at all. Then I plug the AC3 back in when authoring.

If you still have all the files, you can check through the different steps with Gspot 2.60 and you may find where things went wrong.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Soopafresh--Audio was 48000Hz but was only 192 Kb. Again... this worked okay on SVCDs and CVDs with my Sony and works on players OTHER than the Sony. But I'm almost sure this was the problem. I'm more curious why TMPEG wouldn't let me select above 192 using the mono file.

redwudz-- I also "usually" use AC3 (using almost the same method as you, too) but in this case I was after a quick capture/burn and go. I did no editing to the file at all so I saw no reason to process the audio twice. (though in retrospect I probably should have)

For most of my stuff I usually edit, add sound effects, music, etc. For this it was just capture and burn. I'm puzzled. I mean, my Sony plays almost EVERYTHING.

Thnks for the feedback, guys!
    Even a broken clock is right twice a day.
    Quote Quote