VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. -Why does Recode make duplicate files outside the VIDEO_TS folder?

-Why isn't there an AUDIO_TS folder created? (even though it's always empty)

-Why doesn't Recode allow you to decrease the quality of the menus, even though I tried unchecking this option in the profile I created?

Although the program is very easy to use, all you can do is disable the garbage and use a still image, but the amount of space the still image takes up can still be significant. With DVD Shrink, I can lower the quality of menus almost as much as I want, but Recode is already set as low as it will go.

I tried making a backup of Sin City, and even after de-selecting DTS, it was still over the 4.7gb limit and in the red. Nothing else could be adjusted. Sin City ended up being my first DVD+R DL disc using DVD Decrypter, which worked perfectly, by the way.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably the main reason for some of what you have mentioned with Nero Recode is that it's a all-in-one program which tries to do everything but ends up doing none of it really well. Nero itself has similar problems.

If you want more options, go for separate programs to encode, edit and author and even burn. Authoring especially has never been a strong point for Nero products. If you want the convenience and don't mind the limitations, it's a useful program.

The AUDIO_TS folder is not needed for much of anything at present and there are likely just a very few older players that would even notice it's missing.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i use nero vision 4707
    under video options then dvd video
    many options avail even convert to 5:1 surround
    bit rate/number of passes etc
    Quote Quote  
  4. redwudz, I don't know if I'm ready to dig into more difficult programs yet. I haven't had the patience to sort through all the choices.

Recode and Shrink are created by the same programmer. The AUDIO_TS thing doesn't bother me, and I know it's not always necessary, but all the other programs I've used create this folder for compatibility reasons. The most perplexing thing is the fact that within the folder I create, ie., MOVIE_ABC Recode creates the VIDEO_TS folder, as it should, but also creates exact duplications of every file that's contained inside the VIDEO_TS folder within the MOVIE_ABC folder, which doesn't make sense. So, the MOVIE_ABC folder ends up being 8+gb instead of 4+gb.

It's not that I have to use Nero, but it has always been the 3rd step with Burning ROM. Now I use DVD Decrypter or DVDFab Decrypter, Nero Recode (because Shrink is no longer updated), then burn with Nero Burning ROM.

I suppose the next step is to learn how to remove things without leaving a still image or frames to replace it. I think IFO Edit does this.

delius, what is the purpose of Nero Vision?
    Quote Quote