VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've heard some guides on this and I'm still completely confused on it. I have a DVD I want to back up that has both widescreen and fullscreen versions of the film on the disc. When you put the DVD in, it takes you to a menu where you select which version, then once you select it, it takes you to that version's main menu. What I want to do is take out the fullscreen version of the movie entirely, as well as the version selection so that when I put the DVD in, it takes me straight to the widescreen version main menu, as if the fullscreen version and selection menu never existed. Is this possible, and is it going to require too much reauthoring to get it done perfectly?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    vobblanker to remove the fullscreen movie.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can it also get rid of the version selection menu?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Luriden
    Can it also get rid of the version selection menu?
    No. There are ways of removing menu selections but you risk the disk locking up when you come to play it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I suggest using VobBlanker to get rid of the Full Screen version.

You can then use MenuEdit to delete the Full Screen option button. So the menu will still be there but the button will be gone forcing the user to select the Widescreen version as they will not be able to select the Full Screen version.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How about opening the DVD in DVDShrink? I would expect it to show the menus and two main movies, the widescreen one and the full screen one. In Re-Author mode, identify which main movie is which and drag the one you want over to the DVD Structure window. Backup and that should leave you with just the correct version main movie and no menus.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Richard_G
    How about opening the DVD in DVDShrink? I would expect it to show the menus and two main movies, the widescreen one and the full screen one. In Re-Author mode, identify which main movie is which and drag the one you want over to the DVD Structure window. Backup and that should leave you with just the correct version main movie and no menus.
    Yeah, I thought about doing that. I was wanting to keep the menus, however. I may just do that though, I'd like to keep the quality intact.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi-

To have the DVD jump right to the Widescreen version menu upon insert, follow this guide. It's much easier than it looks. Trace to the menu where you choose which version, choose widescreen, continue to the widescreen menu (the menu where you really want to start), right-click and "Toggle Pre-Post Breakpoint". Trace again back to the menu you really want to start with, go PGC->Jump To PGC Upon DVD Insert, Save and Test. If you mess up, replace the IFOs that were saved automatically, and start again.

https://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/third_party/blutach/How_to_use_PgcEdit_new_macro.htm

There have been newer versions of PGCEdit since that guide was written, and some things have changed to make the guide slightly out of date. Use it in conjunction with what I wrote above.

No. There are ways of removing menu selections but you risk the disk locking up when you come to play it.

That guide is for bypassing it. Once safely bypassed, it can be safely blanked using VobBlanker. If it's a static menu, it's probably small, and there's not much point. If it's a big motion menu, it can be blanked or removed with no problems afterwards. This assumes you don't go back to that menu after the movie ends. You probably don't, though.

As stated before, remove the fullscreen version using VobBlanker.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Awesome, thanks! I'll definitely try this out.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!