VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I am finally trying out AVIsynth and Despot and Descratch.

I have tried several options with no changes in my footage at all.
    I have placed a sample file for you to try.

http://www.ct-iowa.com/spots.avi

small file to try since my server is throttled.

http://www.ct-iowa.com/spots.m2v

Here is the script I tried:

avisource("c:\temp\avs\spots2.avi")
    loadplugin("c:\temp\avs\plugins\despot.dll")

ConvertToYV12()

Crop(0,0,720,288) #to show test

i = last

# Compare half-frames with and without noise reduction

DeSpot(p1=35, p2=14, pwidth=70, pheight=70, mthres=25, mwidth=20, mheight=15, interlaced=true,
    \ merode=33, ranked=false, p1percent=0, dilate=0, fitluma=false, blur=0, motpn=false, seg=0)

StackVertical(i, last)

When I watch them a frame at a time the top half is identical to the bottom. Nothing is ever filtered.

Can anyone help me with this please?

Lannie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I've been using DeSpot for a short while, and also had problems getting it to work at first.

Is your source interlaced?
    If so, maybe it will help to change your script to
    ConvertToYV12(Interlaced=true)

My problem turned out to be that I was identifying my source as interlaced, but it was actually telecined progressive.
    When I changed the script parameters for ConvertTo and for DeSpot to Interlaced=false, I got good results.
    Try your script both ways and see what happens.

Your source is pretty spotty alright.
    I had a short segment about 50% as bad as that, and ran DeSpot AND RemoveDirt and got it really clean, but other eyes might think it got somewhat softened in the process. this was the script I used for that.

Code:
    pPath = "C:\Program Files\Avisynth 2.5\Plugins\"
    LoadPlugin(pPath+"despot.dll") 
    LoadPlugin(pPath+"RemoveDirt.dll") 
    AviSource("c:\__CAP\Test-22s.avi") 
    #input MUST be YV12 for deSpot
    ConvertToYV12(Interlaced=False)

DeSpot(interlaced=false, pwidth=35, pheight=70,
    \  p1=18, p2=10, seg=0, dilate=0,
    \ mthres=16, mwidth=20, mheight=15, merode=33, motpn=true, 
    \ ranked=false, p1percent=0,  blur=1, tsmooth=3 ,show=0)

RemoveDirt(pthreshold=25,cthreshold=40,mthreshold=200,athreshold=80,show=0)
    I like both these filters a lot, but you might have to dig to find a working link for the old RemoveDirt.DLL version from 2004, the new version is a function instead and very different now.

For DeSpot if you set Show =1, it will mark the spots it will remove in pink / red. That can help you to tweak the settings.

Hope some of this was a little bit helpful.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grannyGeek
    For DeSpot if you set Show =1, it will mark the spots it will remove in pink / red. That can help you to tweak the settings.

I tried the Show=1 and it highlights all the good backround stuff and none of the dirt and spots!

I have interlaced source. I changed the interlace command in the convertTo and in the Despot command line and it did not help. I even converted the source to Progressive and change the script accordingly and it recognizes the same things as bad.

Not sure what to tweak. I will see if I can find the DLL you mentioned.

Thanks!

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I like both these filters a lot, but you might have to dig to find a working link for the old RemoveDirt.DLL version from 2004, the new version is a function instead and very different now.

I found the 0.6.1 which was the latest 2004 version. When I put RemoveDirt.dll in the load line it fails to load. The Zip came with a RemoveDirtS.dll file. When I put that in the line it loads without error. What's the difference between them?

Thanks!

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Crummy buttons! My post got swallowed by the ghost in the machine.
    I'll try again.

Ok, first thing is a reminder that I AM a rookie, so hope I don't give you any bad info

You might want to post at the "official" DeSpot thread ---
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=59388&highlight=despot

I want to try out your avi, but even tho I am on DSL, it says 1hr 45mn to download 70 mb.
    Could you upload a very short clip of 30 frames or so?

I tried with your m2v file, and didn't have much luck. Only about 5% cleaned, I'm afraid.
    Is the original source interlaced camcorder footage?
    Did you do any filtering before you converted the capture to m2v?

I know Fizick designed DeSpot primarily for progressive film source, so I don't know if interlacing has anything to do with its failure to do good cleaning on your clip. I've never worked with true interlaced source , so not sure.
    I also note that most of your spots last three frames, so the filter might believe they belong to the video. Most of mine last one or two frames, and do get cleaned.

I checked your m2v with Show = 1, and quite a lot was marked in red for removal, but didn't get removed.
    When I checked with Show = 2 (marks noise in white, motion in gray), most of the spots that had been marked in red previously were now flagged with gray as motion. That's why I'm wondering if the 3-frame duration is affecting things.

I also tried adding DePan to the script as recommended in DeSpot guide, but didn't see any improvement. To be honest, I don't see much difference either way with my own captures either.

as to RemoveDirtS -
    The dll without the "s" calls other files in your Windows folder, so its failure probably means you don't have those files installed.
    The one WITH the "S" has those required files packaged inside, so it is a larger file.
    Truthfully, I haven't studied the RemoveDirt guide in depth to know how to really tweak it, I'm using settings copied from the RemoveDirt thread at doom9 forum.
    The guide is jam-packed with mathmatical jargon, and my eyes and my patience give out about two paragraphs in

so, anyway, I hope you will post a shorter untouched avi clip for me to fiddle with. no other filters applied, just the original capture.
    I get such good results from these filters, I'd like to see the same for you.

Let me know ---

gG
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will create a new file with picvideo 19 compression and a smaller range so the file won't be so big. Sorry but my bandwidth is crummy.

My footage is interlaced and watched on TV when done. I've always read that you should leave it interlaced. Should I be deinterlacing my stuff?

I will keep it the same name, should be out there in the next 1/2 hour.

LS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    First, you're asking too much from DeSpot. Your "spots" are way too large to remove without also taking out a LOT of film detail.

Second, this looks like a film source (8 mm?) with 2:3 pulldown applied, but it really isn't. It looks like some blotched attempt to IVTC has been applied, with the extra frames not removed.

Third, it looks like every fifth frame is slighly offset downward.

What is the source of your original? Was it recorded off the TV? Did you have some 8mm film transfered to video? Somewhere along the conversion chain your video got terribly, terribly blotched.
    ICBM target coordinates:
    26 14' 10.16"N -- 80 16' 0.91"W
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SLK001
    What is the source of your original? Was it recorded off the TV? Did you have some 8mm film transfered to video? Somewhere along the conversion chain your video got terribly, terribly blotched.
    It is DV footage of a 8mm film. Nothing converted except for MSU Deflicker filter.
    This particular film bounces up and down when projected. I cannot get it to stop. All my other 8mm stuff is smooth. I put another post out there to see if I can tweak Depan or Deshake tofix just the vertical motion.

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    After running it through Deshaker to get the jumping removed the despot seemed to really like it. It cleaned up a bunch, and some it shouldn't have but I'm tweaking that.

I've tried everyt setting I can for Descratch and it doesn'
    t touch the vertical lines but the footage is looking much bettter now.

THanks everyone!

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey LS, sorry I've been away the last few days.
    I'm glad things are starting to work out for you.

I'll try out deScratch (first-time user) and see if I can figure out how to use it.

Good luck to you, please post back how DeScratch is working.

Granny
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hey LS, sorry I've been away the last few days.
    I'm glad things are starting to work out for you.

I'll try out deScratch (first-time user) and see if I can figure out how to use it.

Good luck to you, please post back how DeScratch is working.

Granny
    I've tried all the samples I can find on the net for a command line for Descratch and it never does anything. Maybe it's my footage not sure but it doesn't effect anything.

I found the AKVIS Retoucher plugin and it does a awesome job of critical retoration footage but man is it time consuming.

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LS --
    I'm so sorry, but I can't work with your PicVideo clip.

My installation of Pinnacle Studio has a known issue, that it breaks the PicVideo codec.
    When I try to open a PicVideo clip, I get a DEP error that locks down Windows Explorer until I delete the clip.

Any chance you could encode with a DV codec, such as free PanasonicDV ?
    or Huffyuv?
    Or maybe even Uncompressed for a very short piece?

I'm feeling the challenge, I really want try working with this video and see what I can learn.
    Let me know. . . .

Meanwhile, I'm going to go check out the Retoucher plugin that you found, it sounds interesting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I load my uncompressed avi into Corel Photo Paint v13 and highlight the bad spots with a highlighter brush. Hit the plugin and it removes them. But this is one frame at a time but the cleaning will be nearly perfect.

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here is a small clip. OK, smaller in hhuffyuv. I moved it to my other server which is a little faster but not fast.

http://www.ct-iowa.com/spots.avi

I have not applied the deshake filter to it. I might do that then upload it again.

Change the name to spots2.avi in a while. I will work on putting that out there now.

LS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    LS, I'll give it a go over the weekend.

Just for grins, so-to-speak.

I imagine the $100 plugins earn their keep, but Free Is Me!

Later ---
    granny
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hey, LS-
    You did some work on that new sample -
    Your new uploaded clip is tons cleaner than your first sample.
    I bit the bullet and downloaded the m2v clip, and about all I managed to do was soften out the details using DeSpot and DeScratch.

The only thing of note that I think I learned is that to use DeScratch on interlaced source, you apparently must SeparateFields, as shown in the DeScratch documentation for the example of vhs cleaning.

I don't have any other interlaced material to learn on, so I don't know if the behavior I'm seeing is normal for all interlaced, or just your capture.
    On my own film-source vhs that I IVTC to 100% progressive, the spots are pretty much erased.
    On your interlaced source, they only get muted down, so instead of a black spot, I end up with a gray spot.

And my scripts keep crashing VirtualDubMod

I guess I'll just keep poking away at it and see if I can solve the mysteries.

I'm sorry I didn't find the magic bullet for you.

ah, but that's the adventure isn't it - seeking, and sometimes finding, and what a thrill it is when you do find the solution.

later----
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I cleaned my film again and again then took apart my projector and cleaned all three lenses, then put all new grease and lube in all the right spots.

It runs soo much better now.

LS

The lense in the middle had a slight haze on it which I could not see by pulling out the whole lense assembly and peering through it. Total disasembly showed how bad the glass was.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I don't want to try to hijack the thread, but it's on topic for me, i think
    I am also having probelms with despot (although, i've gotten descratch to work well for me)

My original video is an MPEG, but i took a short sample out, encoded it with XVID, and i am trying to work with it to make things easier.

Here's a screenshot from VirtulDubMod (click for full view)

as you can see, the spot i want removed gets highlighted, but doesn't get removed

i would appreciate any help

here's the file (3.5 MBs)
    http://www.earthbound-misfit.com/random/1.avi

and here's the script that i am using
    Code:
    #load plugins
    pPath = "C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\"
    LoadPlugin(pPath + "despot.dll")

#load the video
    original = AviSource("C:\Documents and Settings\root\Desktop\1.avi")
    original = original.crop(100, 0, 500, 480)
    original = original.ConvertToYV12()

#remove spots
    markSpots = original.DeSpot(show=1, p1=35, p2=14, pwidth=70, pheight=70, mthres=25, mwidth=20, mheight=15, interlaced=false, merode=33, ranked=false, p1percent=0, dilate=0, fitluma=false, blur=0, motpn=false, seg=0)
    removeSpot = original.DeSpot(p1=35, p2=14, pwidth=70, pheight=70, mthres=25, mwidth=20, mheight=15, interlaced=false, merode=33, ranked=false, p1percent=0, dilate=0, fitluma=false, blur=0, motpn=false, seg=0)

#preview
    original = original.AddBorders(0, 240, 0, 240, $000099)
    original = original.Subtitle("Original", align=2, size=24, y=715, text_color=$ff0000)
    removeSpot = removeSpot.Subtitle("Spots removed", align=2,size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    markSpots = markSpots.Subtitle("Mark Spots", align=2,size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    StackHorizontal(original , StackVertical(markSpots, removeSpot))
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi PlayWithFire
    Your original thread was one of the ones I was watching while I was trying to learn to use DeSpot.

I think the dirt on your video is so difficult to remove because it lasts for so many frames (I had a try with no luck either - sorry)

But please, could you post your DeScratch script that worked?
    I've had no luck at all with that one.

Do you still have the VHS tapes?
    If so, have you tried capturing from them instead of using the DVD files?

I really think you should post to the official DeSpot thread, Fizick, who wrote DeSpot, usually responds to posts in that thread. He works a lot with restoring 8mm film and might have some thoughts for you.
    http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=59388&highlight=despot

If this film is very precious to you, you might have to consider retouching frame-by-frame.
    LSchafroth seems happy with the AKVIS Retoucher plugin, and NeatImage has a free-for-noncommercial-use Noise-Reduction plugin that works with PhotoShop, PaintShopPro, and some other graphics editors. Don't know how effective it would be on large spots and blots, tho.
    http://www.neatimage.com/download.html

I'm sure there are other "photo-retoucher" plugins out there in the world as well.
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    grannyGeek, thanks for the help
    I will post the working descratch script when i get home tonight, i've had some pretty good results with it.

i will go post in the official thread to see if can get some answers. I am not expecting any miracles, but i think i should at least see some improvement.

i don't have a way to capture video of the VHS for two reasons: i don't have a VCR, and even if i get one from someone, it won't be able to read PAL. But, i am happy with the quality from the DVD for now

i haven't looked into frame by frame restoration, because this is just the first video clip, out of 2 hours of video that i have. But, i will check it out, since there are some single frames that are badly damaged, but easily fixed with Photoshop.

P.S. my gmail spam filter keeps eating e-mails from videohelp for some reason.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I wondered about using your original vhs to capture, because
    (remember, I'm a noob, and could be way off-base) it seems like the dvd conversion made some kind of mixture of blended frames, interlaced frames, and some seem so clean that they appear progressive.
    I don't know how to analyse the clip to be sure of that, though.

But, my thinking was that the dvd conversion affected the video source to the point that DeSpot cannot do its analysis correctly.
    (plus that most of the blots last for many frames, so to the filter, they appear to belong to the video)

That would probably be a question to post at doom9, and see if it is a valid theory, or a total wacky idea.

let us know how you get on with this.

Looking forward to seeing your DeScratch script
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am pretty much ready to give up on even getting despot to work. I looked at the first AviSynth script that was suggested to me here https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1536637#1536637 and i can't even get that to work on AviSynth.
    This is all way too overwhelming, and i have been starting at the exact same 5 minute clip for the last month, and have made ZERO progress. I have no idea where else to go from here.

Here's the descratch script that i am using that seems to be doing a decent job

#load the video
    original = DirectShowSource("I:\Home Video Project\mpg2cut2\1.MPG")

#remove scratches
    LoadPlugin("C:\Program Files\AviSynth 2.5\plugins\descratch.dll")
    noScratch = original.Descratch(mindif=1, minlen=10)

#preview
    original = original.Subtitle("Original", align=2, size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    noScratch = noScratch.Subtitle("Scratches removed", align=2,size=24, text_color=$ff0000)
    StackHorizontal(original, noScratch)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm so sorry it's going so badly for you.

I will try this weekend to try your clip with tweaked parameters, but I have the feeling your current source is beyond DeSpot's capability.
    As I noted earlier in this thread, I had problems due to incorrectly identifying my source as interlaced when it was actually telecined progressive.

maybe your problem is because your source has some blended frames ?
    Can you borrow a vcr to try a new capture?

I'm sorry, I have nothing new to offer except moral support, and the very strong suggestion that you post to the DeSpot thread at doom9.

good luck, post back what happens.
    grannyGeek ~~
    Antique Newbie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by PlayWithFire
    I am pretty much ready to give up on even getting despot to work.
    I'm inclined to agree with you. Despot and Descratch do not do much at all. After 6 months of trying everything everyone throws at me for scripts and suggestions it does very little.

The only method I have found that works is to use a video editor with the cleaning filter a frame at a time. It works excellent, but oh so painstakingly slow!

LS
    Quote Quote