VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. I'd love to be able to start a poll to get rid of this sticky https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=354834#354834. All its doen is really provoking trouble and asking people to dog on each other. Its been like preschool round here lately.If the mods miss somthing, chances are the thilth (MPAA or what ever other "scary" crap gets talked about) will not see it either, so there is no reason for the sticky, or just mod up the people that report in that sticky,as it seems to be the same 5 or 6 people over & over & over again, and lets face it, thats exactly what there tryen to do (mod up). The feedback is plenty...........Thanks...........Baldy? your the man.

Denis
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think its still necessary. The mods can see potential problems. If its deemed not to be a problem the thread can remain open. The issue is not all the mods can see everything out there. There has to be a community police system for a site this large. I'd say for the most part it serves its purpose. And people can see what type of behavior is acceptable and what isn't.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Overall, I think the report sticky has been a good thing and should remain. Abusers will be dealt with by the mods the same as any other violation or abuse, but as it says in the sticky, they can't catch everything by themselves and appreciate reports of questionable activity. And I agree with Yoda313, it helps people understand acceptable behavior.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We will try with a closed report function. It is just to click on the "Report this post"-link and enter a reason and it will be posted in our moderator forum.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by yoda313
    I think its still necessary. The mods can see potential problems. If its deemed not to be a problem the thread can remain open. The issue is not all the mods can see everything out there. There has to be a community police system for a site this large. I'd say for the most part it serves its purpose. And people can see what type of behavior is acceptable and what isn't.
    Sorry polly, I didn't mean to step on your toes with the poll idea LOL!!!. You are right when you say it serves its purpose, but how many flair ups does it cause. I reckon if you's changed it at least where they can report the thread to the mods only, (JUST the link, no reason. If YOU MODS can't see whats wrong after being pointed to the link then it doesn't deserve to be recognised. BTW without any one else being able to see either) you could PM the OP to warn them & tell them what they did wrong. Most people don't realise they have done somthing wrong anyway, so there is no reason to show them up in front of eveyone, when the same could be acheived by PM without the gang ups..........Thanks

P.S. sorry baldy, didn't mean to basicaly repeat what you just said.
    Denis
    Quote Quote  
  6. I kind of like the new reporting system, but I can see some drawbacks. Reporting doubleposts might get confusing because you have to report each one individually. Someone else may report something in between so it might not be readily apparent. Also you can't see if someone else has already reported something, so you may end up with a whole bunch of reports for the same thing.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just report one of the double posts....as we can use the "View users post" to easily find the other post.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    At first i agreed with G)-(OST... do away with the "report" thread/sticky, hire more mods, invoke martial law!!! Do away with them all!!! And i know who could be in charge...
    Yeah right

Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    All its doen is really provoking trouble and asking people to dog on each other.
    Nah... i've been floating around here for many a years and it's pretty rare it get's bad and it's usually dealt with pretty fast....
    That's like banning a country of 20 million people from driving just because 1 or 2 people have not learned to use the brakes and keep crashing

Originally Posted by gadgetguy
    I kind of like the new reporting system, but I can see some drawbacks. Reporting doubleposts might get confusing because you have to report each one individually. Someone else may report something in between so it might not be readily apparent. Also you can't see if someone else has already reported something, so you may end up with a whole bunch of reports for the same thing.
    They are the one's that get to see 20, 30, 50 of the same thing and try and sort them out

But seriously, i agreed with you and yoda and was amazed Baldrick tried it so fast 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Also you can't see if someone else has already reported something, so you may end up with a whole bunch of reports for the same thing.
    That's the first thing that came to my mind.
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    So you may end up with a whole bunch of reports for the same thing.
    Nope, you can keep reporting same post but just the first report will be posted.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    So you may end up with a whole bunch of reports for the same thing.
    Nope, you can keep reporting same post but just the first report will be posted.
    Thanks Baldrick. I like the new system.
    Quote Quote  
  12. G)-(OST wrote:
    All its doen is really provoking trouble and asking people to dog on each other.

Nah... i've been floating around here for many a years and it's pretty rare it get's bad and it's usually dealt with pretty fast....
    That's like banning a country of 20 million people from driving just because 1 or 2 people have not learned to use the brakes and keep crashing
    Yeh BUT!!! Its the fastest way to make an enemy. Is this what its there for? Like, its getten rediculous, more concentration on what people are doen wrong than what the site was intended for
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    NOW it gives people the opportunity to dog on each other with total anonymity (excluding mods of course).

Here are some of the pros and cons as I see it:

Having an RTP thread:
    PROs:
    Shows people (bystanders) what is and isn't acceptable
    Other users can readily see if a post has already been reported (circumvented by Baldrick's fix)
    Mods always leave a comment, so reporters can be certain that a mod has looked at it

CONs:
    A lot of people seem to find a "wanna-be mod" (their words) or snitch to be threatening
    Reported posts can sometimes be a beacon for trollers - aka a "pile-on"

Not having an RTP thread:
    PROs:
    People can report things without fear of retribution from onlookers

CONs:
    People don't get working examples of what is and isn't acceptable
    No feedback to reporter that mods have looked at the post
    No feedback to everyone else that post has been reported

Personally I was happy with the RTP thread being visible to all. There was a strict "no-discussion" policy which was well-enforced and I guess the only drawbacks were the negativity towards anyone who posted a report and the pile-on effect.

Whilst I'm on my soapbox, WTF is the go with "wanna-be mod" ? Just because someone reports something, doesn't mean they want to have to put up with the thankless crap that is being a moderator. If they start a thread in Feedback with the title " I want to be a mod", then they're a wanna-be mod

If YOU MODS can't see whats wrong after being pointed to the link then it doesn't deserve to be recognised.
    There has been more than 1 occasion when I've had to report things two or three times before the mods worked out WTF I was talking about. I guess now the mod that views the report will need to PM the reporter if they need more info.

Most people don't realise they have done somthing wrong anyway
    Agree, to a point. There are some occasions where a poster clearly did not bother to read the rules at all. Ignorance is no excuse. However I agree with a bit of leniency for those who are new. Those who have been around a while have no excuses, however.

And after all, most of the rules are in place to keep order, keep the site free from any potential legal issues and to make the place pleasant, where true "discussions" and difference of opinion can take place without name-calling or ridiculing.

But, as always, I'll roll with it
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  14. NOW it gives people the opportunity to dog on each other with total anonymity (excluding mods of course).
    Sounds good to me. What ya don't know, wont hurt ya. Anyway, I'm happy now. Thanks Baldy

Denis

P.S. R.I.P. Croc Hunter
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by Baldrick
    Just report one of the double posts....as we can use the "View users post" to easily find the other post.
    OK, that'll work.

I should have known you'd figure out a way to avoid that confusion.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  16. My 2 cents (as a mod)

I had thought the majority appreciated seeing the report function working in public. Sure it got catty on rare occasions, but that was a small price to pay for transparency of the process imo. Also if it upset you, you did not have to watch.

However since many seem happy to have functions of this site taken away from public view - so be it - no skin off my nose. Things will be smoother now... even smoother if we could just "disappear posts" that are threadjacking or argumentative :P

BTW in no way was it a proving ground for moderator status as suggested by Ghost - that idea I reject strenuously. Moderators earn their stripes many times over, and it is a far from glamours role - trust me on this.

Oh well.. back to the bat cave
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    In my opinion, removing the Report thread is counter-productive.

I also object fervently against what ghost posted. It is sour, bitter and full of venom. It is an insult to both the mods and the people who help clean up this place (and that's not just "snitching", but also putting topics in their right sections, consolidation multiple/cross posts, etc.)

It is nice to see how this community works. Everyone gets to see what precisely is acceptable without having to go to the source (offending post).

I don't buy the notion that the Report thread causes trouble. Let's face it: the troublemakers (aka a-holes) will always stir up crap one way or another. If they can't start a thread bitching about something in the Report thread, they will atagonize members of this board in other ways. It is the a-holes who are the problem, not the Report thread. Guns don't kill people, people yadda yadda yadda...

How long before other stickies are removed because the troublemakers cannot (will not) handle the content within?

When you have a meeting of the minds on a global scale such as this, you are bound to have differing opinions. I suppose in the end, it is not a right, but a privilege to post or even see those opinions and their consequences.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that'll work.
    More work for the mod's as member's posted both links so they were right there 8)

I should have known you'd figure out a way to avoid that confusion.
    That seem's to me it address's if the same person does the reporting, But if 20 diff. people report the same thing

I Agree with jimmalenko, offline & Supreme2k except for this....

Originally Posted by offline
    However since many seem happy to have functions of this site taken away from public view - so be it - no skin off my nose. Things will be smoother now... even smoother if we could just "disappear posts" that are threadjacking or argumentative :P
    Maybe i missed something, but the majority seem's to agree with keeping it ?
    The only person i recall complaining about getting rid of it is the OP [/b]
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko

If YOU MODS can't see whats wrong after being pointed to the link then it doesn't deserve to be recognised.
    There has been more than 1 occasion when I've had to report things two or three times before the mods worked out WTF I was talking about. I guess now the mod that views the report will need to PM the reporter if they need more info.
    I am sure when clarity is required the moderators we have here will without a doubt be in contact with the person reporting the thread. It might even be a good idea to send a generic feedback PM when the report thread is checked similiar to how the mods did so when the report sticky thread was visible. This would let the reporter know that their report was read. Just an idea and if this could be automated it would relieve the moderator to handling the reported thread and not composing a PM to the good samaritan.

Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Most people don't realise they have done somthing wrong anyway
    Agree, to a point. There are some occasions where a poster clearly did not bother to read the rules at all. Ignorance is no excuse. However I agree with a bit of leniency for those who are new. Those who have been around a while have no excuses, however.
    Agreed there are times when I have made reports for threads posted by people who I truely believe they had no idea what they were doing is wrong, not only here but also in the eyes of most law enforcement. No longer will anyone need to see that I am reporting these threads and the need for informing the individual(AKA Double Dipping) will no longer be required. In my opinion, a Win-Win situation. Thanks Baldrick and the VH Mods for this very wise and well thought out decision to make reporting violations private between the site staff and the person making the report.

Another Brilliant
    Quote Quote  
  20. Maybe i missed something, but the majority seem's to agree with keeping it ?
    The only person i recall complaining about getting rid of it is the OP
    YEH!!! WHO?? The people who post in that sticky? That really counts. All i see is people looking to get there daily sob story. Watch days of our lives if you want that.

Now its even clearer, these people who post in that sticky are the only ones that care. Soapy hopey's.

I also object fervently against what ghost posted. It is sour, bitter and full of venom. It is an insult to both the mods and the people who help clean up this place (and that's not just "snitching", but also putting topics in their right sections, consolidation multiple/cross posts, etc.)
    Your just sad you wont be on a power trip in front of everyone, ""look what I spoted! you can buy it from here!"" Most people are! honest here, that's probably your problem.

BTW in no way was it a proving ground for moderator status as suggested by Ghost - that idea I reject strenuously. Moderators earn their stripes many times over, and it is a far from glamours role - trust me on this.
    What was it you did to become a mod? Baldy must of thought you were a good bloke, No one is holding you in that position, if you didn't want to be there and if it wasn't a ""glamours role"" as you put it, you realy have no reason to be there, as I see it, your a volenteer, to keep a bit of order @ VH, you don't get paid, so why be there if you don't think its a ""glamours role"".

Its good to see that the boss listen's to us lower posting, status members as well......Thanks

To many cheifs, not enough indian's.

Denis
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Quote Quote  
  22. The report this post sticky is a vey useful tool for us mods, as vitualis says we cant check evey single post, but it has in the past caused ill feeling between members on numerous occasion. It has been decided to have the thread in the mod forum as we are the only ones that need to view it, so reports can now be made with anonimity.
    Please keep this discussion civil
    Quote Quote  
  23. Thanks craig. Sorry to get a little Feisty. I'm not a fan of someone being a ""copper & a c*nt"". Your a great mod and i commend you for it.

Denis
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    ""copper & a c*nt"".
    How ironic is it that the OP provides us arguably with a worse example than what he was proporting to oppose.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by G)-(OST
    ... YEH!!! WHO?? The people who post in that sticky? That really counts. All i see is people looking to get there daily sob story. Watch days of our lives if you want that.

Now its even clearer, these people who post in that sticky are the only ones that care. Soapy hopey's...
    As one who occasionally posted in the report thread, I take offense at your characterization, and wholeheartedly disagree. My observation was that for the most part, the people that posted were the ones that had read and understood why the rules are there, and care enough about Videohelp.com to keep it up and running. The sticky was a request for help from the Mods, and when I saw something that I thought violated the rules, I reported it, unless someone else already had. This is normally what I saw posted in the thread. The occasional abuser was dealt with as needed and we moved on. Just like in any other thread. I do not and never have had a desire to become a mod, but I respect and admire those that take on the responsibilty. It's a thankless job, but is required for the smooth operation of this or any web forum.

So for those of you who are mods, THANK YOU. (There, now it's not entirely thankless).
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
  26. @ OFFY: That's an old aussie term, I thought you might understand, but any way........

Thank you to everyone that commented in this thread. I am requesting that someone now lock or delete this thread, as there is no further use, & nothing left to gain.........Thankyou.

Regards Denis.

[EDIT] (Cool I found the edit button) Leave it open
    Quote Quote  
  27. It might be useful to place a new sticky explaining the Report this Post feature and how and when to use it.
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, there was nothing to gain by creating this thread.

Since you have a problem with this thread being open, why don't you use the spiffy new RTP link?

To the mods, is it possible to deny "ownership" of threads? The very nature of discussion boards is viral, so the threads often become property of those participating, while still belonging only to the boards. Just as an OP can't order a thread be unlocked, they shouldn't be allowed to order it locked (but they can request it, just like anything else).

My thought is that any thread should remain open until it gets out of hand. If people want to post, so be it, as long as they're not being disruptive. It shouldn't be "just because" or "it has served its purpose" (in only one person's opinion).
    Quote Quote  
  29. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you to everyone that commented in this thread. I am requesting that someone now lock or delete this thread, as there is no further use, & nothing left to gain.........Thankyou.

Regards Denis.
    We are only locking topics that are going out of hand.

And I haven't decided yet if a closed report topic is the best solution so all comments are still welcome.
    Quote Quote  
  30. We are only locking topics that are going out of hand.
    OK, are you telling me to stir up some trouble? LOL

And I haven't decided yet if a closed report topic is the best solution so all comments are still welcome.
    Yeh I love playschool. Woopdededoo

Since you have a problem with this thread being open, why don't you use the spiffy new RTP link?
    I did!!!. See, so the new RTP link works. You had no idea.
    Quote Quote