VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2
FirstFirst 1 2
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k

My thought is that any thread should remain open until it gets out of hand. If people want to post, so be it, as long as they're not being disruptive. It shouldn't be "just because" or "it has served its purpose" (in only one person's opinion).
    I think this thread has served it's purpose. Now that makes two people or 20% of the posters in this thread.

Disruptive for you is people who post opinions opposite to your own or post facts about the laws governing the actions being taken by some people within the thread, or any opinion that is in agreement with those who provide most of the purpose for a video forum(the audio/visual industry). There is a wanna-be mod around here and his nick starts with an EDIT and ends in EDIT. At least that is the way this persons posts always seem to come across.

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Please do not mention specific members - your post has been edited to remove the identifying reference.
    / Moderator offline
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Baldrick: With this new way of reporting posts, yo say that only the first report of a post is recorded and duplicates get ignored. Does it go as far as identifying that a certain post is within a certain thread?

An example helps here. This post...

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1572413#1572413

...is in this thread:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=308357

Would that be picked up even though they're different URLs? More imprtantly, do you care?

Disclaimer: Links chosen as examples only and not singling anyone out.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I must admit that I do check some of the reported threads to see who posted something and what the mods decided. There have been some topics where even the mods weren't sure but erred on the side of caution.

For example at one time, downloading missed tv shows seemed ok (as long as you normallly receive the show at home ie cable or satellite). Even the admin admitted to downloading missed tv shows and then later corrected this to meaning that he got them from friends when he missed an episode. The interpretation of the rule has evolved even further to "capture your own tv shows but don't get them anywhere else". Had I not been keeping tabs on reported threads I may have missed this change in application.
    (I'm not opening a new discussion. The TV subject is now clearly defined. I'm just giving an example of the usefulness of the thread.

During the past year or so it's drm. I don't have any such files but there is certainly interest in seing what is acceptable discussion and what is not at Videohelp.

The report this thread (until it is cleaned up and restarted) points to threads like this which may be beneficial to the membership.

The majority of the time there is nothing new to learn, it's purely to satisfy curiousity as to what new trouble somebody got into or who has done the reporting

Not to direct attention elsewhere but this is another reason why I suggested feedback (including reporting threads) be for members only. This alone would force me to login everytime I visit.

The idea of mod only viewing of reports may prevent some bad feelings if it is hidden from members but I suspect that the one reporting a thread will likely make a negative comment in the original thread anyway so it may not matter if their identity is hidden. Reporting spammers is a pleasure and no-one cares if they see our id. The new users who make mistakes and are reported won't be upset at experienced users. A few old timers may genuinely mess up or get into an area that requires clarification and not mind if their thread is reported. The others have probably been dissing each other forever in a love hate relationship and already know who reported them.
    Quote Quote  
  4. The majority of the time there is nothing new to learn, it's purely to satisfy curiousity as to what new trouble somebody got into or who has done the reporting
    Mate!!! You said it all, I respect that

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. Please do not mention specific members - your post has been edited to remove the identifying reference.
    / Moderator offline
    Well, the Belted Earl has spoken.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Daamon, when you report a post, it is the individual post that gets reported not the entire thread, same as with the old system. So 2 different posts in the same thread can be reported and will not be recorded as duplicates.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by G)-(OST

/ Moderator offline
    Well, the Belted Earl has spoken.
    Tell me about it. Several others including moderators have used full names to describe people in this thread. If you post in a thread your name is fair game I always thought. I guess that only applies if your name isn't ROF or you are a wanna-be mod like the only person posting flat out against the current reporting thread disappearance in this thread. I use initials and I get a warning. AH! Well, changed links, biased rulings, I guess that's what VH is all about now.

The person I spoke about can be found 3rd from the bottom on the first page and sometimes referred to as a Casual Observer or the person I quoted in that edited post.

BTW, why did I get the warning while others including the moderator who gave me the warning has used full names when discussing people within this thread?

You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. You have repeated the previous offence to which you were formally warned. The term "name" can be reasonably interpreted as identification in any way, for the purposes and the spirit of the rule. Feedback is not the place to continue a dispute by making disparaging remarks about a specific member. Find somewhere else if you want to carry on your quarrel.

/ Moderator offline
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You are in breach of the forum rules and are being issued with a formal warning. You have repeated the previous offence to which you were formally warned. The term "name" can be reasonably interpreted as identification in any way, for the purposes and the spirit of the rule. Feedback is not the place to continue a conflict by making disparaging remarks about a specific member. Find somewhere else if you want to carry on your quarrel.

Sorry, just pointing out the obvious. In any case, VH better change the way someone is quoted because when you quote the persons name is specifically attached and sometimes it is done with vicious intent to quote that person by name. If that is the rule the quoting system here violates that rule and should be issued a yellow card.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I do like how the reporting works now, but I still believe there is value in publicly displaying the reports so people can see what's acceptible and what's not. Is there a way to display the report thread so people can see what's being reported, but not show who made each report to maintain the anonymity?
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just to (hopefully, in my own words) explain the "name" rule:

Posting "gadgetguy has been a jerk throughout this whole thread. That idiot should be banned!" is an insult specifically aimed at another member and is breaking the rules. Thus, the name usage comes up. Posting "There are quite a few troublemakers/warez monkeys/spammers that need to be on display" is very general and is not breaking the rules.

Posting "gadgetguy, did you use 2 or 3 pass for encoding?" or "gadgetguy's method can be further improved by using PCM audio instead of AC-3." is addressing and referring to another member in a non-threatening or passive manner. Even posting "gadgetguy's method may produce non-compliant DVDs, so use a RW to see for yourself.", while disagreeing, does not insult.

BTW, no offense to gadgetguy. He was just the last to post before me

-----------------------------------------

Honestly, just after the couple of days, I don't really miss the RTP thread, but it is a major milestone.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think the real issue is personal attacks, regardless of how you specify who it's directed at. If I said 'the poster above me is an idiot' (again, you just posted before me, I have no beef with anyone here), I've skirted the name rule, but the effect is the same.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    But then again, that is very specific, as opposed to "some people (in this thread)".

"The poster above me" can be considered a pronoun. You are still addressing a certain person without using their VH alias.

And to adress the post below me (time warp ), you can say "the U.S. president" and people will still know that you mean G.W. Bush.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    They usually resort to the specific 'a Casual Observer' when the general hints aren't taken.
    Nothing can stop me now, 'cause I don't care anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  13. We are only locking topics that are going out of hand.

And I haven't decided yet if a closed report topic is the best solution so all comments are still welcome.
    Yeh, I can see that the comments that are comming in thick & fast by all the "different" (10) members is very beneficial to you. Just leave this thread open....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by person
    We are only locking topics that are going out of hand.

And I haven't decided yet if a closed report topic is the best solution so all comments are still welcome.
    Yeh, I can see that the comments that are comming in thick & fast by all the "different" (10) members is very beneficial to you. Just leave this thread open....
    Attacking the admin is Not a good idea.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Attacking the admin is Not a good idea.
    It's not a good idea that you talk out of school
    Quote Quote  
  16. Please keep this on-topic and civilised.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Craig Tucker
    Daamon, when you report a post, it is the individual post that gets reported not the entire thread, same as with the old system. So 2 different posts in the same thread can be reported and will not be recorded as duplicates.
    Cheers - It occurred to me I was being dim.

Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Attacking the admin is not a good idea.
    Attacking anyone is just plain unneccessary.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Attacking anyone is just plain unneccessary.
    yep

Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  19. wait, so the thread to report posts was removed and we have to use the "report this post" function? When did this happen? I kind of liked it, as it showed other users what is inappropriate on these forums. Now you will have multiple users submitting same problem threads.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Now you will have multiple users submitting same problem threads.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1571376#1571376
    His name was MackemX

What kind of a man are you? The guy is unconscious in a coma and you don't have the guts to kiss his girlfriend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    How does one upload a screenshot to point out what they're reporting a post for ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I guess with the new reporting methods, you're rather limited to what you can report. In the case of what jim asks above, it also very easy for a mod to miss a screenshot that may contain warez.

I guess you can only just link to the post and explain the reporting and leave the rest for a mod to deal with.

And as for this case:

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1571376#1571376

Only the first post get posted for reporting, what if in the case, the concerning post conained warez, mods checks it and says its OK (and by mistake misses the warez part), does that mean the post cent be reported again.

I do like the new system of reporting, especially when its confidendial for the person who reports a post but do feel it does have some drawbacks.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I believe this reporting method is much better. On the rare occasion that more info needs to be reported than is possible on the "Report this Post" function, it's simple enough to PM a moderator with more detailed input. The elimination of a way for the psychologically disturbed to use the previous reporting system to play their sick little games is a vast improvement.

Since the banning of one of the most notoriously disturbed members, the quality of the discussion threads has dramatically improved.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    How does one upload a screenshot to point out what they're reporting a post for ?
    Good point - thanks, Jim! I'll bring it up in the Mod forum and see if there's any way we could get a facility added.
    Quote Quote