XMedia Recode
    Handbrake
    Any Video Converter Free

Trialware:
    DVDFab
    Winavi Video Converter
    Total Video Converter
    River Past Video Cleaner
    ConvertXtoDVD (only to DVD but best for that!)

See also
    https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/all-in-one-video-converters
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Allok 3gp and mp4 applications support flv format
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There is known issue with latest version of Super (build 19). It install multiple .dll as system files in WINDOWS/System32. Since it is installed as system file, you can't see it (hidden) and you can't change it (read only). Can only see them if you turned on your folder options to see hidden files. This will kill program like Cygwin (known issue by many) since some of the dll install (like cygwin.dll) is older (out of date) version from Cygwin which will cause problem with any program that use cygwin.dll (including Cygwin itself). And there are quite a few freeware programs that use those dll and will affected by this.

Worse still, uninstall leaves the rogue hidden dll still there!!! Read-only and hidden in there!!!

This is an appalling programming practice. There has to be a way Super can use cygwin.dll or those hidden dll without screwing up the lives of cygwin users or any program that depended on those dll.

Super is a good program but very bad program design.

People should know about this issue before installing Super in their computer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Add to Free Software: WinFF
    Quote Quote  
  5. Nothing mentioned about

Dr. Divx

and

AGK (auto gordian knot)

and

AVI.net

which are both free and functional
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    which converter support mpeg to avi with mjpeg yuvj420p codec because i didnot get yuvj420p in total video converter. please help
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i love super. recommend it to anyone
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i downloaded super yeserday. the video i converted from flv to avi did not play. I only got the sound.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AutoGK is great and very simple, which fits my simple mind. You can even pick the size of the output file, which solved my problem of 4 GB .avi files. Bleh.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Second vote for WinFF, Functionality of SUPER with far lighter footprint on system: www.biggmatt.com
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So which is the best for converting FLV files? I've tried Super and not been satisfied with it (problems resizing the screen, not being able to use an older version, etc). Would WinFF be the one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    Not sure if you mean converting "to" or "from" FLV, Either way the latest WinFF .3 is quite good at converting to FLV, It's also good at converting FLV to other formats but without major intervention with deblocking filters etc. FLV generally doesn't translate very well to other formats with ANY "swiss-knife" encoder.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I meant converting from FLV. Many thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am relatively new to this. I have many (legally) downloaded .WMV and .MOV files that I want to burn to DVD for viewing on TV.

I've seen many programs advertised - Shareware and Freeware - yet none seem to specifically address this capability.

Can someone help please?

Thank you,

Lyman
    Quote Quote  
  15. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you!

Lyman
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    don't trust in Free software
    Pity, because most of the pay-per format conversion software is rubbish. Converter websites are for those that favour convenience over all other factors, including quality. I would rather have control over what I am getting.

That said, I don't use video dumping grounds like youtube as source material either.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    AviDemux is free and multiformat. also has good filters and the ability to do frame accurate editing in formats it supports. probably the best tool for converting flvs to other formats.
    For conversion to flv1, ffmpeg is the best tool available, WinFF is a good gui for it.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Aone Ultra RM convertor (http://www.aone-soft.com/rmconverter.htm) is the best (so far) I've tried for RMVB conversion. It's not free though. Tried a few others but they all unsynced the audio and video. Many people seem to be using RMVB as an alternative to other compressed formats.
    Quote Quote  
  20. http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

is the only software i tried that converted some RMVB files (real media) to xvid/divx and kept them in synch.

I tried Nero/Tmpg/autoGK/avidemux
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  21. AVISynth + VirtualDub works well for RMVB. Use DirectShowSource("filename.rmvb", FPS=(frame rate), ConvertFPS=true).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, i'm a total newbie to pretty much any & all aspects of video conversion so i hope this is the right place to post this question. In the list of free software above, do any of the converters run on Mac OS X or are they pretty much only for Windows? So far i've only had a chance to go thru the info & website for Super, & i'm getting the impression that it only works on Windows/PCs. For now i'm just getting started w/trying to convert MPEG video to 3GP so they can be played on my cell phone. i'm also basically clueless about most or all of the technical terms, such as "codec", i don't have any idea what that is. Can anyone point me to which s/w is (a) free, (b) runs on Mac OS X, & (c) will convert MPEG/.MPG to 3GP? Thanx for your patience.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Could Super be run using Wine ? Otherwise maybe: [s:6cc820b03b]AviDemux[/s:6cc820b03b], Mencoder, ffmpegX [Videohelp's ffmpegX forum]
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    is there a guide for AVIDEMUX? I've only managed to get it to appear to running the conversion program, but the "converted" file wasn't in an format that media player classic could handle. If AVIDEMUX does convert to .avi from flv does the file stay in sync? I'm looking for a (preferably) freeware program that will do this, WITHOUT having to adjust the audio track timing.
    Quote Quote  
  25. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    agent222: Did you add the .avi extension when you named the file? Because avidemux doesn't add it by default.
    What video and audio codec did you use?

Video codec selection:
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Baldrick
    ConvertXtoDVD.
    It seems this payware program relies very heavily on WinFF, or at least some WinFF components ?
    I made another test disk with it the other day. Here is a very quick rundown of the pros and cons, as I see them:
    [EDIT: Ooops, my bad: meant to say FFMPEG. WinFF is (an unrelated) front end for the latter.]

PROs:
    ConvertX is a "one-stop-shop" that does everything for you, with minimal setup and no heavy lifting on the user's part.
    I threw everything but the kitchen sink at it -- including FLVs, WMVs, DIVX AVI, shorter VOBs {just for curiosity sake}, QuickTime MOVs, ASFs, and some formats that could be more dicey, like .RAM and .TS -- but did not find a format it bailed on.
    Some of the results are pretty decent, better than I expected.

CONs:
    It took several HOURS, from start to finished disc. (This is with 355 meg. worth of input files, on a 2.8Ghz. P4.) I'm wondering if a fast dual core plus more Ram would make much difference here ?
    The quality of results varies tremendously, not always predictable by the visual quality of the input file. It must handle some formats better than others. VOBs should remain VOBs, unless you need to compress them to XVID or something; they come out looking like CRAP if you feed them into ConvertX !
    It will set you back 60 bucks, or whatever the cost in Euros is these days.
    When in Las Vegas, don't miss the Pinball Hall of Fame Museum http://www.pinballmuseum.org/ -- with over 150 tables from 6+ decades of this quintessentially American art form.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hallo? i've got a problem with ffmpeg
    when i convert something to *.wmv not always encoding goes up to the end and almost every file wich was encoded can be opened

as i understood that's a problem with msmpeg4

am i right???

and how to fix it???
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What program is good for converting MP4 files to AVI (or DVD)? I downloaded some video game speedthrus, but they are in MP4 formst and WinAVI doesn't convert them with any sound (just the video is converted). Please let me know about this. I've also tried WinMPG Video Converter, a Win MP4 converter program, and Roxio Creator, but none of them convert the files correctly. When I play the files with the default player, it plays fine (wuth audio and video).

Thanks.
    "it's a me Mario"

(Super Mario 64)
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You can try Quick Media Converter it supports mp4 to avi conversion and besides being very easy and intuitive it supports much more other formats , the latest version includes manual resizing in easy mode also Xbox PS3 Wii conversion.

Good luck

Have a nice day
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by prof_unto
    Add to Free Software: WinFF
    so such program is a complete crap and should not be used at all.
    Quote Quote