VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,
    For a while now, I've been really digging the whole 5.1 "scene". Though, I've found out the hard way that it's virtually impossible to take a mono source and create a 5.1 mix from it. We all know the plethora of reasons behind this, so I won't get into that. Anyway...
    I recently took a clip from a film that has a mono soundtrack and tried to create a 2.0 mix out of it. In my humble opinion, it worked out rather well. This clip has nothing but dialog taking place, so I didn't need to worry about music/sound effects, etc. "getting in the way". Now, as a general consensus, is this a feasible "project"? Any thoughts?
    Also, does anyone have any pointers on restoring a soundtrack? I know that's a loaded question, but this soundtrack needs some serious boosting, but when I do so, there's an enormous amount of hiss as a result... arg!
    I'd just appreciate any various input here.
    Thanks,
    Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. I wouldn't completely write off the notion of creating a 5.1 version of your 2-channel from mono source. With some very subtle convolution with decent quality impulse responses, you could get surround channels that give a sense of ambience to the whole thing. They key is to be subtle. People have a tendency to crank things when working with reverb and it ends up being too much.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi there,
    Thanks for the reply. You know, I'm not just saying this, but I *constantly* use your plugin suite to experiment with creating 5.1 mixes. In fact, I took my 2.0 clip and used those plugins to make a 5.1 mix. It did add a nice atmosphere that wasn't there before.
    - Justin
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi Justin,

I'm glad you're enjoying the plugin. The convolution method I mentioned above is actually something I've tried using V.I and mono material. I fed the convoluted audio through the plugin just for the surrounds (you could use the 2-channel sLsR version for that) and after playing around with levels, I got a very nice sense of ambience. As I wrote above, a little goes a long way.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Is there a version of stand alone version of V.I stereo to 5.1 ? Most of us don't have those host program suite.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It doesn't look like there's a stand-alone version... at least not from what the website shows. You can always ask if he plans to develope a stand-alone version *shrug*
    Quote Quote  
  7. At present, no there is no standalone version. I've been working on one but it won't be ready for some time yet (I'm not a programmer. I did V.I with Synthedit).

There is a completely free method using V.I Suite plugins described in GUIDE: Converting stereo to 5.1 surround for FREE. This uses Foobar2000 with some free bridge plugins to use three 2-channel plugins that come with V.I. It's not quite as convenient as doing it all in one plugin, but it is free and it does work!

Once I have some time to get the standalone version worked out, I'll be sure to post it.

Regards,
    Steve.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Have to say this. The interface of the plug-in looks gorgeous.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks! The funny story behind it is that I was in the process of purchasing a new dark metallic red Toyota Corolla at the time. Thus when I started messing around in Photoshop, the result was the red.
    Quote Quote