VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can the vga output from a pc be split? So one output can go to a tv and the other go to the pc moniter? If it can would it be good quality on both tv and pc? thanks...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In a word, No. Can you get your computer's display to show up on a TV set? Yes, if you have a video card with TV (composite or S-Video) out.

Now if you had a Commodore Amiga (I may be dating myself here), the answer to that would have been yes - Amigas were particularly friendly with NTSC video. They even had a board called a Video Toaster which would let you hook up multiple NTSC sources (through TBCs, of course) and perform really cool effects on them, which you could then dump out to another tape. But an Amiga setup would've been a linear editing system. Not nearly as powerful as the NLE's we have today. But I digress.

CogoSWSDS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If the connector was DVI-I the answer is often yes. But the card and software need to support dual monitor and you need to follow the rules. Usually DVI-I splits VGA and DVI-D.

Many of these cards support a S-Video and/or composite connection as a second monitor.

S-Video quality is medium.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Some PC to TV scan converters have a VGA pass-through output while generating a standard video output.

Here's one that has VGA pass-through with composite, s-video and component video outputs for TV's:

http://www.grandtec.com/xppro.htm
    Quote Quote  
  5. You are limited to your Sony TV's VGA resolution. The $55 VS92 looks good for your application. See :
    http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=20&source=goog...FTw0GgodekUaJw
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    You are limited to your Sony TV's VGA resolution. The $55 VS92 looks good for your application. See :
    http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=20&source=goog...FTw0GgodekUaJw
    This does one VGA to two clone VGA
    http://www.sfcable.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=VS92A

Not VGA and TV as he asked.
    Quote Quote  
  7. He says he has a Sony TV with VGA input, in his other post.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SingSing
    He says he has a Sony TV with VGA input, in his other post.
    Other post?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Says there he wants to go 30 feet from a PC to projection TV with VGA and HDMI inputs. That is pushing it for VGA (use expensive projector double shielded cable) or high quality HDMI. S-Video (SD NTSC resolution) will be fine but high impedance audio will be a problem. Use a sound card feeding optical to a Dolby optical receiver-amp.

30 ft may induce power hum. Keep power connections to the same circuit breaker.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New here, connecting pc to sony KDF-50A10 ? This was my original post. I don't want to make this confusing. My sony tv has a vga and a hdmi input. I need to run about 30 ft. I have a dell pc with a dvi output. and a vga output to the moniter. I'm just trying to find the best way to connect the pc to the tv to watch movies & files from the pc. thanks for all the replys guys....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 67fastback428
    New here, connecting pc to sony KDF-50A10 ? This was my original post. I don't want to make this confusing. My sony tv has a vga and a hdmi input. I need to run about 30 ft. I have a dell pc with a dvi output. and a vga output to the moniter. I'm just trying to find the best way to connect the pc to the tv to watch movies & files from the pc. thanks for all the replys guys....
    And which parts of my previous response do you find confusing?

Dual posting causes much confusion to us.
    Quote Quote