VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello, sorry if this is very newbie, but couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I'm thinking of using an LCD monitor with a DVI-D input as a "TV" screen. In other words I was wondering if it is possible to hook up a DVD player with digital output directly to a monitor (as LCD monitors are much cheaper than LCD tv's). I've seen HDMI to DVI cables, could I use one of those?

I know that you can use a vga box, but that gives bad results quality-wise.

thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 123soleil
    Hello, sorry if this is very newbie, but couldn't find an answer anywhere.

I'm thinking of using an LCD monitor with a DVI-D input as a "TV" screen. In other words I was wondering if it is possible to hook up a DVD player with digital output directly to a monitor (as LCD monitors are much cheaper than LCD tv's). I've seen HDMI to DVI cables, could I use one of those?

I know that you can use a vga box, but that gives bad results quality-wise.

thanks!
    No. You need a LCD TV to do all that (composite, S-Video, analog component, HDMI, in). Look for one with VGA (or DVI-D) in as well that specifically supports connection to a computer at VESA resolutions. HDMI may or may not be accessable. Do your homework before buying or your only computer option may be YPbPr.

A monitor with DVI-D only is for connection to a computer graphics card.
    Quote Quote  
  3. thanks for the answer.
    there is no way to convert a digital signal (hdmi or whatever) to a digital signal (dvi-d)??? I find that hard to believe (even though I'm not suprised that the industry would rather have you buy an expensive lcd tv + an lcd monitor)

aren't there any dvd players with dvi connectors?

(sorry to insist, but i just find it so hard to believe, digital signals should be the easiest to convert)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by 123soleil
    thanks for the answer.
    there is no way to convert a digital signal (hdmi or whatever) to a digital signal (dvi-d)??? I find that hard to believe (even though I'm not suprised that the industry would rather have you buy an expensive lcd tv + an lcd monitor)

aren't there any dvd players with dvi connectors?

(sorry to insist, but i just find it so hard to believe, digital signals should be the easiest to convert)
    If you can find a computer monitor that supports 1080i or 480i interlace scan input and/or display let me know.

1280x720p/59.94 or 1280x720p/29.97 or 720x480p/59.94 or 720x480p/29.97 or 720x576p/50 or 720x576p/25 are all outside VESA specs but you may find these resolutions supported in the individual monitor spec sheets (assuming DVI-I or DVI-D computer graphics card source) but don't assume they are formatted to HDMI out.

It isn't only about pin compatibility, these things need respond to both computer and HDTV control protocols.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VESA
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_crystal_display_television
    Call the monitor manufacturer and report back. I'm just saying never assume anything.

Most manufacturers of sending devices will decline support for computer monitors and point you to YPbPr or HDMI displays.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    my older viewsonic vx2000 could ... so can several sony pro lcd monitors.....

but the simple solution would be a samsung 244T LCD , which is dual function , true 1920 x 1200 resolution , supports 1080i , 1080p , and 720p as well as 480p/i as well as PC in (15 Pin D-Sub, DVI-D, S-Video, CVSB, and Component)) -> about a $1000
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BJ_M
    my older viewsonic vx2000 could ... so can several sony pro lcd monitors.....

but the simple solution would be a samsung 244T LCD , which is dual function , true 1920 x 1200 resolution , supports 1080i , 1080p , and 720p as well as 480p/i as well as PC in (15 Pin D-Sub, DVI-D, S-Video, CVSB, and Component)) -> about a $1000
    Well those are both computer monitors with other features.

DVD players, HD cable boxes and camcorders output these common TV resolutions over analog component or DVI/HDMI.

720x480i/29.97, 720x576i/25 (interlace SD)
    720x480p/58.94, 720x576p/50 (progressive SD)

1280x720p/59.94, 1280x720p/50 (progressive HDTV)
    1920x1080i/29.97, 1920x1080i/25 (interlace HDTV)

1920x1080p/23.976 (TV does the frame repeat)
    1920x1080p/59.94 (HD DVD player does the frame repeat)
    1920x1080p@48,50,100 (HD DVD player does the frame repeat)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The ViewSonic VX2000 is a native 1600x1200p resolution 600:1 contrast display that accepts

VGA up to 1600x1200
    DVI-D up to 1600x1200

and "Displays HDTV 1280x720p format with advanced scaling options"
    Does that mean it will accept 1280x720p/58.94 directly and scale to 1600x1200?
    Or does it mean it needs to be driven by a VESA resolution with scaling done in the display card?

Also, will it accept 720x480p/59.94 or 720x576p/50 and scale to 1600x1200 in the monitor? Or is that a job for the display card?

16:9 should letterbox to that display at 1600x900. Does the monitor itself support 16:9 aspect ratio when driven from 720p/58.94 or 720p/50? Or 480p/58.94 or 576p/50 DVD?

How would it handle a 4:3 DVD flag for 480p/576p?

How would it behave with a direct 480i/29.97 or 576i/25 or 1080i/29.97 input. Would it deinterlace and scale to 1600x1200?

These are all issues normally handled by the computer display card or the input processor on a HDTV.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it does not de-interlace (that im aware of) , but scales everything to 1600x1200 directly .... it was a great monitor when i first got it , but that was a few years ago .... i used it also with a component to HD15 adaptor ... it does sometimes have a problem locking to some signals ... and by todays standards, the refresh is a bit slow ..

the sony pro lcd monitors are NOT computer monitors btw, they are display monitors what could be used for PC , though not intended for it ..

the samsung i suggested (or its smaller versions) , do exactly what the first poster required ....
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    My point is all these TV signals need processing and that is normally done by the display card before feeding to the computer monitor or is done in the front end processing of a HDTV.

It has to happen in one or the other.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It would be possible to build say an upscaling DVD player that is designed to work with a computer monitor. In that case the DVD player would be doing all the deinterlacing and scaling but outputting in normal VESA resolutions with letterbox and pillarbox et. al. preprocessed.

But upscaling DVD players only output 480i/480p 576i/576p 720p or 1080i

Computer monitors are fairly dumb. They only know their own native resolution or how to convert VESA resolutions and frame rates to their own native resolution.

A smart computer monitor might understand 480p, 576p or 720p at 50/59.94 and deal with aspect ratio flags + scale to native resolution but I'm not convinced they are that smart.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i connect a bluray machine and alcorn HD player up directly to them , sometimes a HDCAM (through sdi to component) , when i need extra hd monitors (among many other playback devices and monitors and projectors)..

my point is that some monitors do and can scale (most do not to be sure) , the "dual" capability monitors are a good all around solution ....
    Quote Quote