VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi
    I have purchased some video clips from the net that have downloaded and play themselves on Windows Media Player.
    I want to copy them to DVD, but they are license protected, when you go to the Media Library it shows the location as 'http://......." instead of the usual 'C:\Documents....'.
    Where are they actually stored on the HDD and is there any way to copy them ???
    Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Thanks for the link, i guess that will probably work, trouble is i still cannot find the files on my HDD, i have tried using the search function in Windows to pull up all WMV files, which it does apart from these ones. But they are there somewhere as they appear in the Windows Media Player Library, how can i find them ??
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    It sounds like you purchased streaming videos and not downloaded videos. To confirm this disconnect the computer from the network and attempt to play the video. When video doesn't play or says file can not be found you will have your answer.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi

Yes i have tried disconnecting from the net, they still play.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Have you tried File -> Properties from Windows Media Player?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi

Yes when i do that it just gives the location as

http://(filename)
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the link Baldrick provided WON'T work, at least not in terms of actually getting the software. You'll have to find FairUse4WM by other means (hint: P2P would be a good place to look).
    Quote Quote  
  8. Note that the file may not have a WMV extention. ASF is also likely. But WMP will accept any extension -- it will figure out the file WMV or ASF.

Oh, and when you did the search for WMV files, did you enable searching for Hidden Files and Foders and in System Folders?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    jman98, on that page, the last link to Doom9 will give you some other information that may help.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks redwudz. I missed that Doom9 link. I did however find the software through another method.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Apparently, a new tool called Fairuse4WM strips the WMDRM with a high degree of success. Don't know where you can get it though.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/25/fairuse4wm-strips-windows-media-drm/
    http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/7875.cfm
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Its probably being stored in a hidden temporary folder. Do as jagabo said and set view to show hidden and system folders. (Open any folder - hit Tools/Folder Option/View and enable show hidden files and folders.) Now it will probably show up in a search.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well, I found what you are looking for. Before I continue, I feel it legally necessary to add a disclaimer. Digital media license files are only for the use of the person who purchased the media and any other use of such licenses, including but not limited to commercial uses, is an infringement of US and UK copyright statutes. The violation of these statutes can result in incarceration in a penal institution for up to ten (10) years. Ok. Now that that's out of the way, here is the location of the license files. First you need to make sure you are able to see hidden files and I'm not going to go into that here. The files are located in C:\Program Data\Microsoft\Windows\DRM . If you are using a drive letter other than C for your root directory, then use that letter instead of C: . You will find several files there. Some have the extention .key, .bak, .bin, .bla, .hds and possibly others. What all these files are I haven't a clue, I assume the DRM licensing uses multiple files, but then I could be mistaken. I just don't know. All I do know is this is where the licensing files for DRM are stored. Also, this is the location in Windows Vista. Don't know about any other operating systems. Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    carloak, thanks for the information, but this is a two year old thread. Please do not dig up old topics to post in.

Moderator redwudz
    Quote Quote  
  15. But he supplied the answer to an unanswered question. Seems perfectly reasonable to me. Even if the OP is no longer interested the answer may help someone else. Aren't you always telling people to search before asking questions?
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i agree, he supplied the answer, NOT a ' I want to know' post
    Quote Quote