VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. FairUse4WM is a GUI version of drmdbg that supports individualization version .3930 and some WM11 versions.

Basic requirements
    1. Only works on individualized DRM file
    2. Requires WM10 or WM11. Won't work on WM9.

The program's functioning can be verified with "Demo" DRM files from ezdrm.com, as well as those from other Microsoft Solution partners.

This program is ONLY designed and intended to enable fair-use rights to PURCHASED media.
    - While I haven't been able to support license expiration/rental detection, please don't use this to abuse rental license
    - This code does NOT allow import of KID/SID pairs to preclude its use for piracy

Note that some WM installations will have multiple ECC key-pairs, so you will likely have to "Extract Keys" using multiple licensed files. If you find a file that doesn't convert, try extracting keys wth it. Once your whole set of keys is extracted, you will no longer need to run WM per file.

Finally, I'd like to thank the people who helped me test this program. Thanks for the suggestions, and yes, even the problems. With your help, I hope I am able to release a stable tool for Wm conversion.

----

I'll still need some work to find stable mirrors.
    This link is a 7-day link,
    https://uploads.sgul.ac.uk/uploads/5...FairUse4WM.zip

----

http://rapidshare.de/files/29940879/FairUse4WM.zip.html

----

Thanks to: mayang, viodentia and all other who made it possible.

Original Source: http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=114916
    Quote Quote  
  2. For more information about the subject, go to:

---> http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=89243

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Yes, they've patched some DRM fix things very quickly...

---> http://www.engadget.com/2006/08/28/microsoft-already-on-their-way-to-patching-fairuse4wm/

PS: once DRM cracked, other people will can crack it again. It just matter having adequate machine and necessary skills. LOL. Keep going nice, guys !!

All the community must to test and report bugs. This help a lot to correct any Micro$oft patching and restrictive crap and their similar ones.

Thanks for helping.

devil (johner)
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    If you have to question why media downloads are so expensive you need only look at this thread and the Application it discusses. The consumer is the one who pays for these people who want to abuse the licensing agreements.
    Quote Quote  
  5. And 'round & 'round she goes
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    This won't interest everybody. (Such as me.)
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    funny though...I rarely bought any music online...now that I can use this tool to move it whereever I like I have bought a fair bit....funny how that works right?
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...just like iTunes and JHymn. Bought quite a few albums from iTunes while JHymn worked. Never since it stopped... How does that fit into your picture, ROF?

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    The picture is a violation of the licensing agreement.

It should be said that I do not necessarily agree with the licensing agreement but nontheless it is a violation. In my personal opinion, if you bought the media you should be able to convert it or move it to whatever device you want so long as you maintain the music or other media and do not share it with others and thus harm the profit of both the media company and the artist. The sad fact is alot of folks out there do not use these products for those purposes. That is why media downloads are priced the way they are. Everyone pays the price for piracy, the corporation, the artist, the consumer, and the economy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    or - Everyone pays the price for DRM - the corporation, the artist, the consumer, and the economy. (As the volume would be higher without DRM - at least mine - and I'm obviously not alone)

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    and piracy would also be higher because without DRM in the digitally connected world their is no safeguard against it. Everyone loses.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I think the sales would increase if the sold music wasn't DRM ridden (judging by my own (and ron spencers) behaviour). You think it'd decrease (judging by what?).

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Judging by the amount of accounts at the original napster Vs. the current. Actually those figures would both support your view and mine. It supports yours because the new napster has far less than what the original had and that can partially be blamed on DRM but centers on cost. It could also be said the original napster thrived because of piracy. Both are valid points of view in my opinion.

.99 or more for a single digital track is too expensive even though this is what I pay. Universal I believe has the best model coming out later this year where they will offer music for free as downloads(probably DRMed and most likely FM Radio quality). In my opinion that is perfect. You give the consumer what they want by charging them nothing for it and yet you garner cash by using an ad supported site(limewire anyone?) and still protect the artist and the corporation by adding DRM to the tracks.

A wise person once said DRM protections last about 1/100th as long as took to develop the DRM. This program and others like it are evidence of that. As I said, I don't necessary agree with the licensing agreement because you should be able to listen to your music or watch your videos on any device anywhere you want. DRM prevents this, but it also prevents piracy.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Like I said :

Originally Posted by somebodeez
    And 'round & 'round she goes
    But it's not really an issue for me either.
    I don't purchase DRM'd music (or movies either).
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Like I said :

And 'round & 'round she goes
    But it's not really an issue for me either.
    I don't purchase DRM'd music (or movies either).
    You never bought a DVD? Last time I check most if not all have some form of Digital Rights Management.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, regarding Napster, I'd say the discrepancy between "before" and "after" is very much due to the fact that originaly Napster was a lone star - the place to get music on line. - At the time of its reincarnation (just sharing the name with its precursor) there's a milky way + the sun to compete with.
    Unfortunately, it seems Universal will only cater for US customers

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by ROF

You never bought a DVD? Last time I check most if not all have some form of Digital Rights Management.
    DVDs have copy protection but it is my understanding that DRM is different.

The DVDs that I have purchased are not limited to playing only on my PC, are backupable (is that a real word? ) and I am able to encode to other formats for and at my convenience, viewings never expire or require a subscription or internet connection.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    But if Universal is successful in this venture I dare say others will follow suit. To me the internet should be a big wide open television or radio broadcaster. You pay your price to access the channels, you should not have to pay for every single item(channel) you want to see and hear.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The DVDs that I have purchased <snip> are backupable (is that a real word? ) and I am able to encode to other formats for and at my convenience, viewings never expire or require a subscription or internet connection.
    Not without removing the copy protection/DRM first. Same thing as for iTunes downloads et al.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  20. Digital Rights Management (generally abbreviated to DRM) is any of several technologies used by publishers to control access to digital data (such as software, music, movies) and hardware, handling usage restrictions associated with a specific instance of a digital work. The term is often confused with copy protection and technical protection measures (TPM). These two terms refer to technologies that control or restrict the use and access of digital media content on electronic devices with such technologies installed, acting as components of a DRM design.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Rights_Management

But at any rate, regardless of what you want to call it, if I cannot do the things I have listed in my previous post, it's worthless to me.
    Therefore, none on my $ gets spent on it and so like I said, it's not an issue for me.

Carry on
    Quote Quote  
  21. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

DVDs have copy protection but it is my understanding that DRM is different.

The DVDs that I have purchased are not limited to playing only on my PC, are backupable (is that a real word? ) and I am able to encode to other formats for and at my convenience, viewings never expire or require a subscription or internet connection.
    They are only backupable(if it's not a word it should be) when you remove the DRM which prevents you from doing so. Some discs do not have DRM but just looking at the packaging does not tell you this and most do. I dare say if you have been a member of this site for any length of time you have probably encountered another Digital Rights Management form called Macrovision. I do not like Macrovision, not because of what it does, but because of the way it does it.
    Quote Quote  
  22. I repeat -

Digital Rights Management (generally abbreviated to DRM) is any of several technologies used by publishers to control access to digital data (such as software, music, movies) and hardware, handling usage restrictions associated with a specific instance of a digital work. The term is often confused with copy protection and technical protection measures (TPM). These two terms refer to technologies that control or restrict the use and access of digital media content on electronic devices with such technologies installed, acting as components of a DRM design.

But no matter - it's not an issue for me because I do not buy into it.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I repeat -

Digital Rights Management (generally abbreviated to DRM) is any of several technologies used by publishers to control access to digital data (such as software, music, movies) and hardware, handling usage restrictions associated with a specific instance of a digital work. The term is often confused with copy protection and technical protection measures (TPM). These two terms refer to technologies that control or restrict the use and access of digital media content on electronic devices with such technologies installed, acting as components of a DRM design.

But no matter - it's not an issue for me because I do not buy into it.
    So you do not own DVDs? DVDs contain Digital Right Management software that works in conjunction with copy protection or technical protection measures built into your hardware to enforce usage restrictions. Do you own any DVR? They have Digital Rights Management built into their hardware which works with copy protection and technical protection measures built into the broadcast signal of certain works.

If you own any of these or others you have bought into it.
    Quote Quote  
  24. No, I do not own a DVR. (unless you want to consider my PC because I cap with that.)
    No, I do not own a stand alone DVD burner.
    No, I have not purchased WM w/DRM. (which is why I keep trying to tell you that this is not an issue for me but for some reason, you insist on trying to make it into one)
    No, I do not have an IPod.
    No, I do not have anything HD.

Yes, the DVDs that I own do have copy protection on them.
    DRM, as you should know goes much further than the copy protection that are on the DVDs that I have purchased.

Am I restricted to playing my DVDs only on my PC? No.
    Do my DVDs have limited viewing times ? No.
    Do my DVDs only give me 24 hours after purchase to watch them? No.
    Is an internet connection required to obtain a license to watch them? No.

And that is the difference, plain and simple.
    Quote Quote  
  25. DRM is not about stopping piracy.

It's about making content disappear every few years so that they can sell it to you all over again.

It's about getting rid of "collections" and getting everybody on "subscriptions".

The current so-called "purchase" or "subscribe" models of selling music online are really just two different versions of the subscription model. When you "purchase" a DRMed track, you are buying something that will die with your harddrive. If you don't strip the DRM off of it, you will eventually lose it forever.

That's by design.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by spiritraveller
    DRM is not about stopping piracy.

It's about making content disappear every few years so that they can sell it to you all over again.
    Interesting. Some of my DVDs which contain Digital Rights Management have been playable for nearly a decade. I dare say they will still be playing a decade from now, but finding a player a decade from now may require me to visit garage sales. DRM is not going to disappear. Unfortunately due to programs like this the restrictions of DRM are only going to increase. It's a shame too. There was a time when people didn't openly steal from others and when they did they were dealt with instead of restricting the entire soceity.
    Quote Quote