VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    We have made it easier to report Private Messages. Click on the "Report this PM" and the PM will be reported to admins and moderators.

Please report SPAM immediatly!

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It says "CRAP" ..... hahahahahahaha .... nice.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Nice amendment - a good idea. I'm with lordsmurf - "It says 'Crap'" made me smile too...

Wouldn't this be good as a sticky or referenced in the AUP? (If it's not already...)
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Great Job as always...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    It says "CRAP" ..... hahahahahahaha .... nice.
    This is bad. It could apply to every PM i've ever sent.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Here is something you never learned in English class.
    Where the word 'crap' came from, and how it was connected with plumbing pioneer Thomas Crapper (according to http://www.toiletology.com/crapper.shtml ):

'Crap’ was an ancient word for rubbish or chaff which had fallen out of use in Britain by the end of the 16th century, therefore in Victorian times there was nothing amusing about the surname ‘Crapper’. However early English settlers to America took the word with them and so in the U.S.A. it has been used continuously.

In 1917, American servicemen stationed in London were hugely amused to see the name emblazoned on cisterns and W.C. bowls (although their English friends could not see the joke) and so began to call the whole W.C. apparatus “the Crapper”. This phrase caught on in America on their return, presumably because it made sense to those who were aware of the vulgarism ‘crap’.

Due to American cultural influences upon Great Britain and Europe the word ‘crap’ is now widely used and the humour in the surname is universally appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by piano632
    Maybe not in the US, but I remember having the essence of the story shared with the class by a less than conformist English teacher. Her secondary subject was History.

But funny, and interesting, nonetheless.

P.S. A "POM" is Aussie for an English person. Do you know where that comes from?
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by daamon
    Originally Posted by piano632
    Maybe not in the US, but I remember having the essence of the story shared with the class by a less than conformist English teacher. Her secondary subject was History.

But funny, and interesting, nonetheless.

P.S. A "POM" is Aussie for an English person. Do you know where that comes from?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Pommy

One theory is that, as the majority of early immigrants to Australia were British, it is rhyming slang for "immigrant" from a contraction of the word "pomegranate", or possibly more directly related to the appearance of the fruit, as it bears a more than passing resemblance to the typical pale complexioned Briton's skin after his or her first few days living under the hot Australian sun.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by nwo
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alternative_words_for_British#Pommy

One theory is that, as the majority of early immigrants to Australia were British, it is rhyming slang for "immigrant" from a contraction of the word "pomegranate", or possibly more directly related to the appearance of the fruit, as it bears a more than passing resemblance to the typical pale complexioned Briton's skin after his or her first few days living under the hot Australian sun.
    I've never heard that one!!! But it certainly makes sense...

Carpe diem.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An alternate but ultimately supporting view

http://www.worldwidewords.org/qa/qa-pom1.htm
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote