VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    This is getting me nuts... it is the second time happening to me. Lat time I had to reinstall WinXP. I really don't want do it again. Here are details:

- no system sounds (yes, I have a Windows sound scheme selected)
    - when a sound is selected from my sound scheme, the little PLAY icon is grayed
    - no volume icon in taskbar (yes, I checked-rechecked "Place volume icon in taskbar" and yes, sndvol32.exe is in system32 folder and yes, can run it from Accesories/Entertainment/Volume Control)
    - I have sound when I play movies
    - I have sound with Winamp
    - there are NO hardware conflicts in Device Manager

If someone can help, i'll be in the bathroom cutting my veins slowly
    Quote Quote  
  2. I would:

(a) uninstall the soundcard from device manager and resart, paying attention to where it gets the driver from under the "Found New Hardware" Wizard. A driver update from the manufacturer may be the answer if XP is using its own driver by default.

(b) If it's a PCI sound card, make sure the on-board sound is disabled in bios

Good luck
    Quote Quote  
  3. What does your system show in the control panel? Any ! for the sound card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    greengate69
    - Uninstalled, reboot, XP found Creative Live! drivers, NO system sounds
    - Installed latest original Creative drivers, reboot, NO system sounds

Barnabas
    See my original post: "there are NO hardware conflicts in Device Manager"

Going back sharpen my knife... I'm doomed...
    Quote Quote  
  5. But are there any exclamation points showing for your sound card?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    there are NO hardware conflicts in Device Manager = NO, there is NO exclamation mark near anything in Device manager.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Dumb question(s): Does your device appear in the device manager? Do you have your cables hooked up correctly and does your speaker system work?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Dumb question(s): Does your device appear in the device manager? Do you have your cables hooked up correctly and does your speaker system work?
    In my original post, I quote:

- I have sound when I play movies
    - I have sound with Winamp

End quote.

Now... I guess this answers to your (dumb, you said ) questions and I add: YES, my sound card IS in Device Manager alive and well.

In fact, problem is this: WHAT part of Windows system plays WAV files?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are the .wav files still installed and not corrupt for your sound scheme?

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Select S from the link and scroll down to Sound.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Are the .wav files still installed and not corrupt for your sound scheme?

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_abc.htm

Select S from the link and scroll down to Sound.
    I have all WAVs ok. I know kelly's corner long time. I went there before posting. Still no luck.

BUT looking for some advice on Google, I found the culprit might be ADPCM codec which is NO more registered for working with WAV files by default. Although I have MSADP32.ACM in \SYSTEM32 folder, looks it is no more registered.

In fact, have a look at attached photo. I'm sure there are missing some very important Microsoft audio codecs. Audio codecs that I have are installed by K-Lite Codec pack. Please compare with your PC.

HOW can I restore them?

Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You installed a codec pack? nuff said. Those screw up more than they ever fix.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    so... beside contemplating your reply... any solution?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Do you have a default audio device selected?

After the first failure, did you install the codec pack a second time, right before the second failure? If not, what actions were taken previous to BOTH failures?

Also suggest uninstall and physically remove card, reboot, shutdown, re-insert card, re-install.

A re-install of windows without formatting should retain all settings and software, fix the problem, and not take too long, with little danger of seriously screwing anything up.

Codec packs are BAD MOJO.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Do you have a default audio device selected?

After the first failure, did you install the codec pack a second time, right before the second failure? If not, what actions were taken previous to BOTH failures?

Also suggest uninstall and physically remove card, reboot, shutdown, re-insert card, re-install.

A re-install of windows without formatting should retain all settings and software, fix the problem, and not take too long, with little danger of seriously screwing anything up.

Codec packs are BAD MOJO.
    yes, I have a default audio device selected. Otherwise, how could I play WELL any movie or mp3???

After first failure, i tried a Windows Repair Install (keep software settings) but for whatever reason couldn't get over installing devices... it stayed and stayed... I let it 30 min without luck (it was not frozen) so I went for Windows FULL reinstall (damn).

Now I have second failure, all I did is written in this topic.

Probably common problem was codec packs. Bad or not bad mojo, after uninstalling them, I was left without Windows MS original codecs (or DirectShow filters) like attached above photo shows.

So, I ask again: HOW can I RESTORE them?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Some software can play sounds with its own selection of hardware and does not require a default device to be selected.

Need precise and correct information on this point - What actions were taken before the first failure, that were ALSO taken AFTER the repair AND BEFORE the second failure?

The failure to install hardware devices on the Windows re-install definitely points to a problem. Quite possible the on-board audio is conflicting in some way due to defective hardware. This can happen totally independent of BIOS settings. That is why the question above is so important. If you fixed it, did NO codec installs or anything else, and it then failed again, this would point to the mobo hardware.

If you installed the codec pack, whacked the sound, re-installed Windows and fixed it, then installed the codec pack a second time, this would point to another kind of issue.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    A repair install will fix this. Since you can not seem to do this there is no simple way of putting them back. If you can't perform a simple repair with your Operating System I would definitely call either your system provider or Microsoft in order to make it so you can do this vital task.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Need precise and correct information on this point - What actions were taken before the first failure, that were ALSO taken AFTER the repair AND BEFORE the second failure?
    Each time BEFORE having problem I installed/uninstalled some codec packs. Apparently, when uninstalling (and I have to repeat it for the 3rd time) some of the MS codec files were unregistered or so (my guess).

I have no reason to suspect ANY hardware issue, since my sound card performed very well for its purpose TILL the codecs part. And even now I can play ANY sound (including WAVs) using software players (as BSPlayer, Media Player or Winamp), but NO WAVs using INTERNAL Windows way of playing sounds. Same thing for web pages having sound, can't hear any sound.

So, do you know what part of Windows is responsible for playing SYSTEM sounds? To be able to locate and pinpoint easier the faulty file (or registry issue).
    Quote Quote  
  18. At no time did you state, clearly or otherwise, that you had installed and removed the codec pack after the Windows repair.

You have established that installing and removing the Codec pack causes this problem, assuming you have not left out some other significant action. Do not do that again.

That the re-install hangs on installing hardware certainly points to a driver or hardware issue. That quite simply should not happen. Quite possible the codec pack activity is triggering the problem to activate, but not causing it per se.

If you go into control panel, Sounds and Devices, choose a sound can you play it there?
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Could a virus be involved?
    how about missing/corrupt registry entries? Missing/corrupt files?
    Codec Packs equal bad things.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you go into control panel, Sounds and Devices, choose a sound can you play it there?
    Nelson37, I will not go for a semantics debate.
    If only my INITIAL post would be read ENTIRELLY...
    Quote:
    - when a sound is selected from my sound scheme, the little PLAY icon is grayed
    End Quote

Anyway... I was sick and tired of that shitty Windows issue. I REINSTALLED Windows XP Pro And it is for the last time.. any more issue with Micro$oft... bye-bye Windows... hello Linux.

So... another NOT solved Windows unable-to-recover-with-system-restore-active bug.
    System File Checker failed also miserably... what a f...ed-up OS...

Thank you all for support. Hopefully better luck next time. Ta-ta.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by masster
    So... another NOT solved Windows unable-to-recover-with-system-restore-active bug.
    System File Checker failed also miserably... what a f...ed-up OS...
    I'd call it another system f...ed up by a codec pack. Don't blame the OS for not being able to fix your "poor" decision to install a codec pack.

Codec packs are bad ... mmmmkay
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    I'd call it another system f...ed up by a codec pack. Don't blame the OS for not being able to fix your "poor" decision to install a codec pack.
    You missed the whole phrase.
    I emphasised 2 things:

1) Windows System Restore is absent and useless when system files are bad, corrupted, deleted, unregistered etc. I guess we agree that MS sudio codecs/drivers are system files.
    2) Trying to recover using System File Checker failed miserably too.

So, that's it. Topic closed. I'm outta here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    One last minute info.
    After reinstalling Windows XP Pro, I looked for registry keys responsible of Audio Codecs and drivers. And I exported 3 .reg files which I attach in here as a ZIP archive.

Just run them, then go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and uncheck/Apply/check/Apply "Place Volume incon in taskbar". You have sound now.
    Cheers.

pack.zip
    Quote Quote  
  24. Do you have any idea how many programs have a "sound scheme" with a "little play icon"? The quote you referenced does not answer the question I asked as you apparently indicated. Note I specified Control Panel and the specific application. You could have been talking about your Jukebox player or several dozen different programs, the importance being whether they were built-in to the OS. Similar as with the playing of sounds, this does not mean there is a default sound device.

I read your initial post carefully, there is far less information in it than you seem to think. Complete and correct descriptions of problems are necessary in order to arrive at a solution.

Next time, try to be more descriptive and remember that we do not know what you have done or how you got there.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    People come here for help ... so dont bug them ...

----------------

I suspect your sound hardware is not functioning ... it is indeed possible that the hardware can be installed , and show no problem's ... and yet , not function .. or even only partially function ... esspecially in the case where that button is greyed out sound's just like this problem ... I have seen it before .

You mentioned a complete system reinstall ... then I'd be bang on the money as to the problem .

I would purchase a cheap pci unit ... any generic sound card ... just make sure it has driver's included for the current os it will be installed under ... we have several yamaha card's here for these test's ... but in your case ... from ebay may be easier .

Also be aware how those slot's on the motherboard are designed .

Onboard agp / apg slot / pci1 = share resource's ... use only 1
    Pci2 / pci3 = share resource's ... use only 1
    Pci4 / pci5 = share resource's ... use only 1

Any other way can bring system into conflict with addon hardware .

I have seen pc's where all the slot's have been used ... and they wonder why thing's are not working ... even caught gateway once before ... installed capture card when no actual slot's were available ... conflict with sound device created .

---------------

Also check with the manufacturer of the motherboard ... I did see one mb , mentioned the onboard should not be disabled if addon installed ... think it was either msi / gigabyte / intel ... just dont recall the model I had to lookup a couple of week's ago ... but I would check for any forum's , linked at those site's and see if it has been mentioned ... look for any mention of "audio" or "your mother board model" .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ Nelson37 and Bjs

So SUE me. Or kill me. Whichever makes your ego happy.

Read above solution. It is all about registry. NO hardware problem. My soundcard plays OK. After all... I mentioned over and over that movies and mp3 play well.

Enough said. I'm outta here talk to my lawyers and buy a new gun
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Masster!
    You were my salvation.
    I had the very same problem as you, after a codec clean-up.
    So I just added the .reg files to my registry and "voilá", I have windows sounds again.

Thank you so much, indeed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jrui
    Masster!
    You were my salvation.
    I had the very same problem as you, after a codec clean-up.
    So I just added the .reg files to my registry and "voilá", I have windows sounds again.

Thank you so much, indeed.
    Glad to help. Spread the news with or without credit. I bet other people have same issue judging by the forums I searched on, and all ending in UNsolving it.
    And here is all audio codecs that Windows XP installs by default and you should always have in order to play system sounds and stuff.
    Cheers

Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Greetings.
    EXCELLENT job, masster! The same problem was with my system. I perfectly well knew the reason, but had no idea what to do except reinstall. System sounds disappeared (including flash or some kind of videos in the web browser) after installing some sort of xvid codec. Adding the files to registry helped immediately.
    Thanks!

Originally Posted by masster
    One last minute info.
    After reinstalling Windows XP Pro, I looked for registry keys responsible of Audio Codecs and drivers. And I exported 3 .reg files which I attach in here as a ZIP archive.

Just run them, then go to Control Panel/Sounds and Audio Devices and uncheck/Apply/check/Apply "Place Volume incon in taskbar". You have sound now.
    Cheers.

pack.zip
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you're welcome. spread the news plz. other ppl need sound too
    Quote Quote