VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello everyone.
    I have a movie with idx/sub files subtitles, I want to know if there is a way to change the position of the subtitles in the idx file.

I know it can be done by changing to srt or ssa formats, but I want to know if there is something that can be modified or added to the idx file to change the subtitles position.

Thanks in advance for your help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Hi-

As I found out in a similar discussion yesterday, changing the position in the IDX isn't recognized when playing back in a standalone. However, it does work for computer playback, or for encoding the subs into the video.

Open the IDX in VobSub Configure. It comes with the VobSub package. To raise them, adjust the Y-Axis in a negative direction. Another way is to open the IDX in Notepad and find this line:
    # Origin, relative to the upper-left corner, can be overloaded by aligment
    org: 0, 0
    To raise them on the screen, do this (as an example):
    # Origin, relative to the upper-left corner, can be overloaded by aligment
    org: 0, -75
    I hope that's what you meant by "position". If not, please explain further.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, that's what I meant.

Question: by "Computer playback" you mean playing it on BSPlayer, WMP, VLC, etc? I tried modifying those coordinates but it didn't work.

I think by standalone you mean a consumer dvd player, right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi-

Question: by "Computer playback" you mean playing it on BSPlayer, WMP, VLC, etc?

Yes.

I think by standalone you mean a consumer dvd player, right?

Yes.

It works for me. I was just testing using Media Player Classic and Windows Media Player. I changed the number to different figures, and the subs played at different heights on the screen. Are you using DirectVobSub to play the subs? That is, does the green arrow appear in the Sys Tray when you start the AVI? It could be, although I don't know for sure, that you may be playing subs through the players' own subtitle engines or something else (ffdshow?), rather than through DirectVobSub, and they aren't using the IDX parameters.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, it worked in Windows Media Player.

Last question: is it possible to make the same work on BSPlayer? I looked around, the only option referring to VobSub I found is this. And this on filter management.

When playing the avi on BSPlayer, the DivX settings mannager appears on the System Tray. The idx/sub subtitles display well, but modifying the coordinates on the idx file doesn't work in BSPlayer.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I'm sorry but I may not be able to help with that one. Although BSPlayer is a very good player, it's been a while since I used it, and I'm a little foggy on the details. I do remember that it can play subs on its own. It has it's own subtitle engine. Whenever I played subs with it, I got double subs, one being played by BSPlayer and the other by DirectVobSub. I right-clicked the video and turned off one of them. But I forget which subs then played. I'm pretty sure it was the DirectVobSub ones. Since I don't plan on reinstalling it to diagnose your problem, may I suggest that you try Media Player Classic which reads the info in the IDX correctly. It's a very good player, and will play everything correctly without any tweaking.

That pic you provided shows you do have DirectVobSub installed (and registered, I presume), so you should be able to get it to work using BSPlayer.

This is more up celtic_druid's alley than mine.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Media Player Classic works great. I'll go with that.

Thanks for your help.
    Quote Quote