VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I bought an S video cable to connect to my TV and just assumed movies on my computer would play (formats like divx and xvid etc). I looked around the forums for a while and couldnt find any topics about it. Can someone just clearly explain what exactly I need for a movie to play on my TV? I am using an ATI x300 gfx card on my laptop. Thanks.

-Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    the tv is just another display device. all you have to do is connect your laptop to your tv via s-video. You may have to go into the display properties and designate the secondary display device as a tv. I would also put the resolution at the lowest presuming you are using an sdtv.

You will still need something for audio. the best option would be if you have an optical out and a receiver with optical in. Otherwise you'll have to use a mini to dual rca adapter.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, go into display properties/settings. once second display is plugged in you should be able to tick box "extend windows desktop onto this monitor". also, often times everything will show on second monitor EXCEPT video. if so, click advanced/overlay and look for 'theater mode' and enable it.
    I am just a worthless liar,
    I am just an imbecil
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You might want audio with that ???

Part's list :

1x "stereo head phone to duel rca output cable"
    1x "doule ended stereo head phone cable"
    1x "duel ended rca joiner"
    1x "svideo to rca cable"
    1x " double ended rca cable , long enough to go between pc and tv"
    1x " stereo head phone jack doubler adapter"

All up , about $50.00 au buck's for quality .

-------------

1: Connect double ended stereo head phone cable to pc speaker out on sound card or chip .
    2: Connect this cable to the stereo head phone doubler adapter .

3: Connect pc speaker plug into one of the output's on this adapter .

4: Connect the headphone / duel rca cable to the other output on the stereo head phone adapter .

5: Connect the white rca on this cable to the rca joiner .
    6: Connect extension lead , white rca to the other side of the rca joiner (white to white)
    7: Connect the other white rca from this extension cable to white audio in on vcr or tv .

Audio completed .

1: Connect svideo cable to pc video output .
    2: Connect the rca end of this cable to the remaining rca connection on the rca joiner .
    3: Connect the red rca from the extension cable to the other side of the rca joiner .
    4: Connect the remaining red rca on this extension cable to vcr or tv ... video in .

Completed .

You now have video and audio on BOTH device's .

---------------

You should have the unit , either vcr or tv on , before you start the pc ... it is the safer way .

Note : if unit was not on , in video setting's , you wont see tv option ... geforec fx5200 has "forced option" to use in order to redetect tv if it was not detected before ... ati may have different option .

---------------

Clone mean's on both unit's ... in most case's , if tv is 800x600 , your monitor will also be set to this view .

Extended view across monitor and tv is not very friendly ... I have seen funny thing's happen under this mode .

Under the geforce control ... you can right click any video file and the option "play on my tv" is available ... work's brilliantly ... work on pc while everybody else is watching idiot box .

Of course mine gose to vcr ... for another reason ...
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the replies guys. I might not have explained myself exactly but I think ToolFool nailed it on the head. I have a picture but no actual movies are displaying on the TV. I can see the desktop but no movie playing in VLC media player. Anyways, I'll try that out and let you know if it works. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  6. For an ATI X300 card enable Theater Mode in the advanced graphics setup. Whatever you play in a media player will appear full screen on the TV, even if the media player is playing in a window on the desktop.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You are not getting the overlay to the TV. Get the newest drivers and as stated above, enable Theater Mode. I have the same card as you so know you can get video on it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep that worked. Thanks a lot guys.
    Quote Quote