VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a silly question. I am getting ready to build a media center using Windows MCE and would like to use 2 tv tuners. The motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9, and has it's own video card on the motherboard. The processor means very little because I will probably use a AMD 4.2g dual core, with 1gig of memory. Does any one see any problems. Yes I've looked into the Hauppauge WinTV-PVR500MCE dual tuner, but with the reviews that it got at Newegg, I am very leeary of it. I have settled on 2 Hauppauge WinTV-PVR250MCE's but don't know enough about how to set them up to make me dangerous. In my mind, I know it should work, but I am not to sure how. If not I can go to just one tuner, but what a waste. Thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Officially MS supports 2 SD tuners out of the box. When you install MCE it justs asks you for your cable provider so it knows you're not using an antenna or cable-box and downloads the correct program guide. Really couldn't be simpler, so no worries.

BTW, it is possible to put 3 or more tuners in MCE by tricking it with a registry edit. I found the details at thegreenbutton.com and installed a 3rd tuner. For MCE thegreenbutton is one of your the best sites for getting info.

Just FYI, I ran MCE 2005 on an Athon 2000+, 512MB with 2 tuners for over a year and thought performance was excellent...recently upgraded to Socket A 2700+ when adding a 3rd tuner. Any processor you buy off the shelf today can handle MCE easily I would imagine 'till you start messing with HD. Maybe spend that extra money on an XBox 360 as an extender. I think it plays games too

Have fun, it's not hard to do at all.

Mark
    http://www.TheHTPCRecord.com
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the quick reply Mark, altho I do feel awfully silly after visiting the web site for Microsoft MCE and it also stated that I could put two tuners in the computer. I did not know about the extra tuner and will bookmark it. I will keep you posted as to what I do. Again Thanks.
    Quote Quote