VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,
    I never ripped,
    I am still choosing the dvd writer I will buy.
    About ripping, I see all talikng of lite-on, but it seems that lately lite-on lost gret part of its past quality. So people say...
    Anyway, at the same time that I am figuring out if the drive will write DL and DVD-RAM, I felt the need to be sure that I will be able to rip, to copy a protected movie and burn it.
    What do a drive need to support for this to be possible? What there must be written in the specs? Ho can I be sure that it will allow me ripping, and, if it is possible, how can I figure out its ripping speeds? I repeat, all this, from internet, before buying...
    Thanks
    Sergio
    A newby knows he needs help, and looks for an expert.
    An expert knows he once too was a newby and needed help, so he is patient, offering his help.
    A newby knows that nobody MUST help him, so he is grateful for the help received...
    Quote Quote  
  2. Any drive will rip. The speeds will vary though.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Any drive will rip. The speeds will vary though.
    Ok, thanks, I supposed, but I was not sure, as, for what I had time to see in this site, someone told something about difficulties of some drives in ripping, and so I was convinced that ripping capability was related to a specific recording mode which could be or not be supported by each drive.
    About speeds, is there a way to understand it from the specs of a drive? I have read that speed is related to CSS limitations, and generally drives are locked at 2 or 2.4, apart Lite-on (which, till now, I do not have good infos about). But I ignore how does this date would appear in the specs of a drive, for example, in its web site or manual.
    An expert knows he once too was a newby and needed help, so he is patient, offering his help.
    A newby knows that nobody MUST help him, so he is grateful for the help received...
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Drives can be locked at different speeds for ripping, just depends on the manufacturer. Pioneers seem to be locked slower than most of the others from my experience. Benq and Lite-On haven't been locked at all from my experience. Try a Benq 1650. They're about $35 at places like New Egg.
    -Brett
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smitbret
    Drives can be locked at different speeds for ripping, just depends on the manufacturer. Pioneers seem to be locked slower than most of the others from my experience. Benq and Lite-On haven't been locked at all from my experience. Try a Benq 1650. They're about $35 at places like New Egg.
    -Brett
    Ok, now it is clear enough...
    About BenQ, I will look the site to see if it make a slimline. I need a slimline... Well, it is not a NEED, as I canīt anyway use it as internal, but I would prefer it, as smaller and lighter.
    Thanks for making it clearer!
    Quote Quote