VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 41
Thread
  1. Why are so many people on this forum being banned lately? While searching through posts, I see people that are banned and had an account for several years. Yet their last post doesn't have a banning explanation by the mods. Was it reasonable cause, or do they ban people just for having a different opinion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member pchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Search Comp PM
    I notice that too !

    If I may suggest, let the mod put the errant members in a box for them to cool down. Just like the NHL. The length of stay will depend on how serious is the offense. In some other forum, they call it the jail house !

    Banning members... it's capital panishment... I never support that !
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't see many banned members in my travels nor do I have a problem with it. This site is not called hech54.com so I have no say in the matter....and I know it.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member mats.hogberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Sweden (PAL)
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, we do it regularly just for fun. Just pick someone at random.
    And to fill our ban quota Baldrick sets.
    /Mats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member waheed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Manchester, UK
    Search Comp PM
    has a mod ever been banned just for fun
    Quote Quote  
  6. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Down under
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by waheed
    has a mod ever been banned just for fun
    If I'm not mistaken, at least one of the mods within the last two years has banned themselves accidently. I seem to recall that offline was involved in some way in a banning of some description to do with a mod as well. And wasn't adam or lordsmurf banned just recently ?
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by hech54
    This site is not called hech54.com so I have no say in the matter....and I know it.
    Yes you do. As a long term member in good standing we do take notice of anything you would like to suggest or comment on.

    Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Why are so many people on this forum being banned lately? While searching through posts, I see people that are banned and had an account for several years. Yet their last post doesn't have a banning explanation by the mods. Was it reasonable cause, or do they ban people just for having a different opinion?
    Links? Examples?

    Originally Posted by pchan
    I notice that too !
    Can I ask for links too please?

    Originally Posted by pchan
    If I may suggest, let the mod put the errant members in a box for them to cool down. Just like the NHL. The length of stay will depend on how serious is the offense.
    Members are not warned or banned lightly. Your idea about a "jail house" or "sin bin / time out box" was discussed and Baldrick said no. Note that three people were let back in under special circumstances only last year, some six months after they were banned. Two of those three remain as members today.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    And wasn't adam or lordsmurf banned just recently ?
    If memory serves lordsmurf banned himself several times a few months ago for reasons only someone 3 apples high could explain.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member pchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline

    Originally Posted by pchan
    I notice that too !
    Can I ask for links too please?
    Just notice the "Banned" signs on some of the posts e.g. MackemX.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Adam quit (briefly) and Smurf was De-Modded due to a dispute between the two and inappropriate conduct on Smurf's part.

    I would like to see an explanation on BAN's, not because anyone is obligated to explain this to me but as an illustration of just exactly what the rules are and how they were broken to justify such a severe punishment.

    I only recently read a third-hand explanation of King John's banning and as this did not come from management I am not certain it was accurate.

    I think there should be a "This member has been banned because ... " type of thread, as a "here is an example of conduct that is unacceptable" type of thing. Otherwise, these people just seem to Vanish in Night and Fog. Historical reference intentional.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Adam quit (briefly) and Smurf was De-Modded due to a dispute between the two and inappropriate conduct on Smurf's part.

    I would like to see an explanation on BAN's, not because anyone is obligated to explain this to me but as an illustration of just exactly what the rules are and how they were broken to justify such a severe punishment.

    I only recently read a third-hand explanation of King John's banning and as this did not come from management I am not certain it was accurate.

    I think there should be a "This member has been banned because ... " type of thread, as a "here is an example of conduct that is unacceptable" type of thing. Otherwise, these people just seem to Vanish in Night and Fog. Historical reference intentional.
    If you see that a person is banned just view that person posts by clicking on the persons name. If the thread causing the ban has not been deleted you will usually see in the persons last post why they were banned. Sometimes the thread may be locked but still viewable.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member thecoalman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by offline

    Links? Examples?

    .
    Oh anyone of the recent threads that has arisen from the dead.

    Maybe that's one the places they are seeing them. On a side note it did seem to me I was seeing a lot of banned mebers myself within the last couple of weeks. Full moon maybe?
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    There have been alot of extremely old topics rising from the dead. Some are actually good while some are quite strange to see active again.
    Quote Quote  
  14. I do not check them all, by any means, but the vast majority of banned users that I have looked into, the thread in question is locked or deleted. So I have no idea why they are gone. The obvious spammers and those prone to extreme rudeness, insults or profanity make it easy to guess, but I personally don't care much about those. It is the ones that have had useful and/or informative posts in the past and for whom I have never observed objectionable conduct which make me wonder just what the heck they could have done.

    Combine this with recent incidents of several posts being locked for no discernable reason makes me wonder if bannings are happening in a similar manner.

    IMO, these "virtual executions" should be public and not happen behind closed doors.
    Quote Quote  
  15. @ ROF

    If you feel a thread has been re-activated without good reason please let us know so we can close it. Old threads do not have an expiry date because they can still be useful. However if a member abuses this freedom - we call it "grave digging" - we then take action.

    @ ALL

    While we always try to leave a note as to why a member has been banned, sometimes their posts have to be removed for obvious reasons.

    If anyone wants to know why a certain member was banned, please start a specific thread on that exact member in feedback. Either a Mod or a witness to the incident may fill you in with the details. You are also free to speak out if you feel a ban or a warning was unwarranted (unless it concerns yourself, then we ask that you PM a mod directly.)
    Quote Quote  
  16. There's one guy here that has a "banned" message in his sig. Fools me almost every time. Maybe you're seeing that.


    Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    The obvious spammers and those prone to extreme rudeness, insults or profanity make it easy to guess, but I personally don't care much about those. It is the ones that have had useful and/or informative posts in the past and for whom I have never observed objectionable conduct which make me wonder just what the heck they could have done.
    It is not our fault if you were not online to see why a post was removed or a member was banned. Hang around more often and you might catch a thread, where a warning or a ban is evident, deteriorating live in front of you.

    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Combine this with recent incidents of several posts being locked for no discernable reason makes me wonder if bannings are happening in a similar manner.
    What "recent incidents" - links please?

    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    IMO, these "virtual executions" should be public and not happen behind closed doors.
    There are no "virtual executions" here. We are not secret police who spirit innocent civilians away at night for questioning. All Mod forum actions are conducted in public. True, some posts have to be moved to closed topics, but most are not. No post is ever deleted and some you just have to be quick to read, before they are moved.


    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Adam quit (briefly) and Smurf was De-Modded due to a dispute between the two and inappropriate conduct on Smurf's part.
    Incorrect. Adam and LordSmurf were De-Modded as they could no longer work together after a difference of opinions.


    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I would like to see an explanation on BAN's, not because anyone is obligated to explain this to me but as an illustration of just exactly what the rules are and how they were broken to justify such a severe punishment.
    In most cases the reason is stated - you just need to search for it.

    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I only recently read a third-hand explanation of King John's banning and as this did not come from management I am not certain it was accurate.
    That was a huge incident and I'm suprised you missed it.

    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    I think there should be a "This member has been banned because ... " type of thread, as a "here is an example of conduct that is unacceptable" type of thing. Otherwise, these people just seem to Vanish in Night and Fog. Historical reference intentional.
    If you care to check, we do often state a reason in the warning text itself.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by pchan
    Originally Posted by offline

    Originally Posted by pchan
    I notice that too !
    Can I ask for links too please?
    Just notice the "Banned" signs on some of the posts e.g. MackemX.
    MackemX asked to be banned. Faustus then banned him. At the time MackemX was also upset at getting an informal warning, but most of all he felt burnt out at VH and wanted to leave. Sometimes members ask to be banned. MackemX knows he is welcome back any time he chooses to return - he was never "banned-banned"

    Here is a recent example:
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1520206#1520206
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member pchan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Singapore
    Search Comp PM
    @offline,
    Thanks. I didn't know he ask for it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. The mods have absolutely no obligation to inform users why these actions are being taken. It is your ball game.

    BUT - "Hang around more often and you MIGHT catch it" is not a viable solution, assuming it is your goal to inform the users why someone has been banned. There have been several that I don't notice until long after the fact, the post in question is locked, deleted, or otherwise unviewable. I repeat, this is no-one's "fault" and site administration is under no obligation to inform whatsoever, in any way, shape, or form.

    However, IF the powers that be do in fact wish to make the reason's for a banning public, which I think I have made clear would be a good idea IMO, then (again IMO) this is not currently happening. I check the "report this post" thread regularly, mainly to see just what kinds of conduct are considered unacceptable, both to mods and users. Rarely are there any I disagree with, though a fair number are unviewable (perhaps for good reason) and I just don't know. A similar thread on bannings would be both informative and helpful.

    On the locked posts, there is one in particular which was in fact deleted which I have in my PM. The individual in question no longer has this power and I see no real point in dredging this up again, I am in fact somewhat surprised that you do not know who I am referring to.

    However, this directly contradicts your statement "no post is ever deleted". This one was in fact deleted, not moved, was PM'd to me, I immediately sent it to higher authority, whether directly related to this or not I do not know but appropriate corrective action was taken shortly thereafter. There were other users noting the inappropriate locks, since the only example I have I was directly involved in I plead conflict of interest. I do note that I posted the exact same information in another thread and it was of at least minimal interest to a few. Had to do with possible "copy less likely" methods.

    The locked one was quite some time ago, the deleted one fairly recent and I still have a copy.
    If you want it I will send it to you, again IMO that particular problem has been resolved.

    But for the bannings I think there should be a no-discussion-allowed, mod's-post-only public thread simply stating "such-and-such was banned for the following reason" such as spamming, direct threats of specific violence, warez, racial slurs, terminal stupidity, whatever but including a specific action (example not necessarily needed) as opposed to "violation of forum rules".

    The fact that rules are enforced is a good thing, advertise it. It appears you understood the "Night and Fog" reference, good. Full disclosure prevents paranoia and mistrust.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Originally Posted by hech54
    This site is not called hech54.com so I have no say in the matter....and I know it.
    Yes you do. As a long term member in good standing we do take notice of anything you would like to suggest or comment on.
    Thank You very much Sir.
    Maybe I shouldn't have been so "negative" in my wording.
    My only point was things may go on behind the scenes that are not
    known to me/us.
    People can and probably have been banned for PM-ing nastygrams outside
    of a viewable thread....and that only concerns the Mods and need not be explained
    every time.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Banned
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    People can and probably have been banned for PM-ing nastygrams outside
    of a viewable thread....and that only concerns the Mods and need not be explained
    every time.
    Actually most if not all bannings involve two people, the bannor and the bannee. Are we children on the playground where we must know everybodys business?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    The vast majority of banned members are commercial spammers. That is an instant ban. Regular members may be banned for outrageous conduct or continued violation of our rules after multiple warnings. This is our warning system: https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=170319

    We don't take banning a regular member lightly. There is often discussion among the Mods before that action is taken. If you wonder why a member was banned, PM the Mod that issued the ban and they will likely explain it. But we need to protect our site. There are many government authorities, organizations, companies and individuals that watch us. With our visitor count of over 2,200,000 a month as of January 2006, I think we do pretty well.

    Our rules are fairly simple. If a member reads them and abides by them, they will never get a warning card or be banned. In the case of a 'gray' area in our rules, we usually PM the member and explain our interpretation and we try to correct the wording of our rules to eliminate 'gray' areas. Each Mod uses their own judgment and may have access to outside information to make their determinations. If we make mistakes, we try to correct them.

    No posts are ever deleted, but they may be moved to 'Closed Topics' and not viewable by regular members. AFAIK, every post ever made on this site is still on our servers. That's a scary thought for some of us as we look back to our first posts or past mistakes.

    And to answer the thread title, no, there have actually been fewer bans issued in the last month than in the previous months. Even some of the commercial spammers seem to have gotten the message that we don't allow them here.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member hech54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Yank in Europe
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by hech54
    People can and probably have been banned for PM-ing nastygrams outside
    of a viewable thread....and that only concerns the Mods and need not be explained
    every time.
    Actually most if not all bannings involve two people, the bannor and the bannee. Are we children on the playground where we must know everybodys business?
    Um...try reading that again.

    Quote Quote  
  25. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Originally Posted by waheed
    has a mod ever been banned just for fun
    If I'm not mistaken, at least one of the mods within the last two years has banned themselves accidently.
    I banned myself by accident once. I just wondered if it would work. It did.

    I'll try to provide more detail when banning someone in the future wherever possible in response to this thread. We get a lot of spammers, though, which may be why there appear to be a lot of "banned" accounts showing up just now.
    Quote Quote  
  26. Video Restorer lordsmurf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    dFAQ.us/lordsmurf
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Adam quit (briefly) and Smurf was De-Modded due to a dispute between the two and inappropriate conduct on Smurf's part..
    You have no idea what you're talking about. What you just said is false. Keep your pulled-from-the-ass guesses to yourself, thank you very much. Do not spread untrue rumors. Mods simply come and go, sometimes even admins, it's the nature of a long-lasting site.

    ........... at any rate, several mods were banned due to shenangians and us just playing with buttons. tgpo, offline, adam, myself, Craig Tucker, capmaster, cobra ... it was actually quite funny in most instances.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Preservationist davideck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    USA
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by offline
    Sometimes members ask to be banned.
    Why would someone want to be banned?
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Wile_E
    Why are so many people on this forum being banned lately? While searching through posts, I see people that are banned and had an account for several years. Yet their last post doesn't have a banning explanation by the mods. Was it reasonable cause, or do they ban people just for having a different opinion?
    Maybe this is the cause https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=354834#354834
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member yoda313's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    The Animus
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by davideck
    Originally Posted by offline
    Sometimes members ask to be banned.
    Why would someone want to be banned?
    It was mentioned earlier - burnout.

    Sometimes you can get too plugged into the online world and need to force yourself away. Or you don't want to be harassed by certain members. Or you have famiy obligations in the "real world" and need to force yourself from staying in one place too much.

    Many other reasons too....
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  30. VH Veteran jimmalenko's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Down under
    Search PM
    Of course just not visiting the site or not logging in apparently isn't a viable option ......

    Some people feel the need to be protected ..... from themselves
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  



Similar Threads