VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    sorry if i cant ask that on this site. i have a bootleg movie in 2 mpg files and want only one file for the hole movie how do i join them together? or is there a program i could use?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Yes youcan use MPEG2 Works 4. It has the ability to join mpeg files.
    Quote Quote  
  3. MPEG Streamclip can join similar MPEG files:

The joined files must have the same PIDs, the same start codes, and the same audio/video properties (that is, they must come from the same source or channel). Using "Convert to MPEG" before joining the files can be helpful, because it changes PIDs and start codes to a default value.

The preferred method to join streams is to Copy one stream in MPEG Streamclip, open another stream and Paste it there. This method checks that the joined streams indeed are compatible.

Another method is to put the MPEGs in the same folder, and rename them so that they sort as desired in list view. Then select them via MPEG Streamclip's "File/Open Files..." dialog box (Shift- or Command-click to select multiple MPEGs). Then choose "Edit/Fix Timecode Breaks". After this MPEG Streamclip should report the combined length of all MPEGs (check the Log Window if you want to know whether any timecode breaks were found). Then choose "File/Convert to MPEG... or /Save As..." to save them in a single file.

If the video transition between two files looks bad, you can use the Cut command to improve it. You can join very different and incompatible MPEGs with this latter method so the end result is not guaranteed to work.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by havema-1
    MPEG Streamclip can join similar MPEG files:

The preferred method to join streams is to Copy one stream in MPEG Streamclip, open another stream and Paste it there. This method checks that the joined streams indeed are compatible.
    I love MPEG Streamclip because unlike other applications, it managed to merge the 2 mpg files I extracted from my VCD dat without giving me a pixelated transition between the two.

I used this method quoted above, but the output file is actually *smaller* than one of the two files I joinied! The output file should actually be 15 MB files larger (because the smaller of the two files is 15MB).

What's going on? Is MPEG Streamclip compressing my file?? Or is it deleting 16MB worth of headers? This is very odd. I don't want to compress the file any further as the source isn't great to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You can do this easily on the command line.... (assuming you have mencoder in your path)

mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o output.avi video1.avi video2.avi
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry I know it's a long while since the last post, but I can't find mencoder for Windows in the SMPlayer package.
    Where can I download it from?
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Many encoders uses it so you can download for example tencoder, the portable version https://www.videohelp.com/download/TEncoder(2.9.3221)(portable).7z

Or from http://www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/projects.html#windows but most have very old versions...

Or do you want the mac version? Then I'm not sure...
    Quote Quote  
  8. forget command lines, use MpegStreamClip, available on Mac or windows.
    It does a very nicer job while concatening files: it create all new display informations from both sources while creating the new file (usually others soft do not do it )
    PS: do not buy the Apple's mpeg2 codec if MPSC ask for it. Try first without it, you will not see what you do but it should work
    PPS: load file 1, select all + copy, load file 2, go to beginning, paste, …and save

bye
    For DVD, iPad, HD, connected TV, iMovie & FCPX? MovieConverter-Studio 3 (01/24/2015) - Handle your camcorder's videos? even in 60p or 60i? do a slow-motion? MovieCam.
    Quote Quote