VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I loaded a DVD I made with my DVD recorder to my laptop's hard drive to watch on a train. I just copied the DVD files to a new folder on my HD, drag and drop. I then decided to make a back up copy, nero said the files in the new folder failed the DVD complicance test. Was this the wrong way to make a copy of a homemade DVD?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Drag and drop should work just fine.

However you can use dvd decrypter or dvd shrink to simply copy the whole thing to the computer. I have done this no problem with my lieton dvd recorder - I've been able to reauthor them and make a new dvd.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I don't know that I would take Nero's word for non-compliance. It seems to want to re-encode perfectly compliant video fairly often. As long as you dragged all the files in the VIDEO_TS folder to your new location, you would have an exact copy. If you just grabbed the VOBs, then you would have to reauthor or restore them, and the rest of the parts, to burn as a compliant DVD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redwudz
    If you just grabbed the VOBs, then you would have to reauthor or restore them,
    Couldn't you just make a video_ts folder and use ifoedit to make new ifo and bup files and then burn?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  5. That depends what kind of dvd recorder you have & if you finailized the disks or not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. DVDs made in a set top recorder may have different file folder structures, like a VIDEO_RM folder.

To make duplicate copies, I rip/burn as an iso.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by yoda313
    Drag and drop should work just fine.

However you can use dvd decrypter or dvd shrink to simply copy the whole thing to the computer. I have done this no problem with my lieton dvd recorder - I've been able to reauthor them and make a new dvd.
    Does DVD shrink encode the files or change them in some way?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If they are already single layer discs it will just do a staight copy.
    Quote Quote