VideoHelp Forum

Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Consider supporting us by disable your adblocker or Try ConvertXtoDVD and convert all your movies to DVD. Free trial ! :)
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm looking to transfer several analog sources (VHS, VHS-C, Hi8, etc) to DVD, I would like to record directly from VHS to DVD without going through HDD to save time, and I would like to have VBR technology for optimal video quality and auto chaptering on the DVD for easy navigation. it also need to have S-video, Composite and DV inputs. It does not need to have a VHS deck integrated into it. Which brand and model do you recommend?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    JVC DR-M10 or DR-M100 are popular choices and they meet all of your requirements. Sometimes listed as DR-M100S I think...
    Quote Quote  
  3. Toshiba D-R4, you can pick up one on ebay for less than $100 new, around $40-60 used. Chapters can be set at 5, 10, 15, 20 minutes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by digicube
    I'm looking to transfer several analog sources (VHS, VHS-C, Hi8, etc) to DVD, I would like to record directly from VHS to DVD without going through HDD to save time
    FWIW, I have found that;

In the long run, the added convenience, flexibility, and capabilities of a HDD unit will save time, frustration, and blank media. As examples;

Capturing to the HDD with Timeslip capability will allow you to verify the capture quality while you're capturing instead of after the entire DVD is burned. Will you ever see something strange in the tape playback during capture and wonder what the capture looks like? With Timeslip, you can search through the capture in progress and replay a section as many times as you like.

Will you ever want to start the capture at a specific point? Timeslip will allow you to verify this in seconds and start over as many times as you like without wasting time and media.

Will you ever want to edit?
    Will you ever wish that you could move/add/delete chapter points?
    Will you ever want to make multiple DVD versions from the same capture(s)?
    Will you ever want backups or multiple copies?
    The list goes on and on.

As you gain experience and refine your DVD capturing/editing/authoring process, the value of the HDD will become more and more apparent. If you value your time, the quality of your product, and the quality of the experience, then the HDD will easily pay for itself IMO.

For analog tape captures, I recommend a Toshiba DVD Recorder because of its exceptional TBC performance and overall Picture Quality.
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1482771#1482771
    Quote Quote  
  5. You may also want to take a quick look at the Polaroid DRM-2001G. About $218 at Walmart.

The YesDVD software looks very interesting and the unit has an LSI chip. I plan on buying one as soon as my Walmart gets them in.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by davideck
    Will you ever want to edit?
    Will you ever wish that you could move/add/delete chapter points?
    Will you ever want to make multiple DVD versions from the same capture(s)?
    Will you ever want backups or multiple copies?
    The list goes on and on.
    The above features would be great but I was thinking that if I want to edit the video, I can do it on a PC. Couldn't I?

I think I'm buying the Toshiba D-R5.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can edit on a PC if you have a program to do it with.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I do not believe the DR-5 has the DV input you mentioned in your original post. The least expensive Toshiba with it seems to be the D-KR2.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Thanks I'll get the D-KR2 then. Any difference in performance between TBC and digital TBC?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The above features would be great but I was thinking that if I want to edit the video, I can do it on a PC. Couldn't I?
    Yes, of course, but note that this will involve transferring the captured file(s) to a hard drive.

Any difference in performance between TBC and digital TBC?
    I suspect not.
    Quote Quote