VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10
FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi tase2,

Congrats on your choice of the Polaroid!

To get your Polaroid's OUTPUT to display a picture, you have to
    locate on the remote the [MONITOR] button, and press it several
    times, depending on the format you desire for your tv..

** Tuner; Composite/RCA; S-Video; YUV(component)

..then, you'll be able to see what's going on. In this case:

I have composites out from Polaroid to TV
    you would press the MON button once, to get RCA switched on for
    composite out to your tv

CONS:
    The only minor glitch w/ the Polaroid in this area, is that
    it seems to revert back to the Tuner; by default. Its not a
    big deal, but to some, it can be a minor annoyance, sometimes.

-vhelp 4124
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks vhelp

My Polaroid remote has no MONITOR button

Am I missing something?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Am I missing something?
    Yes. Your glassis Serious, though.. the button is at the top,
    just under the RED power (!) button.

-vhelp 4125
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto
    Hello. I just purchased this DVR based on a lot of the reviews here and I have a problam I was hoping somehere could help me with. I want to record game play from video games but there is a delay when I play trough the dvr. If there anyway to get rid of the delay? Or if there isn't a way to get rid of the delay then does anybody know where I could buy a device that would let me split the signal from my xbox360 so that I can send one signal to the tv so I could play without the delay and one signal to the dvr for recording?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    You can buy a device that splits the signal at a RADIO SHACK. Usually such a device is referred to as a Video Distribution Amp.

For instance ---> CLICK HERE

Not cheap I know but usually a device like this will go for a lot more money. That device will accept composite or S-Video and will output the same. It also will allow you to input composite and outputs S-Video.

Here is another RADIO SHACK device ---> CLICK HERE

This one costs a bit more but it is better because it accepts component video for input and output. This way you can use the component output of the XobX 360 for best quality.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    New Question-RE: Audio SetUp

I saw much discussion about Stereo vs Mono etc.
    But I am at the Audio SetUp Menu and I am wondering how most folks have theirs set up?

Analog Audio Output? 2 CH or 5.1?

SPDIF Output? RAW or LPCM?

LPCM Output? 48K or 96K?

Dynamic Range??

I've got R&W from source out to the back of Polaroid

Will be hooking it up to 5.1 later on, but for now assume just red & white.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by vhelp

CONS:
    The only minor glitch w/ the Polaroid in this area, is that
    it seems to revert back to the Tuner; by default. Its not a
    big deal, but to some, it can be a minor annoyance, sometimes.

-vhelp 4124
    You can set the startup default in the setup menu under timeshift. You can also set it to timeshift on/off. I set mine up to s-video/off which means when I turn it on it defaults to the s-video input with the timeshift feature off.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Thank you for posting all the helpful info. I am new to forums please excuse my ettiqute or the lack there of.

Im having a problem finaliizing and viewing my recordings to optical device when i press DVD as the manual says i see the little hand in the lower right hand corner with the red circle and cannot view what i have recorded I have contacted the manufacture and they know not why but directed me to this forum any ideas?
    p.s the system allows me to record to the dvd but i can do nothing else and other dvd's play just fine
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by BlindMaphisto
    Hello. I just purchased this DVR based on a lot of the reviews here and I have a problam I was hoping somehere could help me with. I want to record game play from video games but there is a delay when I play trough the dvr. If there anyway to get rid of the delay? Or if there isn't a way to get rid of the delay then does anybody know where I could buy a device that would let me split the signal from my xbox360 so that I can send one signal to the tv so I could play without the delay and one signal to the dvr for recording?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Sounds like the timeslip function is on. Try turning it off (it's the button next to the rec/otr button). If this works you may want to keep it from coming on every time you power up the recorder by disabling it in the setup menu, it's kinda hidden in the default source option which has on & off selections for each input source.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tase2
    New Question-RE: Audio SetUp

I saw much discussion about Stereo vs Mono etc.
    But I am at the Audio SetUp Menu and I am wondering how most folks have theirs set up?

Analog Audio Output? 2 CH or 5.1?

SPDIF Output? RAW or LPCM?

LPCM Output? 48K or 96K?

Dynamic Range??

I've got R&W from source out to the back of Polaroid

Will be hooking it up to 5.1 later on, but for now assume just red & white.
    If you're using just the analog stereo outputs then select 2 CH and most of rest doesn't matter. The dynamic range setting is a something of a loudness or volume control. Setting it to anything other than "off" reduces the difference in volume level between the loudest sounds and the softest sounds. Maybe it's useful for movies than have really loud explosions that might annoy the neighbors but I leave mine off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks vhelp
    Am I missing something ?
    Originally Posted by vhelp

-vhelp 4125

Maybe he's not missing his glasses. My "B" model has a monitor button as you described above but I note that the manual depicts a button labeled "input" in it's place. Maybe later model remotes are labeled "input" instead of "monitor" ? Anyone care to comment on what's on an F or G model remote ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The_Knife
    Thanks vhelp
    Am I missing something ?
    Originally Posted by vhelp

-vhelp 4125

Maybe he's not missing his glasses. My "B" model has a monitor button as you described above but I note that the manual depicts a button labeled "input" in it's place. Maybe later model remotes are labeled "input" instead of "monitor" ? Anyone care to comment on what's on an F or G model remote ?
    Ding Ding we have a winner.

But the button needed is the button directly under the power button, so your help was greatly apprecaited.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Gosh I feel stupid.

I recorded "The Shining" in HQ from my Tivo to the Polaroid HDD.

I now want to take it from HDD to CD+R.

I went into HDD-Highlighted it and pressed record.
    Is is supposed to record 1:1? There must be a quicker way to burn a disc. I'm not even sure I'm recording now. Doh
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you want a recording to end up on 1 DVD, you need to decide that before you record to the hard drive and record it at the appropriate setting. For example, a 2 1/2 hour movie needs to be recorded at SP+.
    If you want to record at HQ you can then use the Split feature on the Polaroid to split it into smaller portions to record on multiple DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grantsoo
    If you want a recording to end up on 1 DVD, you need to decide that before you record to the hard drive and record it at the appropriate setting. For example, a 2 1/2 hour movie needs to be recorded at SP+.
    If you want to record at HQ you can then use the Split feature on the Polaroid to split it into smaller portions to record on multiple DVDs.
    OK Thanks

So if I rerecord it it at SP+ and it is now sitting in HDD
    what is the best method (i.e. button presses) for it to then end up on a DVD that will play in a stand alone DVD player?

(I have a 16x disc in there now)
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Press HDD
    use up/down buttons to move to Title
    Press ADD/CLEAR (Record display will show on right side of Title)
    Press REC/OTR

When done (disc recording display in top left of TV screen disappears)
    Press DVD
    Press up arrow
    Press right arrow
    Select Finalize Disc
    Select Yes (I really want to do this)

When done DVD should now play on other players
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by grantsoo
    Press HDD
    use up/down buttons to move to Title
    Press ADD/CLEAR (Record display will show on right side of Title)
    Press REC/OTR

When done (disc recording display in top left of TV screen disappears)
    Press DVD
    Press up arrow
    Press right arrow
    Select Finalize Disc
    Select Yes (I really want to do this)

When done DVD should now play on other players
    Thanks so much

I am about 6 hours away from being home and trying again. I will let you know.

When I do the above-if it is a 2.5 hour movie at SP+, how long should it take to burn to the disc?

I am going to assume that 16x CD+R will be ok?
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The burning should take about 20 minutes.
    I don't know about the CD disc.
    I've tried DVD-R and DVD+R.
    I've found DVD+R burns faster and in general will have greater compatability
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Of Course I meant DVD+R
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As it seems to be turning out, it is just as easy to record to optical disc as HDD since I manually have to start the Tivo anyway.

It finalizes on its own or at least it plays on my stand alone DVD player and that is all I really care about.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, if you record right to optical using YesDVD, it does finalize itself.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Does this unit have input black level settings (to properly record either 7.5 IRE or 0 IRE sources)?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    gshelley61,

No. It's just a bare-bones machine. But a really good one, in terms
    of quality. Really.

Its not like the Pioneer's, where they have various setup screens to
    adjust just about everything thought up.. like the IRE levels.

It is my opinion that the current Polaroid DMR-2100G model is
    pre-defaulted with a setup for 7.5 IRE levels.

If you want, you could use the pics [located on page 1] and run them
    through your favorite histogram app and see what you get. Or, if you
    need a fresh setup of pics and things, request them here and we could
    start that process

A Special Note !!

** Image Measuring Tools Project.. **
    I have a histogram tool I'm working on, but it's not perfect, because
    the scale is not set to scale automatically -- it doesn't *normalize*
    the inside the window properly, so you have to set it manually by Trial
    n Error -- not a good way to start a public distribution, IMO. But, at
    least it's only 20 K in size, hehe

Note, if I can figure out what I'm not doing right in the the histogram
    tool, I'll post it here.

I also want to develop a few other image measuring tools. Much like those
    found in Vegas and/or Premier. But, at current, I lack a few brain cells
    in some of the how-to's. But, when I do figure them out, I'll post them
    here for everyone to use as measuring tools instead of using expansive
    and memory hogging applications like vegas and premier, to name a few.

Anyone is welcomed to help out, if they want. Just PM me for details.

-vhelp 4132
    Quote Quote  
  23. Looks like there may be a Canadian version of the 2001G,

Have a look at this link,
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=313329

The 2001G has an accurate IRE=7.5 tested here,
    https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=279460&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=97
    Quote Quote  
  24. Thanks. From the posted tests it does look like it is set to record 7.5 IRE black level sources correctly. Image quality looks about the same as other LSI encoding chip based DVD recorders I've looked at, too. It apparently masks a few pixels on the left and right frame edges, which is no big deal.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Unfortunately, I've run into trouble 2 months after purchasing this Polaroid recorder. Today when powering the recorder on, instead of the usual Blue Polaroid logo screen, I get a grey screen with a vertical bar in the middle of screen. What a bummer.... I guess I'm going to have to look into getting this thing fixed, fortunately still under 90 day warranty. I've been enjoying this machine and the quality, putting up with all of its quirks. I've fiddled with the monitor buttion to no avail.

Anyone else have any trouble with their 2001G or suggestions.?

Mitch

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it has been less than 90 days and you bought it at WALMART (which to the best of my knowledge is the only place selling it) then you might be able to return it and get another. I think the WALMART return policy is 90 days or less.

If that is an issue (no receipt or no original box etc.) then buy a new one at WALMART and take it out of the box and put the old one in the box and then return THAT for a money back refund. That might not be "ethical" to some but consider this: your unit should not break down in less than 90 days so ... sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by FulciLives
    If it has been less than 90 days and you bought it at WALMART (which to the best of my knowledge is the only place selling it) then you might be able to return it and get another. I think the WALMART return policy is 90 days or less.

If that is an issue (no receipt or no original box etc.) then buy a new one at WALMART and take it out of the box and put the old one in the box and then return THAT for a money back refund. That might not be "ethical" to some but consider this: your unit should not break down in less than 90 days so ... sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

Thanks for the quick feedback. You know, since I was a little leary about buying a Polaroid device, I kept everything including receipt from, yes, Walmart purchase on 9/22/06. I don't usually go to Walmart but I'd expect them to have a pretty good return policy so, I guess that would be the quickest and cleanest option... assuming they have them in stock. I'll probably wait until Sat to avoid crowds.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Our old reliable GE1101PB set top DVD player recently died so I went looking for a good replacement. I didn't realize how hard it was to find a comparable player to the one we had! While looking for one I ran across this thread . . . WOW! Nice review and comments! Our old VCR was on it's last legs too, so I took the plunge and bought one of these PVRs so I thought I'd chime in with a few comments too . . .

*) First, our Walmart only had one - the display model. They showed 3 in stock but couldn't find them! They called other stores and no one else had one either! Probably a popular item over the Thanksgiving shopping weekend. An interesting thing though - I asked if they could order one and if so how long would it take. The clerk said it was marked as a "do not reorder" item. I asked if it was discontinued or what and the clerk said it could be that, or each store tailors it's stock to what sells and it may not have been popular enough. I had checked earlier and Walmart.com was showing them in stock and I thought about it, but the display model looked good, no scratches or anything, and it hadn't even been hooked up. I asked if I could buy it and they offered me 10% off. I asked for 30% as I'd just bought a closeout display product from them a week before and that's what they gave me (I didn't even ask for it - that was their first offer). They said no, but then I pointed out that the box for it was missing the styrofoam packing and I wanted to give it for a gift (ok, the gift was to myself but they didn't need to know that!) so they then said they'd give 20% off . . . I said DEAL!

I wonder what's up with that . . . is it being discontinued, a new model coming out, or ???? Maybe if you want one you should grab it now!

*) So far so good . . . I got it setup and am learning to run it (only had an hour or so to play earlier tonight).

*) As an earlier poster noted, I can't seem to edit the channel label on mine either - I can select it but I can't do anything when I select it except arrow down past it.

*) I don't know the manufacture date of mine, I'll check tomorrow, but my remote range SUCKS too! I'll hit Radio Shack for an LED tomorrow . . . just use a pocket knife to pry the remote apart? Is the polarity noted on the circuit board?

*) Our remote also says "Input" rather than "Display"

*) Anyone hacking the firmware yet??? That timer icon is annoying and more than 8 timer settings would be nice!

Like I said, so far so good! I can't wait till the warranty is up so I can shove a bigger hard drive in the thing!!!!

THANKS for the GREAT review . . . nothing like finding a huge bargain ever now and then!!!!

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There's a review of this unit at:
    http://www.technudgelive.com/reviews/?p=91

In it he claims the DVD playback had stutters and the such (with factory DVDs).

Seems strange since it can handle video off of the hard drive just fine and the DVD drive is apparently a pc DVD drive.

Anyone else seen this behavior?

Also, on another forum I ran across this . . . a 3 year extended warranty from Walmart for $23.88.
    http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4100445

One thing I hadn't thought of . . . in 2009 analog broadcast will be shut off and switched to digital. I'm on cable and our first 60 channels are analog, but I wonder if they will keep providing those in analog or switch everything to digital.

Oh well, hopefully Polaroid will come out with a model with a digital tuner in it for us (a stereo one! And still for only $200!!!! )

Steve
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Just got a little time to play with the new toy before I gotta head to bed . . .

I timer recorded an hour program last night (American Hot Rod) to the hard drive at SP+ speed. Today it was there and I could watch from the hard drive. I was also able to burn it to disc and watch it. One problem crept up though . . . when I try to watch the disc on our GE 1101PA downstairs (it still works) it plays fine, but if I try to fast forward it moves forward by leaps and bounds, not the 2x, 4x, etc. it's supposed to. It'll jump from begining to end in a heart beat! Anyone else have this problem?

I forgot to set the chaptertimes so it doesn't have chapters . . . I can set the chapter time and reburn it and get chapters, or did I need the chapter time set before I recorded the program? I know, I know, I should play and find out, but it's bed time now (I'm working 3rd shift for the next couple weeks).

Also, I was a little leary of tearing into the remote for a new LED at first . . . I can solder well and stuff, but my luck just isn't very good! However I checked the Polaroid web site and you can order a spare remote for $15 so I'm ordering another one and tearing into this one (and the spare if the mod to this one works!).

G'night all . . .

Steve
    Quote Quote