VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 10
FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I reinserted my recorded DVD. Then I pressed DVD. It loaded up. I pressed UP and got the Polaroid menu feature. I pressed RIGHT and a scrolling menu popped up with the following options: Play, Rename Disc, Erase Optical Disc, Record a New Title, Overwrite Disc, and Lock Disk. Is one of these used to "Finalize" the disc, or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks for sticking with me on this!!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A couple of things:
    1. I can and do finalize all +R discs. It gets rid of the annoying unrecorded section of the disc on the menu when you insert it.
    2. On an inserted finalized disc, I press the up arrow to get the next menu, but get nothing after that. I do not get the regular Erase, Lock, Rename, Finalize menu any longer. I guess once you finalize, you no longer need those options.
    3. I occasionally record a disc that will not play on my other DVD player, maybe 1 in 10 at the most. It will play on the Polaroid and on a computer, but not on another player. I did a re-record once and the new disc did play. Not sure what happened there. I also had one occasion where a non finalized +R would not play on the other player, I finalized it and it did.

General note: Be carefull that you load the DVD properly. I had one go in a little off centre and had a huge racket before I could shut the machine down.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So... can you help me with finalizing a disc?

Here is what happened when I made the attempt... I reinserted my recorded DVD. Then I pressed DVD. It loaded up. I pressed UP and got the Polaroid menu feature. I pressed RIGHT and a scrolling menu popped up with the following options: Play, Rename Disc, Erase Optical Disc, Record a New Title, Overwrite Disc, and Lock Disk. Is one of these used to "Finalize" the disc, or have I done something incorrectly?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm lost on this one. The menu you describe is the one where I get "Finalize Disc."
    You can try their 800 help number. I got through right away when I called with one question and the person was able to help.
    Quote Quote  
  5. when you insert DVD+R you get the menu of segments that you burned so far, hit the up arrow invisible menu appears then to the right and finalize. This is only for disc you have to finalize like dvd+r not +rw.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I contacted Polaroid customer service. They said that the unit will NOT finalize a +RW disc - only a +R disc. So... it sounds like I am basically screwed as far as being able to use re-recordable discs to watch on my other DVD unit. That is a serious bummer for me, as that was one of the main things I bought this unit for!! Ouch!!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try playing the disk anyway.
    On my old Philips 75, DVD+RWs did not require any finalizing.
    Losing one's sense of humor....
    is nothing to laugh at.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I turn off the Music Video production from yesDVD?
    Someone mentioned here that you could.
    Thanks,
    k
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello all,

Very interesting topic, I already learn a lot down here re. this Polaroid unit ... Anyway, here is my question : how to change the DVD region since I have a lot of original DVD from Europe and most of them will not play ?

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    To turn off music videos:
    Press Setup
    Scroll down to YeSDVD
    Select Music Video Off

I don't know if I missed something here, but the videos are so ducky, using computer generated midi music, I turned them off right away. Is there any way to get anything of quality out of it?
    Quote Quote  
  11. It's a shame they didn't use real music for the music videos. YesDVD is a pretty cool feature otherwise.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Next :
    what about your plan on installing a Hard Disk 500 MB?

Was OK?.
    All is possible
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Somebody are "play" a DVD burned in the Polaroid 2001G
    in another brand "DVD PLAYER" to speeds of 4, 8, or 16?
    does it work well?
    My DVDs only work well in other brands to speeds 1 or 2.
    A video of 1 hour, at any superior speed to 2,
    always is playing at 10 seconds.
    is it a SETUP error? (that do I?)
    or Design error?

Alguien ha probado ejecutar un DVD generado en el Polaroid
    2001G en un DVD PLAYER de diferente marca a velocidades de
    4, 8 o 16?
    Les funciono bien?
    En otras marcas a mi, solo me funciona bien a velocidades 1 y 2.
    Un video de 1 hora de duracion,
    displayado a cualquier velocidad superior a 2
    siempre lo proyecta en 10 segundos.
    Esto es un problema de un error de setup que yo he hecho?
    o ... un error de diseno?
    All is possible
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fast.jo
    Hello all,
    Very interesting topic, I already learn a lot down here re. this Polaroid unit ... Anyway, here is my question : how to change the DVD region since I have a lot of original DVD from Europe and most of them will not play ?
    Thanks !
    I think DVD region is usually associated to the DVD drive itself rather than the machine the drive is connected to. Also there are reports that ppl can swap the DVD burner in the Polaroid unit to get better HD->DVD burn speed, etc. And some dvd-drive firmware can be loaded with a hacked version that makes the dvd drive region free (like my BenQ 1620).

Putting all together, I think you might be able to disable the region encoding if you swap the Polaroid's DVD drive with another drive that has a region-free FW loaded.

This is just my unproven, educated guess. Maybe someone can test this.

Also, I know this Polaroid recorder can play Divx and MPEG4. But can it play these types of files burned on a CD instead of a DVD?
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Okay... I am ready to "rip" the DVD content of some shows I have recorded on my 2001G to my computer HD. I have them burned to a DVD from the 2001G.

Now... how do I locate the correct files, and what program do I use to "rip" the DVD to my computer HD? I need to do this so that I can then burn a regular DVD from my computer that I can play on my other DVD player...
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    You need the proper software to do this. I use Nero 6 by choosing DVD option (instead of CD) in Nero StartSmart, then select "Copy Multiple DVD-Video Movies to One" option under "Copy and Backup".
    Other software will work too. But you cannot simply just copy the entire DVD b/c you will need to re-compose the DVD so it is no longer in VR format.
    This is general DVD burning question that probably is more fitting on a different thread. You can get lot of info regarding video authoring on: http://www.doom9.org/
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by starflier23
    Okay... I am ready to "rip" the DVD content of some shows I have recorded on my 2001G to my computer HD. I have them burned to a DVD from the 2001G.

Now... how do I locate the correct files, and what program do I use to "rip" the DVD to my computer HD? I need to do this so that I can then burn a regular DVD from my computer that I can play on my other DVD player...
    You should be able to play the DVD burned on the Polaroid on your other DVD player without having to use your PC. Just make sure after you are finished with moving content to the disc that you finalize the disc. Without this step the disc will only play on the Polaroid.

For help in ripping a DVD there is a great forum on this site that should be able to walk you through the process. I believe you will get more timely answers to your ripping questions there. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i couldnt find it in the specs or manual anywhere so i asked polaroid. i wonder if they changed or the people they have answering questions just don't know what they're talking about.

To: bondiablo@XXXXX.com
    Subject: Polaroid Electronics: Response to your inquiry
    Date: Sun, 5 Nov 2006 17:47:23 -0500

Stereo

---------------------
    j e
    On 11/04/2006 you asked:

DRM-2001G: DVD Recorder with 80GB Hard Drive. Is the TV tuner in this
    model stereo or mono?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Evening everyone

Sorry faulks.. for being away for such a long time and not posting or
    responding to anything on these forums. I've been really busy with several
    image/video programming projects, and only on occasion lurk around here
    in silent mode, only to read a few topics whenever I could, bla bla bla

(as for the projects.., I'm still at it, and probably won't be around
    here as much, though)

Anyways..

Regarding the never ending bus. with the audio being Stereo/Mono..
    Its a shame that this great unit does not support it inside the TV Tuner.
    Everything else is Stereo when you hook up audio sound from other sources
    to the unit.

Bondiablo..
    I think *that guy* was generically stating the trueth, that the unit is
    Stereo, which is true. But, its my best impression (ok, judgement) that
    he didn't have for-knowledge about the TV Tuner and Audio mystery oh well.

One of the uses I get out of the Polaroid, includes..
    Where I hook my Hisense, USDigital USDTV DB-2010's component
    outputs to the Polaroid's component inputs, and record HDTV -- at least
    those channels that *DO* come in and the audio is Stereo that way.

Oh, and I still use my VCR to this day to record my favorite tv programs,
    and in 6hr EP mode, hehe. Ohhh... I gotta get ready to set it up for my
    "Heroes".

-vhelp 4118
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just a simple question....are the Polaroid units available in Canada? I don't see them on Polaroid Canada's website but that doesn't mean anything as the newer Daytek's are not listed at the Daytek site either. So far I have checked out the major B&M stores in my area and come up with nada. Still looking.....
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I could not find one in Canada.
    I picked one up in Michigan.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Although I'm only 60 Km from the US border, I'm 300 Km from the nearest US Wal-Mart or other store that might have one. I'll have to check with friends in US cities.....
    Quote Quote  
  23. On a +RW disk

You do not need to. or should finalise a +RW disk in ANY Unit , period
    Many units will refuse to do this. In Some an attempt to do so will screw up the dosk .
    I this happens the recorder may show no disk present or ?. and the disk may become unusable. and only Fully erased in a PC.
    A number of units [mostly older] will not play a +R or +RW disk.
    Some that are this way will play a +disk -- BUT -- have nothing to do with a +RW
    I mainly use +RW disks, some have been used over and over many times. I can Burn a -disk in my unit.

PS
    My daughter has a Toshiba that does not play a + disk, but sometimes will, om a +R disk but it will NOT play a +RW disk
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    QUESTIONS:

1.) Can I watch a DVD movie while recording something from the TV Tuner (cable)?

2.) Output audio is maxed at 384k? So if I watch movies in DTS Surround Sound (700k+) it won't output that high? Or is this different because I am using a optical cable out to my 5.1 receiver?

3.) So there aren't any replacement remotes for this model? Heard sometbody mention Harmony remotes am I right?
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have a question to this product. This is the second unit, as the first I had exchanged thinking there was a problem. I even called tech support on this. When connected to my sony reciever via opt connection, when the unit is either timeshift recording or recording a show you can hear a slight "thump" noise as like a heartbeat. Its heard better from the sub on my 6.1 system. Even when I change the connections to analog, I still hear this noise.

If I shut the recording off though, the noise is gone. And yes, it shows up on the recordings as well. When I talked to customer support they said this is a standard noise just amplified due to my reciever. Has anyone else heard this noise? I doubt there would be such high praise from people who have this unit and hear this problem, since it is annoying.

Thankyou.
    -Jon
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am gonna pick up one of these units, But i havent read anywhere about recording thru the componant vid inputs,,,, Thats the main reason i am picking up this bad boy is the component vid input recording from my satellites or Vcr,,,
    IF anyone has info on it could you please post
    Thanks
    btw does the tv guardian work with the hdd or just with dvd playback?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    camlachie,

(you'll be making a great choice, should you purchase this unit)

..Thats the main reason i am picking up this bad boy is the component vid input recording from my satellites or Vcr,,,
    IF anyone has info on it could you please post..
    regarding component..

In addition to RECORDing from Composite/RCA and S-Video.., Yes, it does
    RECORD from component sources. I have recorded from my:

** Hisense, USDigital USDTV DB-2010 receiver's component output..

..with great success!

Note, because I do not have an HDTV (TV/Monitor) I can only record from
    the 480i setting. Since I can't see 720 and/or 1080 resolutions, I can't
    nativage (aka, test) the other 3 higher resolutions for to my Polaroid.
    But the HDTV receiver, when set to 480i, will record in very good quality.

Thus, the one thing that I am not clear on, (and is why I did not post it
    in the first place, here) is weather or not, the Polaroid records the
    HDTV sources (via component IN/OUT) in the higher resolutions, 720/1080.

- To test this, one would have to have an HDTV (TV/Monitor) so that they
    can actaully see the resoution (video image) to run the this test

-vhelp 4122
    Quote Quote  
  28. The Polaroid will not record in high definition. It, like all other DVD recorders, can only record in standard definition (480i).
    Quote Quote  
  29. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello. I just purchased this DVR based on a lot of the reviews here and I have a problam I was hoping somehere could help me with. I want to record game play from video games but there is a delay when I play trough the dvr. If there anyway to get rid of the delay? Or if there isn't a way to get rid of the delay then does anybody know where I could buy a device that would let me split the signal from my xbox360 so that I can send one signal to the tv so I could play without the delay and one signal to the dvr for recording?

Thanks for any help you can give me.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to archive some things off my HD Tivo (HR10-250) as I am getting rid of it and am getting a Tivo S3.

I purchased this lovely Polaroid.

OK-Got it working sort of.

I can play a DVD through it, but I don't want to. I want to be able to see what is playing on the Tivo with it.

I have S out of Tivo to S in on Polaroid.

I have composites out from Polaroid to TV

I have a Sony Wega
    I composites by default are Video 2

The Tivo by default is HDMI 6

How on earth do I get 2 to read 6?

What am I missing?

I know it is something stupid & simple I am spacing on.

I tried "Save to VCR" but I must still be missing something on the dvr end