VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have had this Polaroid DRM-2001G unit now for 2 weeks. It is my first stand-alone DVD recorder. I have an engineering education, so I am very cautious of technology in its infancy. After some struggles with the purchase of a reliable PC DVD recorder, I wasnt sure if I wanted to hassel with the purchase of a stand alone machine. I bought the DRM-2001G at Walmart for $219 only because it was cheap and easy to return if it didnt perform. I threw caution to the wind and made the purchase with no research.

All I can say is WOW, was I lucky! This unit rocks (except for the remote problem mentioned above). The user manual packed with the unit was VERY POOR (china-english and poorly organized), but the one that is on the Polaroid web site is a different version and is ok. The documention is this unit's second short-coming (remote is #1). I have dubbed 2 dozen video tapes and in some cases the copy is better than the original. For my many documentary programs I found the EP mode to be very adiquate and getting 4 hours on a disk is very cost effective. The off-air tuner is also very good and sensitivity is better than I have on any other tuner in my home.

This unit is not very feature rich for editing and disk creation, but for $219 it has exceeded my expectation. If I could have a wish list I would wish: 1. for better editing features 2. direct dubbing from DVD to HD 3. better menu flow 4. USB port for portable/external HD storage 5. more than 60 minutes of time-shifting ........and most of all 6. an ethernet port with browser interface (web server) so I can control the unit from the web or PC/home network and access the unit's HD data. This would allow it to have some SLINGBOX type abilities. How cool would that be!!! I am sure Polaroid will eventually introduce a high end model with these features and I will definately buy another unit.

Polaroid, if you are out there, I am an engineer ready to beta test your latest creation !!!!

I will write more later, now I am out to purchase a new IR led for the remote. Maybe I will post step-by-step pictures and proceedure for this upgrade????

Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Group, I am interested it installing another larger HD in my Polaroid DRM-2001G. I hear it is plug and play, however I need some specifics...such as:

1. hard drive format needed?? (fat32, NTFS, or just low level format, etc)

2. interface? (IDE, SATA)

3. set drive as MASTER or cable select?

4. in the thread, someone installed a 200gig, anyone installed a larger drive?

Thanks, Chuck
    Quote Quote  
  3. Look remarkably like the RJ tech and Curtis ones I have and yes they can do wonderful recording.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  4. The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar, WD800 enhanced IDE drive. If you look inside, you can probably see if CS ( cable select ) is set.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks to the detailed information and enthusiasm in this thread, I am weighing the pros/cons of the Polaroid vs. the LG LRH-780 (LG's 80GB model available in Canada).

Could someone please clarify the following:
    1. When recording from a stereo source (ie. NOT the mono tuner ... What WERE they thinking ??), is the audio recorded as AC3 ?? or as the bit-hungry PCM stereo ??

2. vhelp notes that +RW media is recorded in VR mode, while -RW is recorded in Video Mode. I've never run across VR mode with any media other than -RW, and I wonder if +RW discs in VR mode are as problematical as the -RW's, for compatibility with other players, and particularly for transferring to computer via Decrypter for editing with Video Redo.

3. Finally, has anyone found the YES DVD function to be useful ?? Can you opt not to create the 3 "music videos" (which seems like a remarkably tacky feature) ??

Thanks again for the info so far (I only wish someone would do a similar review of the LRH-780 !! ), and for any responses to my queries. My son is visiting Portland, OR this week, so he can pick up the DRM 2001-G tax-free for me, if I decide to pull the trigger.
    Quote Quote  
  6. YESDVD only works when you record from a source other than the HD. Sort of a stupid way to do it. You can turn off YESDVD for Music Videos if you want.

Nice recorder however.
    Quote Quote  
  7. 1. When recording from a stereo source (ie. NOT the mono tuner ... What WERE they thinking ??), is the audio recorded as AC3 ?? or as the bit-hungry PCM stereo ??
    Neither. Here is what PowerDVD reports for an XP mode recording and SP mode recording, respectively,

Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Barnabas
    YESDVD only works when you record from a source other than the HD. Sort of a stupid way to do it. You can turn off YESDVD for Music Videos if you want.

Nice recorder however.
    Does the automatic CHAPTER creator work in the same fashion? I have it set to create chapters every 10 minutes. I did burn from the HD (I thought) and it worked fine on the first try. All future attempts failed. I reset the parameter to 5 minutes and tried again, no go. What am I doing wrong???
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by trhouse
    The hard drive is a Western Digital Caviar, WD800 enhanced IDE drive. If you look inside, you can probably see if CS ( cable select ) is set.
    I've installed two drives now. The first was a 200 gig seagate which worked fine. The second is a WD 250 gig that also works fine. It is truely plug and play. I removed the drives from their packaging and put them in the Polaroid. There was no PC required. The Polaroid formats the drive to the capasity of the installed drive. I've filled the 250 gig drive with no problems. I plan on installing a drive in the 500 gig range soon which I'm sure will also work fine.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by ccat284
    Originally Posted by Barnabas
    YESDVD only works when you record from a source other than the HD. Sort of a stupid way to do it. You can turn off YESDVD for Music Videos if you want.

Nice recorder however.
    Does the automatic CHAPTER creator work in the same fashion? I have it set to create chapters every 10 minutes. I did burn from the HD (I thought) and it worked fine on the first try. All future attempts failed. I reset the parameter to 5 minutes and tried again, no go. What am I doing wrong???
    I have mine set at 20 minute intervals, and that's what it plays back at when burned from the HD. That part seems to work ok from the HD so far.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, trhouse, that's very helpful ... Or at least, it would be if I wasn't so clueless about audio formats. Most of the references to mp2 in the forums appear to indicate that mp2 is not fully compliant with the NTSC standard for DVDs. eg. gshelley61 wrote (in discussing the differences between some LiteOn and ILO models):

Perhaps the Radio Shack product buyers specified Dolby Digital for audio as a requirement since that is the North American DVD standard (along with LPCM). MP2 audio, though it normally will work fine in North American players, is not an official standard here.

I just don't know. Obviously, the Polaroid has many exceptional features for such a low price (LSI encoding chip, component in, upgradeable hard drive, YES DVD), but some of the shortcuts are a concern (mono tuner, mp2 audio, VR mode on +RW media). I thought I could work around the mono tuner by recording the component input from the stereo tuner on an LG non-HDD recorder, but I need a high compatibility with various DVD players for distribution of my family videos, so maybe the Polaroid isn't the machine for me ... But it's such a BARGAIN I hate to pass it up !!
    Any comments on whether mp2 audio or +VR mode are problematical or not ??

Thanks, guys.
    Quote Quote  
  12. At first I was concerned about the mpeg2 as well. However it seems to play fine on all the DVD players in my house.

I almost like the fact that it uses mpeg2 instead of LPCM so it can encode the video at 9Mbs in HQ mode.

If I distribute a disc and someone has a problem I'l just reencode the disc with AC3 instead.
    Quote Quote  
  13. I seem to have an issue with the audio level out of the optical digial out's being low. Playing a DVD it's fine, but the audio from the tuner is low by what seems to be at least 6-10DB. The volume is set to max from the remote.

Anyone else see this ?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Well.. i purchased a unit and i am giving it a test run here..

here's the Con's right off the bat
    1. the Mono Tuner Of Course
    2.Cannot hook up to TV thru RF Coax Output on device
    i tried just hooking cable coax to input and output to tv thru coax..you have to output via s-video,composite or component to be able to see the pvr.. i called customer service and confirmed this
    3.timer display icon will not turn off. that's a real pain
    4.No Visual recording light on Unit (it would be nice to know walking by if the unit is recording.. when you turn the unit off a little red LED comes on..now that's backwards...)
    5.Unable to rename channels? it shows in the manual that you can..but i was not able to..was anyone able to do this..for example in the setup edit a channel where name is ch003 and rename to NBC ?
    6. Cannot stop program on hard drive and start program where show was stopped..show starts from beginning
    7.Cannot turn off or suspend unit without stopping recording.
    8.Screen shows 80:02:20 when recording at 8pm..>??? that display is confusing as all get out.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can someone please explain how to do the segments to cut out commercials. My book shows something different than what's on the screen, or I'm screwing something up! ...Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  16. Once you have selected segment, the video will start to play. Use the right and left keys (on each side of the OK button on the remote) to advance or reverse the video displayed. When you find where you want to cut, press "OK" to make the first "mark" press "OK" again for the 2nd mark and so on. You can use "pause" if you need to.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Chuck (ccat284), you wrote: "I am out to purchase a new IR led for the remote."

What does this mean? I find the remote control for the DRM-2001G to be just plain crappy. I am looking to fix this problem, and wondered if you knew (or anyone) knows how to do it.

Thanks!
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by KTH
    I just picked up one of these units from my Local Wal Mart. This one has a February 2006 manufacture date and yes it does or should I say DID have the limited remote control range problem. I repaired the problem by taking apart the remote control and replacing the Infrared LED with one I purchased from Radio Shack (Cat. #276-143). It cost me $2.28 with tax (pretty cheap fix). The range now is excellent. In fact it's probably better than any other of my remotes for other devices. I can even put the unit behind my back and face the remote to the wall in back of me and it will still work. Please note before trying this that this mod will require soldering and desoldering of the LED and that LED's do have a polarity to them so make sure to solder them in correctly.
    Works like a charm now!
    Quote Quote  
  19. Hey Barnabas or KTH!!

You said you "picked up one of these units from my local Wal Mart." Were you talking about the DVD Recorder, or did you go and buy a new remote of some type and then installed a Radio Shack LED?

In other words, did you just take the remote that came with the recorder, and replace the LED with the one you got from Radio Shack? Or did you purchase something else besides the new LED?

Thanks!!!
    Chris
    Quote Quote  
  20. christopheramos,

I bought the DVD recorder at Walmart, took it's remote apart, unsoldered the old LED and replaced it with the new one.

No screws at all to hold the remote together, so just pry it apart.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Hello again Barnabas (or anyone else!)

I found that I'm having a very basic problem: I can't seem to set this unit up.

I am trying to output my satelite receiver to the unit, then output the unit to my TV. I have a big screen TV, and it only has a coax input in the back.

I read another post on here that you cannot connect the unit to your TV using a coax cable, but you have to use a S-VHS or composite or cables or whatever.

If that's true, why on Earth does the unit have a coax out?

In light of that fact, I am unable to setup my unit. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Quote Quote  
  22. I don't think it has RF output, so you will need to pick up an RF Modulator to connect it to your TV.

My old Sony 72" TV was like that, only RF connections. I used to run the Satellite TV into it from my VCR.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Okay, thanks Barnabas!!! I will look for a RF Modulator!!!!

Regards (and thanks again)!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Hello again everyone,

I still can't set up this DVD recorder. I ran my satelite receiver into the recorder, and then out to the TV. Since my TV only has a cable input in the back, I used a RF Modulator (as Barnabas suggested). This still didn't work.

The satelite image feeds through the recorder just fine, and I can see the channels on my TV. But no matter what I do, I can't get the recorder's setup menu to appear. I make sure that I am about 1 foot away from the recorder, so that the crappy remote works. But nothing. Nothing will bring up the menu.

By the way, the instruction manual that came with this unit (and the one I downloaded from the Polaroid website) sucks.

Any ideas? I don't know if this unit is broken or not. Or if I am just doing something wrong.

Thanks so much!!!

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    When power to the DRM-2001G is turned off, is the signal still passed through (RCA to RCA or, better for me, S-Video to RCA)? I would want to normally have power to the DVDR turned off but if the signal isn't passed through when it is off, I can't do that.

If you have the unit set to view S-Video input (not recording), turn power off, then turn it back on, are you still looking at the S-Video input or has the unit defaulted to showing the disc (or a "no disc" message)?

Does it have a OTR (one-touch record) mode for 30, 60, 90, etc. minutes? What is maximum length? Does unit stay on or power off after OTR recording?

Can you tell me the exact width of the unit? Specs seem to be missing on that point.

Thanks!

Guy
    Quote Quote  
  26. Hey Guy!

Well, here are the specs per the documentation:

Size: 430mmX48mmX308mm (beats me as to how many inches that equals). Additional features are:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________
    YesDVD software creates DVDs at the touch of a button
    TVGuardian® Foul Language Filtering Technology (activation and fee required)
    Built-in 80G hard disk
    Real-time recording using DVD+/-RW, DVD+R recordable discs, and dual format
    DVD+R/RW-R/RW
    Record in different quality and length (HQ, SP, LP, EP, SLP)
    Easy one-touch recording with auto index creation
    Easy editing on recorded video content
    Dual media format
    Simultaneous DVD playback and record movie in hard disk
    Live video time shifting allows for pause, forward and rewind on live video
    Plays DVD, DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, VCD, SVCD
    Plays music CDs, CD-R/RW, WMA compatible
    JPEG image compatible
    Progressive scan video output
    Front panel VFD display
    Front and rear A/V inputs
    Rear S-video inputs
    IEEE-1394 front input
    __________________________________________________ ____________________________

I'll try to answer your other questions:

1. When power to the DRM-2001G is turned off, is the signal still passed through
    Yes. When the unit is on or off, I still get a satellite signal just as if the satellite receiver was connected directly to the TV.

2. If you have the unit set to view S-Video input (not recording), turn power off, then turn it back on, are you still looking at the S-Video input or has the unit defaulted to showing the disc (or a "no disc" message)?
    You see, I find the whole display screen goofy. When I turn on the unit, I can switch between settings by pushing the input button. But the way the settings read on the display, I can't even tell what they mean! So I have no idea what input I actually have when I push the input button. However, I have tried this: I would try all of the different input settings, then hit the menu button. Not matter the setting, no menu pops up.

3. Does it have a OTR (one-touch record) mode for 30, 60, 90, etc. minutes? What is maximum length? Does unit stay on or power off after OTR recording?
    It does have an OTR button. (HQ=1 hour, SP=2 hours, LP=3 hours, EP=4 hours, SLP=6 hours). I've never been able to record anything yet, or tried to, since I couldn't ever get a menu.

Don't know if any of this helps. But I sure am stumped!!!

Thanks so much!

Chris
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    12x17 and 2 inches deep...

Input is...
    SV (looks like S-U) is rear S-video
    FC is Front composite
    rC is Rear composite
    Yu is Rear component

I'm still trying to figure out how I know if I made a segment cut and if I can delete the cut if I actually did...

One more thing...when I'm watching a channel it says 3 liue (3 live means channel 3)...also when I turn it off and then power on, the last channel I was watching comes back on...
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Low audio issues with DRM-2001G

Hi,

I bought a DRM-2001G and almost everything about is fine, except the audio level is really low. I have volume turned up to 20 (max), but it doesn’t seem to help.

Is their a cure?

thanks
    Quote Quote  
  29. No low audio here. Do you have the audio on the remote turned down perhaps?
    Quote Quote  
  30. I just bought one, I don't see a digital audio input , does it mean if I record from external source using componant my audio will be what? What if my source is dolby digital?
    Quote Quote