VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search PM
    This is a cheap unit that a friend gave me as a gift about a year ago but I think it has died (?).

My title says it all --
    After watching a movie a few days ago, I did the following:
    Ejected tray
    Removed movie
    Replaced with next movie to watch
    . . . and then, right around this point
    I hit the OPEN/CLOSE button on the remote to close the tray and watch movie #2.

The screen switched to black & white and (what was the blue "screensaver" title page) is now scrolling furiously.

I've unplugged the unit from the way.
    I've tried various buttons to reset it.
    I've unplugged the S-Video cable.

I just want to know for certain it's dead before I proceed to buy another player.

MC
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Black and white of a sudden and scrolling sounds like PAL movie playing in a NTSC player. I would try other movies before certifying it's dead.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You may have changed a setting by mistake, either through a menu or a physical switch, telling the player to output PAL for all material. Otherwise the screen saver should have been normal. If it switched to PAL automagically when a PAL disc was inserted, perhaps playing an NTSC disc will set things to right ?
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Had a similar experience with an Apex 2600: It had switched itself from S-VHS output to RCA composite. Connect it with the opposite output and see if you get a signal. If so, switch the output in the menu - assuming it's not in PAL mode as earlier.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by classfour
    Had a similar experience with an Apex 2600: It had switched itself from S-VHS output to RCA composite. Connect it with the opposite output and see if you get a signal. If so, switch the output in the menu - assuming it's not in PAL mode as earlier.
    Hi guys, wow thank you for all this advice! classfour and guns1inger . . .

I tried inserting an NTSC movie, but it just keeps scrolling.

When you say "Connect it with the opposite output ~" I'm afraid I don't know what that means.

Could you be (very, lol) specific please? And please be aware, I can't grab anything because of the hyper scrolling. If there is something I can do with my TV setting, please let me know? Thanks guys!

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    40 minutes later . . .

Well I just learned something (not that it's going to make a damn bit of difference lol): This issue is definitely related in some way shape or form to the cable I'm using — namely, the little S-Video cable.

I just did an experiment by (turning off both TV and player and then) unplugging both ends of the S-Video cable, and connecting the player to my TV with the original coaxial cable. It didn't bring my picture back; but it changed the appearance of the garbage it was dumping from hyper scrolling to a (rather attractive lol) black and white herringbone pattern. Alas, I'm not fitting a suit; I'm trying to watch a movie. :P

Now, I've got another DVD player that I got free that never worked (brand new, sealed box) from the get go and while I hope for further replies to this thread I'll hunt down repair strategies for that model (an APEX AD-1165, no thanks to Viking office supplies who unloaded it on me tsk). The problem with that unit is (if I remember correctly) the tray won't stay closed.

So I'll do some more sleuthing. I now have three non-functioning DVD players (count a Cyberhome CH-300).

MC
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I notice you found the Desay website, such as it is. If you search through (manually) the subsequent pages you may find other tips like this

Player is fine, reads everything. I hope Desay has tech support for firmware upgrade in the future.

If you have an NTSC TV, make sure you do the following:
    1. Press Setup on remote.
    2. Go under Preferences -> TV Mode
    3. Make sure the mode is on NTSC!! (The default mode/factory setting for the DVD player is Multi. This will cause the scrolling black and white picture on some VCDs and PAL DVDs!!!)
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote