VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Baldrick / Mods,

I have software (EndItAll2) that came free with a magazine many years ago. Someone has posted a thread and the software I have is what they're after - even though it's no longer freely available.

Two questions:

1) Can I make the ZIP file I have available and not violate the site's AUP?

2) Do I upload ZIP files just the same as images?

Thanks.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Why do you bring us such complicated questions?

The problem is with the copyright permissions that the author gave. Even though it was free to the magazine subscribers or purchasers, you would need to know if he released it to the general public or it was just limited to the subscribers or purchasers of the magazine at that time.

I realize it's a fine point, but that's the way the law works and generally reflects our copyright rules. If it's not freely available with a simple Google search on well known public sites, it's likely not in the public domain. On doing a search, I see they refer to The PC mag article and the PC mag article no longer has a link to the program. Long story, short. I would not post a link to a privately owned version of that program on our site, nor would I post that program on a site I had control of, to avoid legal problems. It was apparently a time limited offer for that program, specifically for the users of that magazine, to a link or program which no longer exists.

Sorry, I'm not an attorney, and this is just my opinion. I would direct the OP to the apparent successor to the program as mentioned in PC Mag: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1895,1853852,00.asp They likely have a reason, legal or otherwise to offer the alternative.

But it's good you're thinking about this. It protects our site and further protects you in the off chance that someone might take offense to your links.

Maybe a 'attorney type' can correct all this, but this is my read: Don't stick your neck out.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @ redwudz: Cheers for all the info and obvious thought that went into your reply.

I've had a closer read of the (pretty lengthy) license details that are in the ZIP file and it doesn't sound like I can make it available. So I shan't.
    There is some corner of a foreign field that is forever England: Telstra Stadium, Sydney, 22/11/2003.

Carpe diem.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much room.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The terms & conditions for using freeware/shareware are normally made clear in the readme file. As a rule a file can only be copied if it includes all the warning notices that came with the original. Most authors have no problem with redistribution provided this is done.
    Quote Quote