doesn't gspot show vbr info?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If you get an error in Virtualdub then it should give you a clue that VBR AUDIO DOES NOT BELONG IN AVI.
    If VBR AUDIO DOES NOT BELONG IN AVI, then why do you want to put it in so bad, just because all the videos that you download off file sharing networks have it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    drewzor still hasn't said they are using avi as a container. They asked how to identify VBR audio in an avi container and how to compress VBR mp3 audio to go with XviD video. No container was mentioned. VBR isn't an issue for mkv or mp4.

For a PCM wav you don't need anything special. lame.exe will do the job just fine. lame.exe -V 5 --vbr-new input.wav output.mp3
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its so that i can cut down a 500mb wav track to 30mb vbr mp3 rather then 79mb cbr? DOES THAT MAKE SENSE TO YOU?
    No it doesn't. Why would you want to corrupt the integrity of the file by trying to save a few measily megabites? XviD with 128kbps CBR Stereo MP3 works just fine for most people.
    I can only think of two reason why someone might use VBR and that is to try and make it as small as they can to get it on the internet or to make it fit on a CD. In the second case, I would get a DVD burner (if you don't already have one) and make larger better quality files and burn them as data DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    drewzor still hasn't said they are using avi as a container.
    I guess I shouldn't assume but using Virtualdub and XviD in the same paragragh raises the suspiscion that it is.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Microsoft mp4? mp4 has got nothing to do with Microsoft and I don't think they even offer any mp4 tools. Certainly wmp can't handle mp4's without a 3rd party splitter.

If you care about space and are using mp4 as a container. Then my advice would be to not use mp3 audio at all. Use aac instead. Although at bitrates >= 128 it makes no real difference (if using a recent lame build with a -V preset). Anything bellow that though, a decent aac encoder such as Nero's free encoder will give better quality than mp3.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 is an arbitrary file extension. mpeg4 is a method of encoding. Microsoft's Window Media Video 9 is based on mpeg4 compression, as is Divx and Xvid.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    mp4 isn't an arbitary file extension, it is the offical and only (Apple made up m4a and borrowed m4v) extension for mp4, the offical MPEG-4 container format.

MS MPEG-4 V3 (aka DivX 3.11alpha) has nothing to do with mp4 and isn't even MPEG-4 compliant. You shouldn't be using it at all these days since there are way better alternatives. If you do use it, then you should be doing it via say NanDub or ffdshow. Sounds like you are probably using avi after all.

I'd suggest that you switch to XviD or DivX.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Done
    Quote Quote