VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

A while back I purchased a RadioShack USB pocket recorder. The model I believe is DS-97 or something similiar. Anyway I went to use this to record a lecture in one of my college classes this summer and it recorded everything fine. However when I went to copy the audio files from the pocket recorder to my PC I noticed that they are in a *.CVS file format and can only be played in the radio shack software.

I REALLY need to convert these to MP3 to listen to them in my car while driving back and forth to work before next week's class. I've scoured the internet in hopes of trying to find SOMEWAY to convert this to MP3/WAV or anyway I can put it on CD.

Does anyone have any advice for this crappy .CVS format?!?!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Does it play if you drag one of the .cvs files into, say, Media Player Classic, mplayer, or VLC?

At worst, if you're able to play the files in a program on your PC, you can use a sound editor like Audacity to record the audio while you're playing it.
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for that information. When I tried using Media Player Classic it gives me the error "Cannot render the file"

When I try using VLC I get no specific error message, but VLC opens the file. But when I push play, it doesn't play the file at all.

Finally with mPlayer, again no errors but nothing happens.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Probably a long shot, but you might try MediaCoder, it handles quite a few formats.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately that software didn't help any either. I'm assuming there is no documentation anywhere of anytype of why RadioShack used .CVS as a proprietary format?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Radio Shack probably didn't build it, it may come from a Chinese manufacturer. Why they used that format, I have no idea. I did a Google search and came up with this: http://sox.sourceforge.net/ There looks to be a Windows version near the bottom of the page.

It's a command line interface, but there seems to be a audio program GUI that uses the command line program at: http://studio.sourceforge.net/ , which may be a little easier to use. Let us know if it works.

If it's the same format, those programs may work for you. CVS apparently stands for 'Continuous Variable Slope'.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Unfortunately that program didn't help. The output from SoX was a constant gushing sound with none of the lecture on there. I did sox.exe -S infile.cvs outfile.wav
    Quote Quote  
  8. For anyone who has a RadioShack pocket recorder... OR anyone who has .CVS files that they need converted, go here to the RadioShack page and get the software/drivers/convert.

http://support.radioshack.com/soft.htm

I found it late last night.
    Quote Quote