VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an odd, or maybe not so odd...I don't know, PAL to NTSC question.

I'd like to convert a PAL disc to NTSC and keep all the audio tracks (DTS, DD, and PCM) as is. I don't care about the video, it can be thrown out...it's kind of like a concert disc.

What's the best way to do that?

Thanks! 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you just want the audio to make mp3 or audio cds out of?

Then you shouldn't have to do any conversion at all. I would imagine all you need to do is to rip the audio out with dvd decrypter (stream processing) and you'll get the audio files that way. Then you can use besweet to convert the ac3 and wav to mp3. I'm not sure what programs tackle dts, you may have to get payware to handle dts files.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm, I don't want to convert the audio at all. I'm wondering if I can make a DVD w/ just the audio on it? For CDs, I'd have to convert to 16-bit, 44.1 KHz WAVs, no?
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Convert the video to 720x480, 25 fps, progressive MPEG2 then use DGPulldown to add 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags. Author with the original audio and you're done.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Convert the video to 720x480, 25 fps, progressive MPEG2 then use DGPulldown to add 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags. Author with the original audio and you're done.
    I'm not used to converting video...just ripping w/ dvdd/dvdfabd and burning to d/l dvd+r or splitting w/ vobblanker, etc. and burning to dvd+r...what should I use? And then to author the DVD?

In the meantime I'll check the guides here...

Thanks! 8)
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by redsandvb
    I have an odd, or maybe not so odd...I don't know, PAL to NTSC question.

I'd like to convert a PAL disc to NTSC and keep all the audio tracks (DTS, DD, and PCM) as is. I don't care about the video, it can be thrown out...think concert disc.

What's the best way to do that?

Thanks! 8)
    So basically you want this to play in your DVD player....but with audio only?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54
    So basically you want this to play in your DVD player....but with audio only?
    Yes. Well, I wouldn't mind video, but just plain black screen will do. I don't mean that the video must be eliminated, I just figured that not processing it would be easiest.

BTW, I'd like to keep the chapters/track numbers for the different songs.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Convert the video to 720x480, 25 fps, progressive MPEG2 then use DGPulldown to add 3:2:3:2:2 pulldown flags. Author with the original audio and you're done.
    Still unsure how to go about doing this. Can someone clue me in?

Thanks 8)

EDIT: Or at least point me to the right guides that'll teach me.
    Quote Quote  
  9. jagabo answered you. Try his method. Otherwise, rip the audio only and author a DVD with a still black frame. When you get chapter info from DVD decrypter, use the Spruce template for chapter times (instead of using IFOedit for frames).

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by dphirschler
    jagabo answered you. Try his method. Otherwise, rip the audio only and author a DVD with a still black frame. When you get chapter info from DVD decrypter, use the Spruce template for chapter times (instead of using IFOedit for frames).

Darryl
    Right, but as I mentioned above, I'm not used to converting video...or audio from DVD for that matter. Just ripping to ISO or sometimes in File Mode. I take it I need to rip in File Mode w/ DVDD or DVDFABD, then what do I use to convert the video (from VOB, I'm guessing) to 720x480, 25 fps, progressive MPEG2? That's what's completely new to me...

EDIT: Actually, so is authoring a DVD from scratch or source audio and video files...

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  11. You need an MPEG encoder. You can get a free trial of TMPGEnc Plus that will work for a few weeks. There are many guides for TMPGEnc in the guides section:

https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?tools=278&madeby=&formatconversionselect=&howtosel...or+List+Guides

There are lots of other MPEG encoders and guides too:

https://www.videohelp.com/guides.php?tools=&madeby=&formatconversionselect=to+MPG&howto...or+List+Guides

If you you don't have some DVD mastering software you will have to get some. If you have some but it doesn't allow you to open separate audio and video files then may want to use something like bbmpeg to mux (you can convert with this too) the audio and video together (TMPGEnc only muxes MP2 audio).
    Quote Quote  
  12. If you can rip it in file mode, then you can load the VOBs in dgIndex. Then save the project (with audio). I think you can save a step by ripping in IFO mode in DVD Decrypter and set it to save the ac3 file for you. Also set it to save the chapter indexes (this is where you set the Spruce template). ChapterXtractor also gives you chapter stops in time.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you guys. I will check out those guides and try your suggestions. Never used DVDD in IFO mode before, hope it's not too hard to figure out.

Thanks again!
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm getting a bit confused. Do I want to enable stream processing in DVDD? Is the answer Yes for audio and No for video?

Thanks!
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Arghhhhhhh, this is my pet hate question, ok:-

1: Get a cheap chinese dvd player that will convert the pal disc to ntsc so you can watch it/play the audio on your TV.

2: See if the IFO edit method will work,

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?t=221928

3: Rip the audio using de-crypetr or some such software and make a cd using windows movie maker or other similiar simple software.
    PAL/NTSC problem solver.
    USED TO BE A UK Equipment owner., NOW FINISHED WITH VHS CONVERSIONS-THANKS
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by redsandvb
    I'm getting a bit confused. Do I want to enable stream processing in DVDD? Is the answer Yes for audio and No for video?

Thanks!
    Found out that I need to select 'demux' for each stream to get separate dts, ac3, etc. files. Was just getting an m2v and vob before.

Now I need to figure out the rest with the help given so far...
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Does DVDauthorgui not let you add dts or pcm audio? I can't, or at least can't figure out how.

What does?

I want to add ac3, dts, and 2-channel pcm audio.

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  18. Muxman (freeware) accepts AC3, DTS, and PCM audio.

I don't know whether or not DVDAuthorGUI accepts anything besides AC3, as I've never tried.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks! I'll give it a try.
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, so muxman worked. Gave me almost what I wanted. Audio and video tracks are ok, but how do I insert chapters now? Is it possible to do that now, or must it be done before/while authoring? Couldn't figure out how to do it in muxman, don't even know if it can. I think I know how to do it in dvdauthorgui w/ the help of chapter xtractor, but I couldn't load the vobs muxman made.

Any more tips?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  21. You add chapter while authoring.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    How do I do that in muxman? Or can I do that somehow first, then use muxman and get the chapters right?
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Doh! Didn't check the file menu. Next question, what format do I use for chapters in muxman?

Thanks
    Put NBC's Ed on Blu-ray!
    Quote Quote  
  24. Muxman uses 29.97fps frame numbers in a Celltimes.txt file.

Do you have chapters in any format at all?

If you have them in the original PAL 25fps frame numbers, to convert to NTSC 29.97fps frame numbers, multiply each one by 1.1988 (29.97/25=1.1988). If you have them by time (00:58:37.123, for example), convert to seconds and multiply by 29.97. They may wind up being off by a very little bit, as chapters can only be set on I-Frames. I'm assuming you used the DGPulldown method as suggested above.
    Quote Quote  
  25. When you ripped the stream, set DVD Decrypter to give you the IFOedit-format chapter times. It will be in PAL frames. Then you can use the above calculation to convert it to NTSC frame number.

Darryl
    Quote Quote  
  26. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks guys. I do have the ifoedit chapter info from dvdd. I'll do the conversions and see what I get.

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks to everyone who helped!. I got what I want, an NTSC dvd with all 3 audio tracks, including the chapters.

Now I'm wondering if I can dress it up a bit and add a menu in the beginning that lets you select each chapter. And maybe even one before that, that lets you select the type of audio... I found this guide using dvd-lab pro. Are there any other suggestions?

Thanks again!
    Quote Quote