VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is my first topic/post on videohelp, so greetings to all This is probably a long post for many, so thanks for reading in advance.

Well, the topic says what I'm aiming to do, so please post what you can even if it seems insignificant. The smallest bit of info can go a long way

I have a DVD quality source with no audio whatsoever, and a mpg with the audio I need(captured by Media Center). I also have a good quality source of the audio, but it's only part of what I need in the vid.

What I'm looking for:
    A tool to identify the delay in mpg files by ms
    A tool to identify delays in avi files by ms
    Better tools than what I'm using

What I've done so far:
    Encoded both the nice vid source and mpg to match by keyframe
    The result from the mpg is an avi with wav audio
    Created audio files that are resynched to the vid nicely based on keyframes, but those required my mpg to have no delays whatsoever.

What I need to know:
    Does muxing create delays?
    Would BeSweet create delays? Because of transcodes I guess
    VirtualDub seems to create silence when muxing files with a user set delay... will timing be off when I demux audio streams from the resulting file?
    What's a good way to set anamorphic ratio in avi and mp4?
    My encoder sets something for avi and is played fine in one of my players... not MPC though...
    MP4Box muxes my file and plays fine in the said player... but not in MPC. CoreAVC gets the AR right... but scales down the opposite of what I want scaled up :\ Nero will ignore AR entirely... FFdshow is a nah for me.
    (ex: scales down height, want width scaled up -> never happened, but something like 720x480 scaled to 720x405 instead of ~853x480)
    I guess the anamorphic problem is more decoder related... I just was hoping someone knows a good remedy ;P

What's left to do:
    Resync maybe, based on any replies
    Append/insert portions of the result vid with another, can't do this without reliable audio synch
    Maybe encode the result into wmv so others in general can judge the sync... not unless you guys are willing to look at xvid clips

My results will be dual audio XviD + 128kbps MP3
    and dual audio x264 + 64kbps AAC

Tools I prob want to change
    Nero Wave Editor, I use this to insert the partial audio into the full length one. My edits are by ms. I'll change if anybody recommends a better one
    MP4Box for AR reasons I guess.
    I tried Yet Another Avi Info and others, but found them inaccurate

Extra info:
    Vid is only 4:55
    Will share the result if anybody wants it
    It will probably be about 90MB for XviD, and 60MB for x264.
    The video is pure CGI.

That's about all I can think of for now, thanks again for reading and for your time.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sync problems are a pain in the a$$. If the sync is a constant amount of time (example: 1 second too fast or too slow), then you can usually correct it by adding/removing time from the audio file. If the sync is variable, I don't even mess with it. I've never been able to correct this type of error.

For audio, I use Goldwave based on recommendations from other users here. It is a very handy tool with many features.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the reply.
    I got the audio synched nicely thanks to keyframes and looking at the audio samples in Nero. Was a pain but I guess it was worth it. There's a bit of hiss/noise in my audio though, but I'm sure at least Nero can fix that. I've had a look at the comments for GoldWave on this site so I'll give it a try. Seems they liked how it handled noise problems. Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yep GoldWave left me quite impressed. The timecodes of the samples go down to the microsecond compared to Nero's millisecond. The noise reduction filters are also better. I had Adobe Audition and Sound Forge in mind to try, but I doubt there's much or anything they could top compared to GoldWave. Thanks again for the tip

About the variable audio sync problem, I guess all I can say is good luck to us all. BeLight has settings to encode audio by framerate(not referring to sample rate), so I guess that might be of help to you. Haven't had much experience with it, but I'd say there's a nice way to fix certain situations. If you want, please send me an example or give me a method of creating the problem. You've got me interested now so I'll try to help if I can ;P
    Quote Quote