VideoHelp Forum
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. http://australianit.news.com.au/articles/0,7204,19670853%5E15306%5E%5Enbv%5E,00.html

Say goodbye to at least part of the crap they tried to implement. Users didn't like it one bit.

Search Comp PM
    "In Australia".

Curiously, I've never been asked to enter my license number when activating Windows after a re-install.

3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    It is easy enough to get rid of ... and as for update's ... they can be grabbed from other places about the web ... even another pc that has been registered ... too bloody simple .

The biggest headache ms has to be concerned with is by leaving legitamate os customer's out of the update loop ... provide's many pc's vulnerable to attack's through various trick's ... allowing hacker's to redevelope tool's designed to hack patched xp system's .

The unfairness of it all is ms expect's the end user to actually read and understand the included license ... which many dont .

How many people understand the contract with their phone company in any great detail ... about 3 ... them , me , then god .... ok , maybe a few more than that .

They should have just given the whole idea up , and include a proper reg system in the next os which is fairer on the end user instead of drowning them in ms's own stupidity and bs .

--------------------------

Much confusion is also caused by other major computer companies that provide the os on a hidden partition or as "reged backup set" ... dell being one culprit , acer another ... it's a temporary license ... until pc blow's up .

Most user's dont even understand how this work's ... if pc stuff's up ... easy fix ... if motherboard stuff's up beyond warrantee period , and exact replacement can not be located ... your out of luck and out of pocket .

Then the utter rudeness of what ms want's to charge a user to get hold of a legit license ... it's twice what I can get them for ... and with the disc .

Next is legitamate right's ... if my old pc is destroyed for what ever reason ... I should beable to build a new pc and load the pre-existing os on it ... or if I buy the next os , and remove the old ... I should have the right to sell the old os .

Imagine a world where car manufacturer's were to follow ms madness ... they'd be richer ... no trade in's or trade up's ... junk the old ... force you to buy new ... spare part's are rare ...

If everybody followed ms's way of doing thing's ... then you would need 1 license to drive a ford , another for holden , another for auto , another for manual ... the world gone mad fast .

And to have a laugh ... I though a yardis was another yard machine , like a lawnmower ... till I saw the add on tv ... well bugger me ... it's a car ? ... I crack myself up sometime's .

Or just black list ms and all go linux ... or buy a bullet ... it'd be cheaper .

Well , them's my thought's and not that of other's ...

Yes .. I am a funny bugger at time's ... back to the serious stuff now ... more guide's .

Ps : Cheerup ... the world hasnt gone this far ... yet ... I got my bullet on layby , only 14 more payments to go ... lmgo

Search Comp PM
    this is more computer related - moving
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)

5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This is a tough one. I understand Microsoft's desire to protect their intellectual property. But the thing that worries me is that all of this is causing many users out of fear or frustration to disable updates, which can create a breeding ground for malware. Most of the updates are security updates that are intended to remove vulnerabilities to malware exploits. Every unprotected PC is a breeding place for malware. A side effect of Microsoft's increasing emphasis on protecting their IP is an increased likelihood of more PCs serving as inadvertent malware incubators.

Search Comp PM
    Wss a Foolish idea from the get go, This like trying to stop the sale of alcohol in the country.
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!

7. One fine day WGA installed automatically on my machine. A lot of people got pissed, the more I read about it the more I thought the alarmists might be right. So I did a system restore (to pre-WGA) and turned off automatic updates, and I'm not alone, as SCDVD says.

But there's always Windiz Update, here:

http://windizupdate.com/

It's excessive for it (WGA) to call home every goddam time you boot up (or is it every day?), and the sneaky, not to say dishonest way it was characterised and implemented....Stupid.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!

Search Comp PM
    The same thing goes for Microshaft - that was said to the music, or movie, industry rep by a government rep.

It may be your software, but it is not your computer.

(When, oh when, will they learn this important lesson?)
    Whatever doesn't kill me, merely ticks me off. (Never again a Sony consumer.)

9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I did not like the fact that I was sending unknown stuff to MS every time my PC was rebooted. So I got a firewall and blocked all communication from and to my PC.

It took me the whole weekend, but I think I managed to open the things that I use most of the time.

The only gap is that I now I need to run Windows update once a week manually, but this is something I prefer to live with.

10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    While the implementation of this is deplorable I don't see anything wrong with the OS checking in periodically or even daily. Several components installed on my network do this on a daily basis anyways so why can't my OS?

11. Originally Posted by ROF
    While the implementation of this is deplorable I don't see anything wrong with the OS checking in periodically or even daily. Several components installed on my network do this on a daily basis anyways so why can't my OS?

Not everyone is a crook. If you bought your version and it has been approved, there is no need for rechecks.

Please quit with the big brother routine. I do not need someone constantly watching over me.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.

12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Unless you are King of the Universe or something you will always have somebody watching over you.

Paranoia can kill. Just accept this.

I still laugh at people who will eagerly hand over their credit card to a waiter who barely speaks the native language but are afraid to fill out a grocery store savings card application because the produce manager might want their phone number.

Search Comp PM
    Don't be a jerk! That waiter happens to be a good friend of mine.
    And besides, he's only doing it until his acting career kicks in.

ROF, I don't think that he believes that no one is watching, just that he doesn't want you pretending you're Bill Gates (as if you'd be so charitable).

14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2

Please quit with the big brother routine. I do not need someone constantly watching over me.
    Funny. It sounds to me like someone thinks someone might not want someone watching over them. When in fact, there are alot of people watching over them. All day, everyday our information about our addresses our phone numbers, our social security numbers, our credit information and so on is being passed back and forth amongst hundreds upon thousands of people and machines. Has this person filled out any forms anywhere that contain personal identifying information? Does this person use an active / up-to-date anti-virus program?

Also that waiter friend of yours who is waiting for his acting career to kick in has collected so many credit card numbers and information he has already started his own side business.

15. Originally Posted by ROF
    Funny. It sounds to me like someone thinks someone might not want someone watching over them. When in fact, there are alot of people watching over them. All day, everyday our information about our addresses our phone numbers, our social security numbers, our credit information and so on is being passed back and forth amongst hundreds upon thousands of people and machines. Has this person filled out any forms anywhere that contain personal identifying information? Does this person use an active / up-to-date anti-virus program?

Also that waiter friend of yours who is waiting for his acting career to kick in has collected so many credit card numbers and information he has already started his own side business.
    The point I was trying to make is that you come off as heavy-handed. I too am a content creator, but my content is poems. I attach no value to my poems, because they are silly. I do not suffer from the everyone is guilty and throw them in jail mentality that the industry is afflicted with and you support.

My point was also that if you bought something, you should not be subject to rechecks. The car dealership does not come back to you three years after you bought the car from them and ask you if you bought the car. This illustration was intended solely to point out how ridiculous your statement about operating system checks are.

If you treat honest people like criminals, they will react like criminals.

16. Banned
    Search Comp PM

If you treat honest people like criminals, they will react like criminals.
    You realize every day you are treated like a criminal. Ever walk into a bank? How about a grocery store? Guess what? Big Brother is watching you with both eyes and cameras because they assume you are a thief.

17. Originally Posted by ROF
    because they assume you are a thief.
    You know what happens when you assume.

Lets just throw everyone in the world in jail, including you.

Do you see anything wrong with this line of thinking?

18. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

So far I do not see any problem with the bank assuming I am a thief. Same with the grocery store. Neither has bothered me with their spying on my grocery shopping or banking habits. Why should Microsoft assuming I am a thief bother me any more then these other people? Their WGA checks whether once, daily, or hourly does not effect me anymore than when I walk into a bank to make a withdrawl or deposit and the bank cameras are checking my every action.

The wrong line of thinking is that you do not have someone constantly watching over me.

19. Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by ROF

So far I do not see any problem with the bank assuming I am a thief. Same with the grocery store. Neither has bothered me with their spying on my grocery shopping or banking habits. Why should Microsoft assuming I am a thief bother me any more then these other people? Their WGA checks whether once, daily, or hourly does not effect me anymore than when I walk into a bank to make a withdrawl or deposit and the bank cameras are checking my every action.

The wrong line of thinking is that you do not have someone constantly watching over me.
    You bore me with your constant draconian ways of thinking.

Personally, I do not care for people "assuming" I am a thief.

What happened to innocent until proven guilty? You are saying that it is reversed, and that you are guilty until proven inncent.

That is not the way that the justice system works.

Search Comp PM
    The bank analogy is completely wrong.

The bank is treating you like a thief. They have security measures in place in case someone steals. They don't follow you home or call you every day and ask you if that money you withdrew is yours. Plus, the bank personnel sure act friendly towards thieves. MS, on their checks, is more like roofies induced rape.

Like the bank, MS can do all the spying they want at the time of the transaction (registration). Once that's done, they should pretty much stay out of my life unless I contact them.

21. Originally Posted by ROF
    The wrong line of thinking is that you do not have someone constantly watching over me
    I suppose if you live China, Cuba or the former Soviet Union, this type of behavior is o.k., However not in America!
    :P

1. Your analogies do not work because of one important issue - Microsoft never informed the user that Windows was going to phone home. Stores have to tell you you are being video taped, let alone recording audio. If they capture sound without your consent - they are breaking the law.

2. The other problem with the Microsoft program was it was telling people with legit versions that their version was illegal.

3. Microsoft was also capturing more information than simply the license number of your OS. They were gathering information about your system. This extra information is NOT needed to determine if a user is using a legal or illegal copy.

4. According to the laws in Washington State, this program is considered spyware and thus illegal.

Can we stop defending federal criminals, i.e., Microsoft.

22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    This guy reminds me of a drug dealer with a "Support Your Local Police" bumper sticker on one side and a "Just Say No" sticker on the other side. Just ignore him, he gets some sort of vicarious kick out of the attention he stirs up - Don't give it to him.

23. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SCDVD
    This guy reminds me of a drug dealer with a "Support Your Local Police" bumper sticker on one side and a "Just Say No" sticker on the other side. Just ignore him, he gets some sort of vicarious kick out of the attention he stirs up - Don't give it to him.
    Can't agree more. Just ignore the guy who adds nothing to a topic and only wishes to silence those who have an opposing opinion to his own. However I did enjoy the coy references about your job and lifestyle and then inform us of the bumper stickers on your car.

Must be great to live in a world where everyone has to agree with you or you simply ignore them.

24. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by RLT69
    Originally Posted by ROF
    The wrong line of thinking is that you do not have someone constantly watching over me
    I suppose if you live China, Cuba or the former Soviet Union, this type of behavior is o.k., However not in America!
    :P

1. Your analogies do not work because of one important issue - Microsoft never informed the user that Windows was going to phone home. Stores have to tell you you are being video taped, let alone recording audio. If they capture sound without your consent - they are breaking the law.
    Re-read my first post in this thread to clarify my agreement in this matter.

2. The other problem with the Microsoft program was it was telling people with legit versions that their version was illegal.
    Been there, done that. Got it fixed in less than 20 minutes time. That's a small price to pay for the billions of thieves out there.

3. Microsoft was also capturing more information than simply the license number of your OS. They were gathering information about your system. This extra information is NOT needed to determine if a user is using a legal or illegal copy.
    OMG, Call the Feds. Microsoft knows I have a 300GB hard drive and an AMD X2 Processor. What a travesty of data mining.

4. According to the laws in Washington State, this program is considered spyware and thus illegal.
    Which laws would those be?

25. Originally Posted by ROF
    There is still no reason to keep checking if you bought a book, a tv, a computer, <insert random thing> after you bought it and have owned the random object for several years.

You have yet to respond to that particular thing.

I mentioned a car earlier. The car dealer does not ask you three years after you bought the car from them, if you bought the car.

Why does Microsoft need to keep checking you after you bought the OS and have a valid key?

Why does Microsoft earn exempt status in your delusional world where you like being treated like a criminal?

26. Member
    Search Comp PM

I mentioned a car earlier. The car dealer does not ask you three years after you bought the car from them, if you bought the car.
    Good example. But to extend it even more, the car manufacturer doesn't plant a bug in your car that sucks out whatever information it wants out of your car's computer and transmit it back to them everyday when you start your car.

27. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    There is still no reason to keep checking if you bought a book, a tv, a computer, <insert random thing> after you bought it and have owned the random object for several years.

You have yet to respond to that particular thing.

Why does Microsoft need to keep checking you after you bought the OS and have a valid key?
    Because there are billions of pirates. I can only think of maybe a handful of people globally that take the time to copy a book. Have you ever bought an OS that said the OS was licensed solely for that device to which it was initially installed? Ever install that OS on other systems? If you haven't, guess what? Billions of others have. That is why Microsoft needs to keep checking. It may not be about you. It probably is not about you. It is about a licensed piece of software to which you agreed to certain rules when it was installed. Every EULA I have ever seen includes a clause about the license agreement and terms being subject to change at anytime by the copyright owner. The WGA is such a change. A mandatory change because there are way more software thieves then there are physical property thieves. If you can not understand the disproportionate amount of arm chair criminals I am sorry.

When I walk into my bank, I have been there billions of times before yet I notice that there are several cameras which watch my every action. Why is that? Because yesterday I may have been doing business yet today I might decide to rob the place. They keep checking no matter how many times I visit, no matter how much business I do there or profits they make from my loans. I have no problems with this. The cameras do not bother me. The WGA checks do not bother me. They are there, they are unobtrusive and do not effect my computing experience. Same with the cameras. They do not effect my banking experience. When I am shopping in the grocery store those cameras do not bother me. Last time I bought a car the show room had no less than 5 cameras watching me as a browsed for cars and waited to hear back from my bank about a loan. Since the cameras are capturing my face, my voice, and quite possibly if aimed properly my drive license number and so on I am supposed to somehow let this effect me in such a way that I get all upset because they could be stealing my important data about what color eyes I have and whether or not I am an organ donor?

28. Banned
    Search Comp PM

Good example. But to extend it even more, the car manufacturer doesn't plant a bug in your car that sucks out whatever information it wants out of your car's computer and transmit it back to them everyday when you start your car.
    Umm . . OnStar!

29. Originally Posted by ROF

Umm . . OnStar!
    OnStar is a separate company that has a partnership with General Motors.

General Motors does not ask you if you bought the car.

OnStar is also a subsciption service that you pay the OnStar Company every year to maintain that service.

30. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF

Umm . . OnStar!
    OnStar is a separate company and not the dealer.
    Advanced Micro Devices is my Processor . . . What's your point?