VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi! I tried to convert a scene/chapter from a dvd to avi using smartripper but it seems that the resolution is not good. It looks like that there is some grains on the converted avi. Is there any way or any other software that I can convert the scene/chapter having a very good resolution. I really want the resolution just like it is on the dvd. Can you please help me? Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well you have two restrictions - the codec you use and the file size requirement you have.

You could use divx high def encoding to 2000 bitrate and have it look just like the dvd. BUT you'll have a HUGE avi file afterwards.

You have to balance quality with file size.

Personally for ease of use for web footage I tend to use windows movie maker to make decent wmv files. They can get really small and still be decent. BUT if you want full screen, 352x480 or 720x480 (ntsc) resolution you'll have larger file sizes too.

It's all about personal taste and trial and error.

You can also use a bitrate calculator to figure it out (divx has one in its encoder fyi). Patience also helps. Its not a perfect, exact science but you can get very good results.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I usually make a 250 x 200 pixel or a 300 x 150 pixel for my avi file. But again, I always have my converted files to have grains. Can you recommend a good dvd to avi converter?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I usually make a 250 x 200 pixel or a 300 x 150 pixel for my avi file.

I hope you don't mean that literally.

Can you recommend a good dvd to avi converter?

I recommend AutoGK. Others might recommend StaxRip, FairUse, AVINet, or possibly others.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the software, I was able to convert a dvd sence/chapter to avi with good resolution. By the way do you know any software that can convert avi/mpeg to gif?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    2 words: Google "avi2gif"

Scott
    Quote Quote