VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8
1 2 3 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all,

I have upgraded my Liteon lvw-5045 to 400G successfully. Here is the instruction that I have posted on other forum:

Part I: Explanation on how it works:
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2284

Part II: Step-by-Step instruction:
    http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2285

The ILODVDHR04 is identical to lvw-5045. Therefore, the intruction will apply to it as well. However, as long as the hd is FAT32 partition, I believe this method will work for other brand's hd based DVD recorder as well. If anybody is interesting to try it on other devices, I am very interest to know the result..

Have fun...*^_^*
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Test Result:

After recorded the last two World Cup Soccer match in HQ mode last weekend, my 400G is down to less than 2 hours in HQ(~8G left). Since I 'expand' the hd two weeks ago, more than 200Gbs of video which have been recorded to hd on top of original 160Gbs data. All newly recorded video are playback without any problem(pretty much I have playback from begin to end, u know, I was catching up all the soccer games.. ) as well as those recorded previously. Also, other functions such as cut/merge, copy DVD to hd and burn from hd to DVD are working fine. One last thing that I have realized the improvement is the recorder can start to record within a minute after power up right now instead of 3 minutes before...

Anyway, Have anyone give it a try yet? Any feedback or questions are welcome..

Have Fun...*^_^*
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

It seems so far no feedback from other readers from this forum about this method..

Anyway, I have fine tune my RCA Lyra 2780 video jukebox with 100G using this method to convert from 32k cluster to 64k cluster to reduce the size of the FAT. The result is my RD2780 is funtioning normally after the upgrade without any hangs up like it did in the past.

It confirmed that this method is also can apply to other hd base devices such as Jukebox, MP3 player...etc as well. Here is the detail step-by-step instruction of how to do that:

http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2310

I don't have any more hd base devices that I can try this method anymore. Hope others can try it on other devices and let us know the result..

Have Fun...*^_^*
    Quote Quote  
  4. Keep up the good work! been wondering about this myself .. I'm normally too frightened to upgrade products until near the end of their life
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi [RabidDog],

Thank you for your reply. If my lvw-5045 was working fine, I would not touch it.. The main reason I need to spend to time on it because I have corrupted the last espisode of my wife's most favorite TV series, CSI Las Vegas, couple weeks ago. It was a major nightmare..Hope others won't experience the same problem like I have been through..

While I was fixing my lvw-5045, I realized this method may work for other hd base devices. That's the reason I try it on my Lyra RD2780 and it works also. Hope this method will benefit to others who have other brand of DVD recorder or any hd based video/mp3 player.

Have fun.. *^_^*
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi All,

Some members from other forum have pointed out the instruction seems long and sounds scary. For that reason, I have posted a reply in Part II to download an utility to format a hd using 64k cluster at http://www.techolio.com/forums/phpB...opic.php?t=2285

The utility names 'mkdosfs' and here is url you can download from:
    http://www.freebyte.com/filediskutils/#diskmanagement

The command is:
    mkdosfs -F 32 -s 128 -S512 -v E: (where E: is the hd you are going to format)

There is another program names FAT32Format.exe that you can download from that web site to do that also. Give it a try..

Have Fun.. *^_^*
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    thanks tortoro my toshiba rd-xs-52 has a HDD going south on me, so this may be the trick I have been looking for to change to a new HDD. I will defnitely check this out. Good work, fella.
    Quote Quote  
  8. mmm..yes... corrupting the wife is a good thing...
    Corned beef is now made to a higher standard than at any time in history.
    The electronic components of the power part adopted a lot of Rubycons.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Totoro -

Thanks for your help.

I've been trying to upgrade my HD04 to a 400GB and have been having problems. You say the command for mkdosfs -F 32 -s 128 -S512 -v E: (where E: is the hd you are going to format).

Why is it "-s 128" instead of "-s 64"? That may be where my problem lies (I used 64 instead of 128).

Everything seemed to work fine with me, although I did pull the power to see if that would cause a reformat (it didn't). But I now cannot read (play) anything past 30 minutes in any of the recordings. I'm not sure if that's a problem from pulling the power - or whether it was a problem before that (since I didn't try to play anything past the 30 minute mark before pulling the power).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Hi JamesNG, for sure Totoro168 would be able to give you the technical side of the "128" issue but I wanted to share my experience in supersizing my hd04s (4 of them, 2 are stored). I've read the issue with FAT32 format at 32k cluster size and when the unit goes through a HDD scan as you (and I) did, the files will corrupt at the 1GB mark meaning if recorded at HQ, corrupts at around 15 min., at SP corrupts at around 30 mins etc... I remember having that problem initially prior to a few firmware releases so I think it was later fixed in a firmware release but the full erase command only does 80GB.

In reading your post you mentioned that instead of telling the program at 128 (64 x 2) you requested to do it at 64 (32 x 2). By doing so you formated your hdd with clusters at 32k size, that's why your recordings corrupted. I personnaly used the FAT32FORMAT program which does the same as the mkdosfs program and the H2Format for that matter (program to format HDDs in FAT32 larger than 32GB).

I tried to use the H2format with the 128 command and did not succeed, got a message (in german) that from what I could tell a copyright issue with trying to format bigger sized clusters, that's why I used FAT32Format program and tried without the 128 command first and in the result field it showed that I got 32k cluster size and tested it out. My test recordings corrupted, tried with the 128 command and it showed clusters sized at 64K, tested it and no problem whatsover, all my HD04s work and no more corrupt files after scanning. So try it again but go with the 128 command, it should do the trick.

I would also thank Totoro168 for all of his research and solutions.

CC
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks CrazyCanuck for the information you shared.

Two questions if I may:

(1) I have the fat32format.exe program. Can you give me the exact command line switches you used?

(2) Have you actually pulled the power while the HD04 was on, restarted (and had it run through its "check disk thingy" - and then verified everything was still ok (and that you still had the benefit of the large hard drive space)?

Thanks.

(By the way, I did pull the drive last night, reformat with mkdosfs (using the -s 128 switch) and everything is working for now - but I've not tried the ultimate test of pulling power to the unit.
    Quote Quote  
  12. The command for fat32format is : fat32format -c128 f:

replace f: with your driver letter.

Yes, everytime I formatted a HDD I would run through the test (2-250GB, 1-200GB, 1-160GB) no corruption and had all the space available no issue, actually had a power failure the other day, no issue. I've actually tried it without the -c128 and it formatted but at 32k clusters and it failed through the testing, did it just for peace of mind.

Now that you have reformatted try a test; recording at least 20 minutes in HQ, go through the scan and if not properly formatted the file will crap out at 15 min. 23 sec. approx, if properly formatted it will play to the end.

A little tidbit, I've got 2 250GB, one's a Seagate the other a Western Digital, the only difference is a louder click on the Western Digital when powering off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can now get the modded firmware to expand the HDD to GT 440GB. see here:
    http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/index.php?topic=4795.60
    Quote Quote  
  14. bithead9 -wrote

You can now get the modded firmware to expand the HDD to GT 440GB. see here:
    http://ccgi.mgillespie.plus.com/liteon/smf/index.php?topic=4795.60

That site will not let me view that post or thread
    Is this because I'm not a member OR the item no longer exists
    Quote Quote  
  15. Hi LCSHG, been a while. Yes, you must register in order to view that forum. I've was looking at this issue about a year ago and it seems that the designer of the program (mikeb) has been successful in flashing the firmware to various Liteon HDD recorders to accept bigger HDDs without loosing its full capacity when erasing the HDD.

At the time I was checking it out, most of his successes were on UK and other region other than US models. I just verified and apparently he has produce a program for the 5045 US model increasing its capacity from 160GB to 446GB max. on the 204 firmware. Tried to dowload the file but for some reason, I can't access the server right now, will try on another PC. Not sure how that works (204) with Mr. Wizard's tool. He is also testing to increase the capacity of the 760 US model (028 firmware) from 250GB to 1,090GB which I'm interested in!!!

Got it to download, if you register, go to page 2, reply #23 by mikeb and hit his "my DL page" on the post, that'll take you to his page where you can pick and choose from his array of ready firmwares.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    And I have a newer patch that will set the max even higher. Let me know if you want that for the USA 5045.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The new patch set the sectors to:
    1065GB 31744 sectors 1,065,151,889,408 bytes (about a Terabyte). Same as the hacked A760GX
    Quote Quote  
  18. Hi CC
    Yes it’s been awhile
    I don’t have a problem with the 80 or 160 drives or with the use of larger one if wanted

The earlier reference to a RHD04 was what interested me.
    You never know when some info might lead to the D04 being made to a 5045 All-Rite with or without a drive size increase.

I do not mean to doubt, but I a am somewhat concerned about changing firmware
    ! have one 5045 that has such a problem and will try to correct it when I get the chance

EDIT
    I do wish the ilo had all-rite as the 5045 and both had a 21/2 hr recording mode
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you have the firmware for your unit we can probably patch yours for bigger HDD too! Just email me the file.
    bithead9 at yahoo dot com
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI - my 5045 now has 275hrs in SP mode after the patch and HDD of 640GB! 139Hrs in HQ mode! 816 hours in SLP! nice huh?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW - I downloaded the RHD04 called WMJA1201.DA0 and was able to work a hack for HDD = 1005GB 29971 sectors 1,005,659,881,472 bytes!
    If you want to test let me know. This HDD project that MikeB started is fun. He did great work on finding this one!
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hi bithead9, I wouldn't mind testing the HD04 HDD hack. Let me know how to get my hands on the hacked firmware file. Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  23. LCSHG, here also would like the HD04 transformed to get just-fit recording capability on its HDD. It's a bit of PITA to timer-schedule recordings on the dvd+rws to get just-fit files with the HD04 but it's the workaround.

With my 740/760s DL recorders, when I'm copying video from the inputs, I have to babysit the timer recording on the HDD and start the video I want to record in just-fit. The 740/760 does not let you do just-fit to the full capacity of a DL disc so sometimes I'll take the time to record on the HDD, the front end and back end of a movie at a just-fit setting and then find a common split point (scene switch with no audio) on the two recordings and split/merge the files so I can fit a file onto DLs, again, a bit of a PITA but it works.

All-write would also be nice. For now, with the R04 and the R04-to-5005X crossflash file, does the trick for me. I really only need the audio CD-writing capability. I will eventually set up one of my R04s permanently in my audio system as a CD recorder to transfer my odd vinyl LPs to CD.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You can get DVDRHD04 WMJA1201.DA0 here:
    groups.google.com/group/techassist/files
    Good luck and let me know if all goes well. I will notify MikeB and maybe he can host it on his outstanding Liteon HDD webpage.
    Regards,
    Joe
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will try to compare other 5045 fiw values, I have no clue which ones govern the "just fit" option. Will let you know if I find anything worth a test ...
    Quote Quote  
  26. bithead9

I do not require a larger HDD and can do without just fit—but.
    A 21/2 hr mode would be of great value for the ilo RH D04 and Liteon 5045
    A firmware for the ilo RHD04 to have the features of the 5045 has been sought for a long time

Supplying firmware files is not a problem

It just occurred to me that if you modified the files and were accepted for a larger HDD.
    You might also be able do the above.

PS
    Most users of the liteon Have not gone beyond Firmware

098 for the 5005 (series)
    197 for the 5045
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Please elaborate, what is 21/2 hour mode???? Send me pics or tell me where the pics
    are of your unit. If the mainboard is same layout as the 5045 and the tuner is the same,
    etc. there is a very good chance to hack the 5045 features into your Ilo. Its not any
    easy task as the checksum algorithms are strange. This HDD hack was lucky since
    the values hacked are close together and do not cause any major changes to adjacent
    fields. I have been running with the HDD hack on my 5045 for a few weeks now and others
    have tested the UK version very well. So its known to work... Of course not a singe soul
    has tested the ILO! But the firmware area looks VERY much like the 5045 including many
    of the DVD mech fw and symbols etc.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    BTW - regarding the HDD and other related hacks. You can use a Rosewill IDE-SATA adapter on any HUGE SATA drive (I used a Seagate 640GB) and the Liteon will have no problems! So you can extend the life of the unit by being able to put modern SATA technology (and perpindicular drives) into the old IDE interface! Sweet! I have no however figured out how to get a SATA DVD drive to work Who knows maybe I will get that working too some day! Gotta find a compat. adapter of maybe a non-Liteon SATA DVD drive. Who knows. I love playig with this stuff and seeing how far we can strech the limits of the original units. Fun stuff.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I think I understand you mean 2 and (one half) 1/2 hour recording mode! right ?
    Quote Quote  
  30. Hi again bithead9, can't seem to be able to bring up the file with the link (which is not operational), went to Google groups and tried a few searches and got nothing (techassist). Would you mind trying to post the link again, thanks. And BTW thanks for the sata adapter tip. Yes, the 2 1/2 hour mode is 2 hours 30 minutes, When I do "just-fit" projects at the 2.5 setting, the system recognizes the recording mode as "SPx".

Cheers
    Quote Quote