VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Thread
  1. bithead9 quote

If you don't need the update then don't do it. I only posted here to provide help for others. If you don't need the help, GREAT. If you are willing to test fw that make the ILO more like the 5045 then let me know. If not I will not work on any other changes.

My Comment
    “Right Click Left Click --- [OH My] “ was meant as humor but was bad.

I do understand that many would welcome the Larger HDD patch. I have kept my HDD’s open . If I want a program to view again I transfer to disk and delete it from the HDD I do not want the HDD files to get ahead of me.[again]

I’m sorry if I was misunderstood and for this late reply
    You Say
    “If you are willing to test fw that make the ILO more like the 5045 then let me know. If not I will not work on any other changes."

When you say ‘more like the 5045.
    YES !! I would try it
    To Qualify I would like the RHD04 to be like a 5045 with all-rite [DVD CD etcc.]. The HDD up-grade is now done. A 21/2 hr recording mode I feel would be a big + for both.

Thanks Again
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK - I did find a flaw in the operation of the patched firmware. Still investigating. When I went over 512GB and unpluged the unit from the AC mains it did a scan disk. That seems to have set my HDD back to empty and only 512GB in size. So, it may be that 512GB is the MAX we can put in these units!
    Stay tuned - more to some. I am in contact with MikeB and discussions continue.
    Quote Quote  
  3. bithead9, thanks again for all your work and testing but I found a major flaw in the new ILO HD04 version (<512).

Just tested Mikeb's revised <512GB ILO HD 04 hack file and it doesn't enable the LP recording mode. I did erase the HDD, no problem, full capacity. By reading the S/N, it appears to be MV and Region free, when I looked in the setup at the recording modes, the LP mode was gone, odd.

I tried to process mikeb's file through the ilohacker just to see and it wouldn't create a file so I flashed it back with your >512GB hack, and now at least got the LP mode back and full capacity, something to look into I guess. The new version for the ILO HD04 user is probably not an option right now as you loose the LP recording mode feature.

If a revised hack is created, I don't mind testing it out again. Take care.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Download again from his site. He repatched the Ilo with LP mode. I was just in contact with him and is now available. Hope you testing goes well.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Thanks for the quick response, just flashed the ILO HD04 with the new revised patch (-512GB) and yes the LP mode is back, erased the HDD (200GB in this one), full capacity, forced a scan, no issue with recordings over 1GB, HDD is at full capacity again, recorded the LP mode and was recognized as LP. I was able to merge the LP file that I reloaded after the flash with this new LP recording, tested the MV, everything working as it should and checked the region setting and it's set at free, so the new patch works just fine.

Thanks again bithead9, very cool tool.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That is good news. The only problem we found so far is HDD greater than 512GB and getting full. Subsequent delete of a few recordings. Then a pull the plug while recording again. This resulted in a scandisk at startup. then the HDD was hosed. not accessable for any of the recordings. So the scandisk routine might be OK for HDD up to a certain size. but it looks like my 640gb drive was too big. I hope to test again soon just to be sure. And I hope someone else out there might be able to test a 512GB drive or something bigger than the largest 320gb liton used in their high end A970 units. Oh well, keep on testing!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I reposted the Phillips firmware for testing. I do not have a Phillips DVDR-520H but someone out there does. Please report back your success - these are ZIP files. You must unzip and burn to a CD-R and finalize the disk.

I put TWO files one for 512GB and one for 1TB at the link below:
    http://groups.google.com/group/techassist/files?pli=1
    Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    FYI - if anyone has one of these supposed CLONES of the Liteon HDD DVR units:
    [s:9c6396ba12]-- DVD/HDD Recorders
    Grundig GDR 5550
    JVC DR-MH30
    JVC DR-MH300
    JVC DR-MH35
    JVC DV-MH5
    JVC DV-MH50
    JVC DV-MH55
    LG Electronics RH-4820
    LG Electronics RH-7000
    LG Electronics RH-7800
    LG Electronics RH-7900M [/s:9c6396ba12]
    Lite-On LVW 5020
    Lite-On LVW 5045
    Philips DVDR3350H
    [s:9c6396ba12]Polaroid DRM-2001G
    Samsung HR700 [/s:9c6396ba12]
    (thanks to another videohelp thread on this topic)
    If you want HDD patch send me the firmware or send me a link to the firmware. If it uses the same firmwares are ILO and LITEON then it should be an easy patch
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The JVC's are not clones of the LiteOns -- I don't know where you got that information.
    The Polaroid definitely is not a clone either.
    I doubt the LGs are either.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hmmm. I guess I mixed up recorders using the Dimension chip with the Liteon clones? The Phillips is a clone (firmware wise) except they do use other Phillips chips too. I will update my post. Thanks for that observation.
    Quote Quote  
  11. lordsmurf is correct

On the list given there is NO clone of a liteon
    The
    ilo 04 series are [NOT THE 05 which is a cyberhome]

Some Accurian, Gateway, Daytek and possibly some others were
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi all, forgive me if these are stupid questions but after reading the thread I thought better to ask. I found an old Ilo DVDRHD04 while cleaning out a closet today and wanted to get some use out of it. I'd like to be able to backup my daughters favorite retail DVDs so she doesn't have to dig the original out and put it in everytime she wants to watch it is this possible with a firmware update? I also thought about upgrading the HDD to somthing bigger, but it seems some people had mixed results. What's the biggest I can go? How would I go about doing the swap, any special procedures? Links to any tuts would be great, tried to follow the one on page 1 but couldn't get anything to come up. I'm pretty capable with most things(mod my game systems without any trouble) but I won't be mad if you spell everything out Thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    get the firmware here:
    http://www.twowheels.force9.co.uk/liteonus.htm
    update your unit. You can got to 500GB with this firmware. Yes you should be able
    to backup DVD to the HDD and then burn copies back to the DVD writer. I never use the Ilo but my 5045 Litoen does. It is basicaly the same firmware...Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK I ran another test of the 1TB firmware and used a 640GB drive (same as before) and I filled the drive with HQ recordings. After that I displayed all the videos and all were FINE. I the pulled the plug to simulate a mains outage and I got the LIteon5045 to do the dreaded disk scan at startup. Well it looked good but then it never got past 83% of the scan. So this confirms (at least for the LVW-5045) that the maximum disk size is 512GB. I will do one last test using Mike's 512GB max firmware for the 5045 and report back. But based on my calculations the scan disk should work. Since 83% of 640GB is about 512GB!
    So thats the latest update on this firmware patch. The only way to improve the firmware now is of the scandisk routine can be patched to the larger capacity. That of course is not likely to happend unless someone comes out with the source or data areas of the liton units... Well see you all back here in about a week.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by bithead9
    The new patch set the sectors to:
    1065GB 31744 sectors 1,065,151,889,408 bytes (about a Terabyte). Same as the hacked A760GX
    Are there instructions all in one place for upgrading the LiteOn LVW-5045 HDD to 1 Terabyte (as mentioned
    in this quote... where do I download the 1 TB firmware from?) AND instructions on how to convert or adapt a 1 TB SATA
    HDD to allow it to be used in the 5045 with the upgraded software? I presume that if I apply a 1 TB firmware
    to the 5045, it will still accept a "mere" 400 GB drive until such time as I find a larger drive? I have plenty
    of software for imaging the existing drive on my PC to back it up in case of disaster.

What a super-interesting project... I'd love to try it, especially since SATAs are much easier to find these
    days than the IDE drives.

Thanks a million (bytes?)!!
    "You can't teach an old dog nuances!"
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    P.S. - Forgot to mention. Above CazaderoJoe inquiry is related to US, not UK, versions
    unless, of course, if it doesn't really matter?
    "You can't teach an old dog nuances!"
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well my test of the 512GB firmware passed with flying colors. Did the the same thing. Recorded until full. Pulled the plug while watching TV. Plugged back to the AC mains and it did the scandisk. Not problems. YAY! Now i hate to say t his BUT it migh actually work for greater than 512GB - When I hung at 83% before I may have been hasty and figired it was locked up. The 512GB formatted drive did the SAME thing bu it eventullay did complete! So I may actually do another test. Unless CazaderoJoe wants to do that test. Joe if you want the 1TB firmware for US I can email you the link - I removed the one I posted originally since we found troubles in my testing. What Liteon are you using and firmware level. I would love to have someone else test this out. I am using the USA firmware too. And I an running a 5045 as well as the A760 unit.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK anyone wanting to play with 1TB firmware here you go:
    http://groups.google.com/group/techassist/files?pli=1
    The USA 5045 is the file called: 1TB_LNJCU204.DA1.zip
    Quote Quote  
  19. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys,

Had to re-format my hard drive for my Liteon lvw - 5045...only problem now is ive lost all the software for it, got the firmware but the actual burning and playing software that was on it when i bought it has gone. Does anyone know if i can download it from anywhere? or has anyone made an image of it?

Thanks,

Lauren
    Quote Quote  
  20. Hi Imullarkey! Reformatting a HDD will not affect the "software" as the software is applied on the chip on the motherboard and not the HDD. The only files on the HDD are the storage files for video, music and pictures and also the operating files for timeshifting recording.

If you've reformatted your hardrive, I would suggest just to set the jumper to MASTER, install the HDD in the 5045 and do an HDD ERASE under TOOLS and that will put the storage folders and timeshift files back onto the HDD and you should be fine.

If the system files were actually wiped from the chip, your screen will be black with a line dividing the screen from top to bottom down the middle of your screen. To recover from this, as I have when I rebuilt an ILO HD04 which I bought completley disassembled (half-size clone of the 5045 in North America) you need to work blindly, meaning no dialog box on the screen, you just need to insert your firmware disc, wait until the front display shows "UPDATE", cursor once to the left which will be like choosing "yes" in the dialog box asking you if you want to update and press ENTER and let it run.

Good luck and post back your results.
    Quote Quote  
  21. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello, I just registered to this forum. Although I have been reading forum discussions and working with LiteOn and iLO recorders for a couple of years, yesterday I finally encountered a problem that I cannot solve. I have one LiteOn 5045 and two iLO HD04 recorders that had the latest hacked firmwares. Over the weekend I downloaded and installed the new firmwares from MikeB's site that recognizes large HDDs. Everything worked perfectly for the 5045 and one of the HD04's. However, the second HD04 (which was working fine with the regular hacked 201 firmware) failed on the large hard drive 201 firmware. Nothing unusual happened during the firmware install process, but when the recorder rebooted it would not get past "HELLO". I have since tried everything that I can think of to recover: switch DVD burners, switch hard drives, make the two jumpers master, make the two jumpers cable select. None of this works. Does anyone have a recommendation? Is there a sequence of steps like the 5005 (i.e. hold the stop button while powering up) to force a CD tray open to re-install the firmware? Any ideas would be much appreciated!
    By the way all of you (CrazyCanuck, LCSHG, bithead9, Harpmaker, Guitarman) have done great work on these recorders and their firmware.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    bithead9 :
    I just purchased a HTS5800H/37 Home Theater which includes a Phillips DVDR-3350H, and I would like to expand the hard drive to at least 160 GB.
    I am computer savvy, and I was wondering what I need to do this firmware wise.

Thanks !
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get PHJB2196_512GB.zip from the link I posed above... It set the formatting to 512GB. That is a practical limit.
    You unzip and burn the file to CD and filanlize the disk (no further writing possible). Then play it in your DVD recorder. It will flash the firmware. Then put a new HDD like a 512GB one and doa FORMAT in the phillips. that should be it. there is a test 1TB firmware there too. If you want to play. I also have the offsets and the values if you feel like patching yourself. But you misy use a good hex editor and be sure the checksum is correct. Good luck and let me know if you need anything else...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the firware link you sent me is different from the files I have. I will take a look. But the one I have posted is for that unit ans was tested to 512GB OK by one user.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I check the firmware for this unit from the Phillis website and it is way different than the original. It does not contain the eyecatchers that the Ilohacker or the HDD hack looks for ...It does contain strings that show Wind River systems and LSI logic. So it may be hackable... We might need Mike to take a look at the newest firmware. I definately have one user that PMed me saying they update their phillips DVDR520H using the fw I have posted. So it does work for that unit. Maybe they changed the dev kit. I think Windriver got baought by Intel ?? I forget.. but they would def. changed things and the newer phillips would use the new api calls, etc.
    Quote Quote  
  26. superpaws

Your post on Aug 10
    Am I correct
    The one 5045 had the latest hack firmware [197] and the RHDO4 [201]
    All worked ox except 1 ilo RHD04 [Stuck on Hello].
    The liteon/ilo will work without a HDD But will take about a min & a half to leave Hello They will not work without a DVD or one that is recognized by the systemT and hang on Hello forever, Sounds as this way be the broblem

{If all worked ok But I have my doubts}
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for the help. For now I will ghost a bit by bit image, and then use one of the linux Live CD's to take a look at the partitions. Then I'll try putting in a 160 GB with whatever tools are available ( Weaknees CD etc ) , and see what i can find out for other people in a similar situation.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The links in the OP are dead. Are there any updated links covering the same subjects?

I stumbled across this (auction item #320432132435);
    http://cgi.ebay.com/WHITE-MAGIC-Liteon-LVW-5045-HDD-DVD-Recorder-w-500GB-HD_W0QQitemZ3...item4a9b3e5153

Any idea what the deal is?
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote  
  29. This seller has been offering this deal for a number of years now. He also provides a servicing offer where you would send in your unit and he would upgrade it for a fee for new parts and labour. Here he's offering a customized 5045 (500GB HDD with a new PC drive installed (only certain Liteon and some Liteon clones sold under the Sony label). If you own a 5045, you can trade it in and the seller will send you a customized unit for $120 less than the posted price ($499-$120=$379). The seller does not provide which technique he used to upgrade the HDD.

The OP of this thread provided a method to upgrade the HDD up to 500GB (there weren't any bigger HDD at the time of the OP posting). This method I've used in the past for my ILO HD04s and worked fine. The only drawback is that users couldn't erase the HDD as this would format the HDD back to its original size (80GB in the ILO, 160GB in the 5045) If that occured, you needed to bring the HDD back to the PC and go through the full process of formatting to full capacity and copying the files back on the HDD and reinstall in the unit. The OP posted his method under the Techolio board which is now shut down due to lack of activity.

Since then, users MikeB and bithead9 worked out a new firmware hack that allows users to simply apply a firmware file and upgrade their units which allows you to erase the HDD without loosing its full capacity. Those files can be found here, http://www.twowheels.force9.co.uk/liteon.htm pick your region and appropriate file, burn the CD and apply to the recorder, install a larger HDD, an error code dialogue box may come up, ignore it, do a full HDD erase function under "tools" and it it will format the HDD to its full capacity. You will be able to erase any size (up to 500BG) HDD in the future without loosing its full capacity.

The "white magic" statement refers to the ability of the 5045 (and a few other Liteon and clones) to ignore CP signals allowing users to backup any recordings they might have, that would be Mr' Wizard's hack.

You may come accross statements such as players that are "black magic" such as the Apex 1500, (I believe is the right model), which means that it will play dvds and send out a signal where the CP is stripped, any Liteon (and clones) that are updated with the hacked firmware (Mr. Wizard's) is also "black magic". Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting. When you say you can't erase the HDD, are you referring to wiping the whole HDD at once, or are you referring to just deleting various separate recordings?
    Why are ones and zeros so complicated? Linear Video Editing was easier. Downloading & streaming are two different things.
    Quote Quote