VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have read many posts from this site and have to say this is a very helpful site.

in the past i have transfered vhs to dvd using a Capture card and a computer

I was wondering how would it be possible to transfer VHS to DVD as professional mass transfer set ups do.... such as
    http://www.videosilo.com/videosilo/index.rsc
    http://www.yesvideo.com/services/videotodvd/default.aspx

Can anyone inform me on how do replicate a small size set up to tranfer VHS to DVD quickly and as automated as possible?
    Capture cards just take to long so how do these companies conduct such fast conversions.

I am willing to spend a decent amount of many to attempt a small set up to get good quality results quickly and efficiently..

thank you for your help.
    I have spent many hours researching but i have found little to reveal how large companies transfer videos so quickly
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    deleted
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in the past i have transfered vhs to dvd using a Capture card and a computer
    That's the hobbiests route..Total control over every aspect of the output.

I was wondering how would it be possible to transfer VHS to DVD as professional mass transfer set ups do.... such as
    Buy good quality VCR's (industrial for the most part), with TBC's, amps, and whatever other goodies i can't think of, and burn to a standalone DVD burner..

Hit play, hit record, and walk away...

This is the quick answer...

The restoration forum can help you understand aobut getting the best quality out of a VCR output, and the DVD recorders are self explanitory..

One way or the other, you'll definately need to go the hardware route, for speed and simplicity..
    Good luck!!!
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replys but if do pijetro's way if the video is only 30 mins and i let it continue going won't i get alot of blank recorded video or is there a way to sync them to stop when the tape stops ot to do a basic cut edit?

is that how these big companies do it?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thanks for the replys but if do pijetro's way if the video is only 30 mins and i let it continue going
    Since time is money, the customer will most likely tell you in advance how much footage there is.

or is there a way to sync them to stop when the tape stops ot to do a basic cut edit?
    Look at getting a DVD standalone, with an HDD..That way you can add multiple tapes onto a project.

Locally speaking, the two main places in town don't care. They'd rather stop the tape, change discs, and start fresh, rather than trying to fit everything into a tight little package..For the most part, people don't know any better, and are happy to know that there memories are on DVD..

Personally, if i was thinking of getting the best of both worlds (editing, and quick burns), i would do my cutting with Adobe Premiere pro, and export straight from the timeline to a standalone burner with firewire capabilities..
    Real time acquisition, and realtime export..The only thing that is variable to time, would be your personal need to get the best edit possible...

Good luck!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Squashky
    http://www.videosilo.com/videosilo/index.rsc
    http://www.yesvideo.com/services/videotodvd/default.aspx
    Those are not even remotely close to "professional companies". I've heard a number of complaints regarding both of those places, dismal quality VHS to DVD work. A site like that buys a website template, buys a few cheap VCRs and DVD recorders, add some hype, and hope nobody finds out otherwise. A lot of those "fancy looking" places get confused if you ask them about s-video or TBCs. Simple questions that should be as common knowledge as "look both ways before crossing the street".

Also, as a general online shopping tip, if you see a site that has "testimonials" then do yourself a favor and run like hell. Serious businesses don't need stupid garbage like that. Most of the time those comments are fake.

A serious business will have stacks of hardware for all sorts of situations. Professional and prosumer VCRs, really good DVD recorders, computers specialized towards video with needed software/hardware, scanners, cameras, proc amps, TBCs, other a/v filtering hardware, etc.

Another red flag is if everything is priced out, especially with cutesy little 99 cent type endings. Video cannot always be quantified in that sort of manner, you really have to operate off a quotes system, each video will require different settings. I've seen a few serious companies try to price everything out, and it always ends up in this super-complex chart (100+ rows, anywhere from 3-10 columns), and even then there are notes everywhere that state things like "may vary, contact us for an exact quote". When you deal with truly professional video and photo companies, you'll most often get prices that are rounded to whole dollars.

And these companies do not "mass transfer" the video. That would really result in crappy output. Every video (and let's include photo too) gets individual attention. A "mass transfer" is a sloppy amateur method that results in sloppy amateur quality results. Any idiot with access to Wal-mart can do that one (cheap VCR, cheap DVD recorder). True quality only comes from dedicated attention by somebody that actually has video knowledge.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    LS wrote:
    True quality only comes from dedicated attention by somebody that actually has video knowledge.
    Heart and soul lordsmurf... heart and soul....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm in Total Agreement with Lordsmurf..........
    http://www.absolutevisionvideo.com

BLUE SKY, BLACK DEATH!!
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    great responses thanks. I do now understand on how they are not the best companies to base a business off of. I agree although wat do your suggestions on not attempting to mass produce the conversions although how could i make a setup to convert VHS to DVD with a simple menu.

I know you suggest a VCR with filters or too a filter then to a DVD recorder.But could you guys help me make a work flow diagram to map out how to i would convert the vhs with high quality results in decently short time w/o encoding twice when i don't have to edit.

Like even if i have the hardware strung together wat steps do i need to take to get the job done right.

AS of right now i have a Workstation 3.6 p4 2 gb x800 vc And a laptop for authoring if needed. and premiere pro1.5. matrox capture card, and a min dv cam w/ pass through As i said before i will be purchasing more as u guys suggest to get the job done.

does anoloug to mpeg then to dvd give a better final product then vcr to dvd recorder

thanks for your help. I apprieciate it.

What kind of setups do the companies in your sigs have?
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What do you guys think of this.... not sure of exact parts but basically..

VCR either w/ TBC or external -------> DVD recorder records onto DVD ram (would that record as an mpeg movie?) ------>import to computer----> basic cutting edits(would i have to reencode?) ----------->autor and burn using Pinoneer AO8 or 9

So wat would the quality be like for that setup? and the two questions that are in the ( ) above

thanks
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I believe U got your answer from drewzor & lordsmuf.

It all depends on the porpouse, your final goal.
    I think it would help if you give a concret scenario.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ok scenario

I get 30 tapes all 2 hours and she wants them converted to DVD with basic authoring. The quality is OK.

That is basically a example scenario of what i will be getting would that set up work.
    i agree with lord smurf and drewzor that you need to set expectations. but i need help for some one to say that setup yes will work or no this won't work because XYZ.

or if there is a better way.

will the DVD ram be ok for the recording on to? or does that cause quality loss.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you must do edit, then i believe that you should capture to premiere elements(very easy to work with) export to mpeg2 and do some 'basic DVD authoring'.

If U just need to convert I sugest you get a HDD/DVD.

For the first option You must consider HDD space, once you'r talking of 60 hour footage.

I would like to know if i'm correct. If not, what would be the best solution.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    if i use a vcr to dvd recorder and capture with Mpeg do i have to rencode if i make small cuts and transitiions into the video?
    if so will it be a long encoding or just a quick one?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Squashky
    if i use a vcr to dvd recorder and capture with Mpeg do i have to rencode if i make small cuts and transitiions into the video?
    if so will it be a long encoding or just a quick one?
    Some editors will reencode, others won't. I recommend you use MPEG Video Wizard, it will not reencode if just simply cutting out parts and re-arranging clips, etc. Where transition effects are inserted there will of course be reencoding, but only in those areas (assuming you don't change any of the file specs such as res, bitrate, etc...) The rest of the file will be unaffected, meaning no loss of quality from the original MPEG-2. It will take the application approximately 5-10 minutes to do the job per 2 hours of video, even if no reencoding is necessary.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    does premiere pro have an option not to reencode because i already own that...

Still will recording to a DVD ram disc work fine?

Also can any one recommend a good quality VCR and a quality DVD recorder and how i could link them most effectively

Thanks again for all the help...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    DVD RAM wont work on standalone dvd.Only DVDRAM drives can read the format.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have the DVR- 108 and this website http://www.cdrinfo.com/Sections/Reviews/Specific.aspx?ArticleId=10114 says it can read them but only at 2x so does that mean 2 hours of data will transfer for 1 hour ....thanks for the help

CAn any one suggest either a really good combo
    or
    Good VCR and a good DVD recorder

ty
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    RW will be fine.
    If I wanted do distribute I would use -R.

U can check for http://videohelp.com/dvdrecorders

I have an old LG DVDRAM GSA.(still works and never let me down).

I believe that any VCR that works can do the job if U can connect it to your PC.

I hope it helps

Sorry about beeing late answering.I believe U changed your post!.

I think you have the best site to search.For the recorder U should get somethng that records at x8 or x16.That should save U some time
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I know everyone here hates combo machines but this is a pro model so how is the quality on this JVC SR-MV30U

I think i would record onto a DVD-rw and rip to hdd and then encore with possible cuts and transitions

this should be high quality right.

i found lightly used for 300
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think U'r in the right way.

I don't use encore for authoring.
    My preference goes to Mediachance DVDLab Pro, intuitive or "familiar" and less expensive software wich makes wonders.

Good work 4U
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ""Some editors will reencode, others won't. I recommend you use MPEG Video Wizard, it will not reencode if just simply cutting out parts and re-arranging clips, etc. Where transition effects are inserted there will of course be reencoding, but only in those areas (assuming you don't change any of the file specs such as res, bitrate, etc...) The rest of the file will be unaffected, meaning no loss of quality from the original MPEG-2. It will take the application approximately 5-10 minutes to do the job per 2 hours of video, even if no reencoding is necessary. """"

Is there a tool in Primere pro 1.5 to not reencode completely but just reencode the altered cuts and transitions? If not i think i will use that tool to make cuts.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Premiere must reencode full movie.

Seems a good choice MVW.
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [b]
    VIDEOSILO took my tapes, 32 of them, and $600+ dollors and are gone! These tapes were my bosses family. I MEAN MY "BOSS". Fudge!!! filed a BBB against them and no reply. no contact, no phone. nothing. RUN LIKE HELL.

stay away from them... WHO? VIDEO SILO - BAD REALLY BAD!!!!
    Quote Quote  
  25. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VideoSilo at www.videosilo.com took my money too!!! They charged me and never sent me any packing materials. I contacted them 15 times and I always got an automated reply saying where to go to place an order and FAQ's. There is no address!!! No phone number on the website, no way period to contact anyone!!! If anybody can give me an address or phone number I would appreciate it....

I guess I should be fortunate they just took my money but never had a chance to get my memories on tape that I'd never be able to get back!!!

RUN!!!! AND NEVER GIVE WWW.VIDEOSILO.COM YOUR BUSINESS UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE OUT OF MONEY AND AND GET NOTHING IN RETURN!!!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Registrant:
    ResiSoft, Inc.
    P.O. Box 638
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    US

Domain name: VIDEOSILO.COM

Administrative Contact:
    Wolf, Scott
    P.O. Box 638
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    US
    847-681-9010
    Technical Contact:
    Wolf, Scott
    P.O. Box 638
    Highland Park, IL 60035
    US
    847-681-9010

Registration Service Provider:
    ResiSoft, Inc.,
    847-681-9010
    This company may be contacted for domain login/passwords,
    DNS/Nameserver changes, and general domain support questions.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    For those having problems with Videosilo.com, here is some info:

Scott Wolf
    c/o ResiSoft, Inc.
    scottwolf@resisoft.com
    P.O. Box 638
    Highland Park, IL 60035 US
    847-681-9010

Report theft to the Highland Park (Ill.) Police Department:
    http://www.cityhpil.com/police/index.html

The BBB for that part of the country:
    BBB Chicago & N. Illinois
    WWW: http://www.chicago.bbb.org
    Email: info@chicago.bbb.org
    Phone: (312) 832-0500
    Fax: (312) 832-9985
    330 N. Wabash, Ste. 2006
    Chicago IL 60611-7621

Maybe even contact the local Chamber of Commerce:
    http://www.ehighlandpark.com

Report misuse of federal post office facilities (theft by means of post office box) to https://www.usps.com/postalinspectors/fraud/MailFraudComplaint.htm
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've been watching VideoSilo for about 2 years now, but lately things don't seem right with them as pricing has fluctuated wildly. In the late summer/fall, they began offering vhs/vhs-c conversions for $3.95/tape, an absolutely rock bottom price. In fact, its so rock bottom it smelled like a last ditch effort to attract business. I assumed at that time that they were desperate. Now, their prices have gone way up...$16.45 per tape for a data DVD (used to be around $9), $17.45 per tape for a DVD menu (that's just for the menu...does not include the price of transfer...), $18.95 per VHS tape, etc... Perhaps another desperate attempt to generate sufficient revenue? I don't know. I'd like to hear what Mr. Wolf has to say...
    Quote Quote  
  29. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    visit SPAM and transfer your home video tapes to dvd. You can get a pretty good conversion at a reasonable price from a lot of places. But what are most of these companies lacking? Care and attention to detail! Other ways you get totally amateurish product done with domestic equipment.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Beware of VIDEOSILO! I'm not very familiar with this site - but I am a big supporter of letting people know when something isn't right - and thankfully, stumbled on this site through a Videosilo search on Google. A few months ago I began an order with Videosilo, attracted by their insanely low prices. The order contained every tape and movie I have and covered over 50 years of memories. The order would have been around $600 - even at $3.95 per transfer on some of the tapes.

I entered the wrong expiration date on my credit card when ordering. I received a phone call within 1 hour to correct it. Once corrected - I waited for supplies to show up. They never did. I repeatedly called and left messages. Repeatedly emailed. After a few weeks, I got a standard reply from a virtual "customer service" department telling me they would reprocess. At this point, prices had changed and had tripled!

I tried to contact them to see if I could still get the original prices I was quoted and NEVER heard from anyone.

It seems there are no people working at this "company". What kind of company doesn't even have an option to get a human being in their phone system? A low-level one for sure. I'm still looking for a good service to transfer my tapes....... any suggestions are welcome. In the meantime, stay away from VideoSilo if you're looking for a professional company to handle things that are important to you!
    Quote Quote