VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !

Poll: Do you customize your dvd's??

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    So do you go all out and make custom menus and custom labels for you dvds? Did you buy a lightscribe burner just so you can do even fancier labels???

Me I just use a shaprie and the standard layout. Though I'm starting to use a few pictures here and there for the background of the menus. Basically though I just make it quick and dirty.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Menus get the most attention. You're forced to interact with them. Make them look nice, make them friendly to use.

DVD case artwork gets the next most attention. It often has various information, some nice images, and it helps you find the disc on the shelf.

DVD labels get almost zero attention. Sticky labels are a bad idea, and the inkjet work runs off and fades in time. Even silkscreen pro work is largely ignored. You have better art and information on the case. People who use wallets already don't care about the discs or artwork/info. Wallets are a poor method of storage. A Sharpie with nice handwriting works just as well as a label.

It's a reverse pyramid of importance.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank Discs • Best TBCs • Best VCRs for capture • Restore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All the DVD's I do for customers and Family, get Menu's,Chapters, and labels on the DVD. The final dvd goes into a slim jewel case. For my personal stuff, I use a Sharpie.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do the whole smash. I create custom menus, custom disc label, custom DVD case insert, all specific to the project. Even if it is just for my family, because they are my most important clients.
    Phil

He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I lose the most time around custom menus...You know...never make the same thing twice...
    I've also noticed many nice menus that incorporate vector paths for simple shapes..It looks very sharp..
    Gonna try and find time to learn Illustrator..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Menus and jacket pictures with DVDA. Fancy boxes with PS. But now... all of this seems to be part of the past. I've got a lot of work to do at the courthouse
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Only DVDs with multiple clips get menus.

All My DVDs go into DVD cases with cover art.

My DivX discs get regular jewel cases with cover art and the unmentionables are stored in slimline cases with coverart and hidden away.
    Music, DVD and DivX are all shelved separately and are alphabetized for easy access.

As mentioned above, a sharpy is all that's needed for the disc since the coverart defines each disc. Besides, the handwriting is my personal touch.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If it is for clients, friends or family, then it gets custom menus (with clients it depends on the package they buy). These can be stills or full motion switched menus.

For personal backups, even of multi-episode discs, I generally skip menus. I can change title, language and subs from the remote - menus just take up valuable space in these instances.

Sharpies for labels on all personal work. Spindle rings for client work.
    Read my blog here.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do the whole work, custom menus, artcover cases and also labels (Avery), never had a problem so far.
    They that give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety. (Benjamin Franklin).
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Depends on what I burn to a dvd.. Lately I have been finishing up anime series then burning them onto DVD for future use because i hate having stuff on my hard drive, weather it is true or not, I believe the more stuff on your HD the slower your comp is.

But what I do, I use my lightscribe drive that came with my laptop make a nice looking label then use nero make a beautiful menu, which only takes around 10min.. and burn.. It is quick and easy to make your DVDs look nice, althought some people don't care how they look but for people like me i love it.

Quote Quote  
  11. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a Sharpie. I don't need to display them. Of course they might look a little better if my handwriting didn't suck.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bodyslide
    All the DVD's I do for customers and Family, get Menu's,Chapters, and labels on the DVD. The final dvd goes into a slim jewel case. For my personal stuff, I use a Sharpie.

Me too, except I use a Casio thermal printer instead of labels.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I make custom menus for myself so I can readily be able to find a track I am looking for rather than continuously hitting the "next" button. I also sometimes make a case label and always make a spine label.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Most of the stuff I do is just for me but I usually go the whole 9 yards anyway. I usually create my own "artwork" from selected frames of the source video for menus, the DVD label (inkjet), and the jacket.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    No - no menu and just a simple sharpie

Never bother with fancy labels or fancy menus. I want to watch a dvd to enjoy the content not bang the bishop over a label/menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I always create custom menus and artwork for my creations. Menu making is one of my favorate parts of the process. I don't care much for disk lables, though.

For dvd backups, who cares about menus............ it's not like it's your material anyway.
    I stand up next a mountain and chop it down with the ledge of my hand........ I'm a Voodoo child.... Jimi Hendrix,
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sharpie
    Quote Quote  
  18. Master of Time & Space Capmaster's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Just a plain B&W label on the CD case. Nothing on the disc
    Quote Quote