VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Thread
  1. Originally Posted by jimmalenko
    Well, you guys are only human and not bots, after all
    So I've passed the test then... Err, I mean - yes, we are only human!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Interesting read. I don't mean to appear to be dense but what's NWS?
    Quote Quote  
  3. It means Not Work Safe, rkr1958. Your work most likely has the same sort of policy making it an offence to post or view certain content that might be sexual or graphic in nature.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I have wondered what that meant too, but never got around to looking it up. Every day is a school day, I suppose.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, the proper acronym (and more widely used, in my experience) is NSFW, Not Safe For Work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Even then, mods can make mistakes from time to time. We're only human!
    Why does an A.I. forum bot want us to think its human?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for clearing that for me.

Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    (NWS, swearing, off-topic behavior)
    Originally Posted by Supreme2k
    Actually, the proper acronym (and more widely used, in my experience) is NSFW, Not Safe For Work.
    Supreme2k, you're just confusing me now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i can't believe the MOD's or Baldrick haven't locked this thread---bunch of bickering fools.........let's all face it, how many people here are hippocrytes???? i.e----how many threads talk about, i don't know, "Netflix" this, "Blockbuster" that----y'all are backing up thier movies, or you wouldn't be complaining about thier services on this forum.....i know i have gone off on a tangent, but, this thrad is downright ridiculous......IMHO...FWIW
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    you have proof of this ?
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    human nature????? common sense????? WAREZ, DVD copying, it is all the same--and wrong...
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by chesterfield
    human nature????? common sense????? WAREZ, DVD copying, it is all the same--and wrong...
    You know there are a zillion LEGAL uses for dvd decrypter and dvd shrink.

Homemade dvds!!! The ones you make yourself from dvd recorders and capture cards.

And once you delete the original recorded file or erase the original rw disc your only choice is to work from the finalized dvd. That involves ripping and then importing.

As far as the "legit" uses for dvdshrink is when you recorded a captured program at too high of a bitrate and need to fit it on a single layer dvd.

So I wouldn't automatically assume a person using one of these programs is using it for nefarious means.

And besides - the rules on this sit allow you to discuss backup procedures for material YOU OWN YOURSELF.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yoda,
    Nice defense, but you are creating an argument where there is none. He mentioned rentals.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

As far as Netflix and BB being topics of discussion, I hate to break it to you cigarette-boy, but they've both been in the news (and in our mail boxes) quite a bit over the last year. The argument (for most) is that they sometimes have to wait a week, or something to that effect, for their next dvd. Netflix has (somewhat) acknowledged this. The rare occasions when people bluntly post about copying rentals, they're blasted by the forum posters, then blasted by the mods.

Your argument makes about as much sense as "If you don't like tax increases, you must be a terrorist!"
    Quote Quote  
  13. chesterfield - this thread has not been locked because it is not out of control. Please don't call users "bickering fools", even if it appears that way to you. Also, please don't make unfounded accusations.

Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Originally Posted by Cobra
    Even then, mods can make mistakes from time to time. We're only human!
    Why does an A.I. forum bot want us to think its human?
    It's all a big cover-up. The machines are taking over. Watch out for black cats that walk past you twice (Matrix).
    Quote Quote  
  14. Why do people that openly admit that they copy rented dvd's on this site get off without even a slap on the wrist, but the person that downloads a dvd without buying gets a warning?

Does anyone else see how messed up this is?

Is this site starting to advocate warez?

https://forum.videohelp.com/viewtopic.php?p=1542780#1542780

This was the thread I was talking about, and when I pointed it out, all that happened was a thanks and the user got no warning whatsoever.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    he got a warning
    "Each problem that I solved became a rule which served afterwards to solve other problems." - Rene Descartes (1596-1650)
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i have not copied ANY RENTAL MOVIES, i was just commenting on all the people who bash BB and netflix as they have soooo much time to watch movies.......
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    guba[dot]com is offering dvdrips for premium users

just point out that this is one place to download legal dvdrips through means of paying
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll tell you one thing: guba's days are numbered. No way is that place legal. Usually places like that think they are protected by some percieved loophole, but they get shutdown when they find out that the "loophole" is not worth the paper it's not printed on.

A company is not going to have dvd "rips" for download. A legit place will have source material directly converted to a more compact form (DivX, Xvid, iPod, etc). I doubt highly they would allow uploads. Why would a business create excess expense?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by killerhex
    guba[dot]com is offering dvdrips for premium users

just point out that this is one place to download legal dvdrips through means of paying
    To the best of my knowledge, the only legal dvdrips available for download are those which the copyright holder makes available, generally by making the material public domain. But then one must wonder why a company would spend (waste) the money to produce a DVD if the material is public domain.

That place looks extremely shady IMHO.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Have we established here that unfounded accusations are to be discouraged?

That a file with "DVDRip" in the title is not necessarily illegal?

That downloading a dvd rip is not necessarily illegal?

That sending a large file using some method other than the postal service is not necessarily illegal?

That there is no "simple, actually" method to determine the contents of a file merely by looking at its name?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    99.9% of the time, it is illegal.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Nelson37
    That a file with "DVDRip" in the title is not necessarily illegal?
    Take out "not necessarily" and you got something there.

Yes, yes it is. It's beyond simple semantics when you combine it with the file name of DVDrip. A DVD is authored from source files (avi, mpg, VIDEO_TS folder, etc.) You do not "rip" your source for download. You serve it as an iso or a smaller format. And you certainly don't author to DVD, rip, THEN convert to Xvid.

Unless they're talking about frameserving, and they're calling it dv-drip

This is one area where all of the dodgy posts can directly be linked to warez. Anything to the contrary, then you start making up hypothetical/fantasy scenarios. If the person in question has a reasonable explanation, they are certainly welcome to give it. They do not need anyone making excuses for them. Like a recent post, if someone is going through the trouble of telling us they ripped a rental, they can give us all the details, without someone offering the lame excuse of "Maybe they're a Netflix employee" We don't need "I just robbed a bank. Where should I hide the money? {20 posts later} Shut up! I'm not a crook! I own the bank!"
    Quote Quote  
  23. Ripping a Rental is real clear. Ripping a Blockbuster disk is not. They sell their old rental disks.

At least one user has stated they regularly use DVDrip in filenames that they themselves created.

Jimmalenko has stated the correct case for a legally downloadable DVDrip.

A company which makes a video targeted to a limited, professional market, sold under a site license to include any number of desired copies, might well grant to the customer the right to reproduce or convert such a disk. This permission given both verbally and in writing would make copying a copyrighted disk a perfectly legal action, as in my previously cited post.

I think I understand the problem now.

It is not necessary for something to make sense to anyone in particular, or to be something they themselves would do, for an action to be perfectly legal and acceptable. Just because you don't like it does not make it a crime.

I have no want, need, or use for pirates, or thieves of any kind for that matter. But before the vigilantes throw the rope around some poor SOB's neck, they should either have extremely clear evidence or else leave the roping to those whose position it is to do it.

I will now rename ErnestBorgnineNude.jpg to NewMovie_DVDRip and E-mail it to anyone who wants one.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I see a problem with sparks flying from grinding that axe ...
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sometimes playing devil's advocate in defense of somebody stupid makes you look like more of a dumbass than the person that said something stupid to begin with.

Just a general statement, not pointing any fingers.

What is needed is quite simple, and that is for common sense to prevail. Moderators here tend to have a good grasp on reality. Not perfect, nobody is, so I don't see any harm in a thread like this, it's an honest question with good intentions. It's actually sort of nice that members care about the site, and want to enforce rules meant to keep it on the up and up.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ripping a Rental is real clear. Ripping a Blockbuster disk is not. They sell their old rental disks.
    But they don't sell them off of a site to download. They sell the actual disc.

At least one user has stated they regularly use DVDrip in filenames that they themselves created.
    And his name is Commandant Liar Liar Pantsonfire
    Jimmalenko has stated the correct case for a legally downloadable DVDrip.
    Which was a hypothetical, which he also disputed.

A company which makes a video targeted to a limited, professional market, sold under a site license to include any number of desired copies, might well grant to the customer the right to reproduce or convert such a disk. This permission given both verbally and in writing would make copying a copyrighted disk a perfectly legal action, as in my previously cited post.
    Besides that being (yet again) a hypothetical scenario, that company needs to help their customer, rather than make them seek VH. Considering the climate everywhere about copyright, the person posting needs to make that clear, though they need not give those specifics in the first place.

I have no want, need, or use for pirates, or thieves of any kind for that matter. But before the vigilantes throw the rope around some poor SOB's neck, they should either have extremely clear evidence or else leave the roping to those whose position it is to do it.
    Then those guys need to post a better "explanation" than "Did I say 'Superman Returns Cam Xvid.avi'? I meant myownhomemovie_which_I_created_but_cant_play_and_d ont_know_the_codecs.avi"

I will now rename ErnestBorgnineNude.jpg to NewMovie_DVDRip and E-mail it to anyone who wants one.
    That's why that download of Cars(cam)_TS.avi from kazawirester was only 26k. I searched everywhere for the right codec.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by lordsmurf
    Sometimes playing devil's advocate in defense of somebody stupid makes you look like more of a dumbass than the person that said something stupid to begin with.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by Nelson37
    Ripping a Rental is real clear. Ripping a Blockbuster disk is not. They sell their old rental disks.
    The thread in question was not about Blockbuster. It was about Netflix, and to my knowledge, Netflix only does rentals.

There is no justification for openly admitting that you copy rentals. That makes you look stupid. It gets you a warning from the mods. It could also get your membership with Netflix revoked and you could also end up paying a hefty fine to the movie industry.

I am not advocating copying rentals, but if you are going to do it, keep your mouth shut.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    The thread in question was not about Blockbuster. It was about Netflix, and to my knowledge, Netflix only does rentals.
    Not true, Netflix sells previously viewed DVDs too.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by rkr1958
    Originally Posted by Dv8ted2
    Not true, Netflix sells previously viewed DVDs too.
    Ok, but my point was that he openly stated that he copied a rental disc.
    Quote Quote