VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an MCE machine with 3 hard drives in it. drive 1 (160gig) and drive 2 (250gig) are on IDE Channel 0 and drive 3 (60gig) is on IDE Channel 2. Drive 3 is partitioned to 5gig and 55gig.

I have the OS installed on drive-3/ partition 1

Previously this was booting with C as d-3/P-1, D as D-1, E as D-2, and F as D-3/P-2. (not sure how this happened, it just did...)

NOW my PC is booting with C=D-1, D=D-2, E=D-3/P-1, and F=D-3/P-2 and I am getting "Error Loading OS"

I have too many files and programs installed to want to re-install anything.

HOW can I re-set my windows so I get C back on D-3/P-1???

Patrick

Windows MCE 2005
    Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 w/4.00gb Ram, INTEL i3-550, 3.2ghz, WIN7 home premium 64bit
    hauppauge 950q, 1600, 1250
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try changing your IDE cables at the motherboard and exchange their two positions. Some MBs are picky about putting the boot on the second IDE channel. You could also assign the drive letters in 'Administrative Tools>Computer Management>Storage>Disk Management'. Right click on the drive and 'Change Drive Letter and Paths'.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Set the boot priority in the BIOS.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The OS prefers to look for the boot drive to be 0,0. It sounds like a good idea to maneuver the boot drive to the first channelasdrive 1 for the most painless fix.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You must have temporarily unplugged one of your drives.

There is no need to make any major changes. It worked before, no need to change the PC dramatically, just need to put it back the way it was before.

Bios will allow changing boot order, Disk manager will allow changing assigned drive letters.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    cant get to "Administrative Tools" as I cant boot the Windows... and I didnt disconnect/unplug anything, it just happened somehow.

I did go into the BIOS and changed the drive boot order, that fixed it and my drives are back to the order they were before. I would go in now and switch the cables but then I would probably have to go into all my programs and reset the drive letters in all my settings - messy. but now it works and I know how to fix the mystery next time...

thanks for the help

Patrick
    Shuttle SH55-J2-BK-V1 w/4.00gb Ram, INTEL i3-550, 3.2ghz, WIN7 home premium 64bit
    hauppauge 950q, 1600, 1250
    Quote Quote