VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Got a friend with a crappy P III, 550mhz, computer, just installed a LG dvdburner, and I set him up with Shrink/Nero OEM 6.0.0.28 settup to introduce him to the delights of backing up his data or video stuff. With the dvdvideo file on the harddrive, open Nero for burn to disc, gets to the point "caching of files completed...", green bar 0-100% goes all green, buffer bars empty...then stays there. Nothing else. Is this a Nero issue with his computer, or something else ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    An OEM version is meant to work only with the drive it was packaged with. That could be the problem. Besides, if you're using Nero 6, you should be at 6.6 or higher. Also, I would not try to burn faster than 2x with only a 550 MHz cpu.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks Prot, I've read this about OEM supposed to work only with the original equipment, but this OEM came with a Sony drive, works ok with a Pioneer drive, works on a Plextor drive, on a laptop Matsushita drive, and with my LiteOn drive, so is it likely to stall on an LG drive ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    There's a topic in Newbie/General Discussion about free burning software. Take a look there. It just could be that your friend's computer power is juts not up to the task of burning DVDs. Some different software will tell you for sure.
    TANSTAAFL
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Dont forget ... the first thing to blow will be the hard drive under that pressure ... been there , done that ... thought a window had been broken next door ... nope , that was the platter's in the hd chucking it in .
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've read at the LG FORUM at cdfreaks.com that some LG drives are power supply sensitive. The power supply may not be sufficient for that LG drive to operate correctly.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, the original problem with my friends' computer seems to have been solved with the installation of his older version of Nero. Thanks for the replies.

One other small point I need to ask with reference to the OEM Nero and my setup. As I said it works fine for my backups, so wot aint broken I don't try to fix, however with dvd-rw's whenever I re-format, either quickie or longie, the rw's seem to crap out, go haywire and seem to become unusable. I was wondering if rw's are just generally unrelable in this sense and crap out real easy, or would this be an issue of Nero, even if its other functions work ok ?
    Quote Quote