VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone tell me what I must do to get my TRV-480 to play it's internal video tape out the firewire port?
    I've successfully used it to convert all my old VHS signal though it to digital out via the firewire, but cant seem to get it to play video i took with it.

no matter what I do, the DV in shows on the monitor, not DV out.

USB out works ok.

I'm certain the firewire port on my computer is working.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    On other models "play" in VCR mode results in tape to DV IEEE-1394 playback. That model may require a menu setting or disconnection of input cables.

Don't use USB. That is only CIF 320x480 at very low bitrate.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well duh.

It's the menu setting that I'm needing.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by StinsonVoyager
    Well duh.

It's the menu setting that I'm needing.
    You have the manual. You have the menu.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    As with any camcorder, the 480 has default modes. For example, in the VTR mode, when a FireWire cable is plugged in its port, it assumes it is going to receive DV in and has to transfer/convert such to analog output. That "DV in" you see is the default state in this scenario. If there is already a prerecorded tape sitting inside, merely hitting PLAY will cause the "DV in" indication onscreen to disappear and for DV ouput from the tape to stream out of the FireWire connector, AND as analog to stream out of the AV connectors. Simple. If, instead, RECORD was hit, the camcorder will inspect where a valid input signal is existing (DV or analog), and will make a recording based on that. DV in from the FireWire takes precedence over analog input (in those silly instances both are present). To make it even more flexible, there is a part of the menu where you can choose to turn DV out ON or OFF when valid analog input signals exist (you might turn DV out OFF so the analog signal just gets digitized as it's recorded on tape, or ON when making the camcorder an A-to-D device in its pass through mode, without a tape).
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OK, that makes sense.. problem is, I'm not getting anything out the firewire when I hit play. I've tried just about every menu option I can think of but no luck yet.
    Anyone who *really* knows about Sony products know the manuals are pretty vague.
    I've been using windows movie maker to capture.

Originally Posted by turk690
    As with any camcorder, the 480 has default modes. For example, in the VTR mode, when a FireWire cable is plugged in its port, it assumes it is going to receive DV in and has to transfer/convert such to analog output. That "DV in" you see is the default state in this scenario. If there is already a prerecorded tape sitting inside, merely hitting PLAY will cause the "DV in" indication onscreen to disappear and for DV ouput from the tape to stream out of the FireWire connector, AND as analog to stream out of the AV connectors. Simple. If, instead, RECORD was hit, the camcorder will inspect where a valid input signal is existing (DV or analog), and will make a recording based on that. DV in from the FireWire takes precedence over analog input (in those silly instances both are present). To make it even more flexible, there is a part of the menu where you can choose to turn DV out ON or OFF when valid analog input signals exist (you might turn DV out OFF so the analog signal just gets digitized as it's recorded on tape, or ON when making the camcorder an A-to-D device in its pass through mode, without a tape).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The 1st thing to do now is to ascertain if that camcorder is OK: whether or not DV out is appearing at the FireWire connector when playing a pre-recorded tape. One way to do this is to link it up with another known good camcorder's FireWire; if the 480 is OK then playback video should appear on the other camcorder's screen. 2nd, after the camcorder is recognized in Windows (as Sony DV camcorder in Imaging devices in device manager) Windows Moviemaker should be set up properly; in Tools>Options>Advanced tab, PAL or NTSC should properly be set. Plugging in a PAL DV camcorder playing a PAL tape will result in no capture/display when WMM is set to NTSC & vice-versa. Lastly, it's easy to get fooled by Sony DV & D8 camcorders: they are good in that they WILL play back properly ANY PAL or NTSC tape (the only consumer camcorder that I'm aware of that does this). If for example you have a TRV480K (NTSC), when it's playing back an NTSC tape, no system indication appears onscreen. When a PAL tape is played back, "PAL" is indicated onscreen. BUT, even if the NLE is set to PAL, NOTHING may still appear in the NLE capture window because it has detected that the connected device is an NTSC device, and therefore WILL ALWAYS output NTSC (doesn't care what Sony devices can do AND are playing back). Even turning off device control doesn't help (WMM & Premiere Pro). About the only cumbersome but necessary thing to do in this case is GET another true PAL camcorder.
    For the nth time, with the possible exception of certain Intel processors, I don't have/ever owned anything whose name starts with "i".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Problem solved.

bent pin on camcorder firewire connector.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    [quote="StinsonVoyager"]......I've successfully used it to convert all my old VHS signal though it to digital out via the firewire......

Pls, this issue u just mentioned above very lightly has been my age-long problem. There's no connection I have not done to get my trv480 work as dv pass thru converting analogue to digital: I am only able to capture the sound playback on d cam LCD but no picture/video shows.

Kindly let me know d setting u adopted. I NEED THIS DESPERATELY.

Pls copy my email being: bj_digitals@yahoo.co.uk
    Quote Quote