VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I'm thinking about finally upgrading my -+r Microadvantage 4x burner. There's nothing wrong with it and I've had for over four years now. Its performed beautifully for a no-namer.

But now that I got cable installed in the room I have my desktop I'm recording and burning a lot more discs lately. The 4x 15 min burn for a full 4gigs is just agonizing. I'm looking for a faster burner. I do have a 100 pack of 16x blanks I can use for a new burner.

I've always read comments about how good PIONEER burners are. What are some good models to look at? I'm thinking of going cheap and try ebay. I'm trying to look in the $30-$50 range.

DUAL LAYER is not necessary. But I wouldn't mind jumping up to the next level now that dual blanks are dropping in price a bit.

So suggestions are welcome. I'm certainly willing to look at older models. Plus right now my current rig has a dvd read only plus my 4x burner. I'm thinking of dumping the dvd read only and replacing it with the new burner so I have two dvd burners. Though I just checked and I do have a third open 5 1/4 bay. How difficult is it to have 3 drives running???
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. You can get burners for the same price or less than ebay at Newegg. I've burned around 4000 discs on an NEC 3500, out of those I had 3 bad burns, one had a bad spot in the dye, another had a pit on the outside edge of the disc, the third had a chip in the disc. All 3 were disc problems, the burner has never made a bad burn.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Newegg. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT -

What about this pioneer - a DVR-111D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129001

It does - and + r DL discs. Is 8x the highest for dl right now?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. my vote goes to NEC too
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well as far as a NEC model that does DL this model looks good at the $35 range like the PIONEER:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827152059

It's the ND-3550A BG OEM.

I have 2 votes for NEC and no PIONEER yet.

I guess I don't really have a preference myself. Though I like newegg since you get free shipping and it will be guarenteed new in the box unlike ebay - so I'm saving $20 at least in shipping this way.

If I don't get more votes I'll probably flip a coin between the nec and Pioneer model.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    NEC I've got two and no complaints.
    Quote Quote  
  7. you may also check the samsung if you want lightscribe

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827151118
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks but I don't really do artsy labeling. Heck I don't even do fancy menu screens. I just do standard templates in TDA and use a sharpie on the disc.

Plus there isn't free shipping on that particular model
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Pioneer 111
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    A finally a vote for PIONEER. Yes that pioneer 111 does look good. I'll keep an eye on this thread for a little while before I commit to buying but both Pioneer and NEC models are about the same price so thats good.
    Quote Quote  
  11. NEC comes with a free CD/DVD wallet
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I don't really need that so its not going to persuade me in this decision But I did notice that, thanks for pointing it out mja.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    i'll give a vote to the pioneer. had two a 103 and a 105, both were excellant. made a mistake and went with a lite-on 16x this time around. i give the lite-on burn quality 2 thumbs down and this one is a replacement for one that made 100% bad burns on all media while reporting success, only problem was NO other drive could read any disc.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok now I'm tied with two votes for Pioneer and two for NEC.

Hmm...... Coin flip time.

Heads - I'm gonna go with the pioneer 111.

Thanks for all the help.

Kevin

EDIT - Its a done deal. I just bought the pioneer 111. I should get it Wednesday, or maybe Thursday. I used the three day shipping but it might take all day monday to get processed and sent out.

I'll keep you updated. Looks like a good deal. Plus I saved money versus ebay since I don't have to tack on shipping and I'm guarenteed this is a brand new drive. Thanks for all the tips.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The NEC is $30 at Tigerdirect.com, if that helps. I'll give it a vote only because I own one- I'm not saying the Pioneer is inferior. As long as you don't try to burn Ritek G05 DVD-Rs, the 3550a seems to burn anything and is fast to load and unload.
    Quote Quote  
  16. The Pioneer isn't riplocked like the NECs are. I have a 111, I use it to read RAM. I've never burned with it, I know I can count on the NEC every time, I don't want any surprises.
    Quote Quote  
  17. how much does the tiger charge for shipping?or is it free? any mail in rebate? they are famous for their mail in rebates
    Quote Quote  
  18. NEC and Pioneer are both very good choices,both with the Japanese NEC chipset.I personally would lean towards buying a NEC ND-4550/4551 after reading the reviews at CDRInfo

I'm quite happy with my LG GSA-4167B's for now but will most probably be getting a NEC ND-4551 or the newer 4571 very soon,to go with them.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
  19. I agree with laspis59 - NEC/Pioneer - they're both good. I think the Pioneer firmware support is better. I have all 3 drives mentioned in this thread (NEC 3550 - Pioneer 111 - LG GSA 4167B). The Pioneer would get my vote for the best all around burner of the three. It's not necessarily the best at everything but it does everything well. I have no experience with the NEC 4551/4571 models but I have heard some unhappy campers with those over at the NEC forum of CDFreaks.com. Not sure if it amounts to anything, but I would do some research on those models before considering them as an option.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by OneSickPup
    I have no experience with the NEC 4551/4571 models but I have heard some unhappy campers with those over at the NEC forum of CDFreaks.com. Not sure if it amounts to anything, but I would do some research on those models before considering them as an option.
    Thanks for letting me know,I'll have a look at the CDFreaks NEC Forum and browse the internet for more info on these more recent NEC's.

Does any members on this forum have any problems with these NEC models if your reading this
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by yoda313
    Newegg. Thanks for the suggestion.

EDIT -

What about this pioneer - a DVR-111D:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16827129001

It does - and + r DL discs. Is 8x the highest for dl right now?
    Since you're debating between a NEC & PIONEER my suggestion is to get the PIONEER 111D. I bought mine a month ago from Best Buy for $36.00. The one thing I do like about this drive is it can be crossflashed to a PIONEER 111L firmware 8.19 using THE DANGEROUS BROS. firmware. With that crossflashing you'll be able to have bitsetting for DVD+R single layer discs. As we all know PIONEER doesn't support bitsetting to DVD+R single layer discs but using that hacked firmware will allow it. I've had no problems with the drive.

I'd also suggest BENQ 1650/1655. The 1655 is a lightscribe drive which is the only difference. Before ordering your drive wait until tomorrows Sunday ads because you may get a better deal from COMPUSA, BEST BUY or OFFICE DEPOT. I got my PIONEER 111D from BEST BUY with a $40.00 instant savings and a online coupon for a additional 12% off.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by budz
    Since you're debating between a NEC & PIONEER my suggestion is to get the PIONEER 111D
    Well actually I did buy the pioneer 111. I'll get it this week. And $36 with free shipping is a pretty good price for a DL burner in my opinion.
    Quote Quote  
  23. Hey laspis59 - here's a thread that details quite alot about the 4571:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=168769&highlight=4571
    Quote Quote  
  24. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Would this happen to be the same model as the 111?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I will not swear to it since many feature details are not provided by the site, but I think it is. The DVR-111 is also known as the DVR-710.

I am a little leery of this site since they do not use a valid manufacturer part # and they do not list all the specifications. Plus, it ain't a bargain, seeing as it's only $41 at Shop4tech.com and they ship to Canada.

http://www.shop4tech.com/?go=view_item&id=4962&r=274
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by OneSickPup
    Hey laspis59 - here's a thread that details quite alot about the 4571:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=168769&highlight=4571
    Thanks again OneSickPup,you saved me wasting my money on that junk.

Well I most definitely wont buy the 4571,the burn quality is absolutely crap compared to my LG GSA-4167B.

I'm starting to get very put off with the NEC drives.You would think that the newer model would be excellent compared to the older ones,instead NEC are going downhill and haven't released any new firmware to fix the issues decribed in that link.

Update:After reading more about the NEC ND-4571,I think it's definitely all down to firmware.It needs updating and the write strategies improved.

I may consider buying the Pioneer DVR-111 instead.
    ~Luke~
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CrayonEater
    I will not swear to it since many feature details are not provided by the site, but I think it is. The DVR-111 is also known as the DVR-710.

I am a little leery of this site since they do not use a valid manufacturer part # and they do not list all the specifications. Plus, it ain't a bargain, seeing as it's only $41 at Shop4tech.com and they ship to Canada.

http://www.shop4tech.com/?go=view_item&id=4962&r=274
    The Retail version of the PIONEER 111D is the PIONEER 710. It's not listed on PIONEER's website but I bought one from BEST BUY a month ago. On the drive itself it does say PIONEER 111D but the box reads PIONEER 710.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well I got my 111 today. Looks good

However I think I took the easy way out trying to install it. I used the slot where my factory installed dvdrom/cdwriter combo was. It was set to master and I made sure the 111 was configed to master. Then I swapped out the drives.

It doesn't show up in my dvd burning programs (roxio). It turns on and the drive opens but it won't load a dvd movie or recognize a blank dvd.

Now I didn't do anything to the original setting of the drive. I just shut down and swapped the units.

I tried loading the firmware from pioneers website but it says target not found.

What am I missing?

EDIT - I figured it out. I had set it to master but my dvd drive that I pulled was set to "cable select". So I shutdown and pulled the drive out and swapped the settings and plugged it back in. BOOM! It read it just fine.

I'll report in later on how I like it. Plus I'll have to buy some DL blanks now
    Quote Quote  
  29. @yoda313

Good luck with the new drive. I think you will find it to be a good reliable all-around drive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    hope for the best. pioneer has dumped the dvdr business and will no longer be making them. the 111 is probably the last.
    http://news.portalit.net/fullnews_Pioneer-Dumps-DVDs,-Focuses-On-Blu-ray_1624.html
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote