VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. does anyone here use directv's dvr?

i've had their satellite service (chinese programs) for many years and i'm considering upgrading to their dvr. i want to know if their dvr is capable of allowing the user to specify the recording time bc their on-screen schedule is very off (either earlier/later than listed, or the program name is different that what is actually being broadcasted). so i'd like to have the ability to specify the recording time so i can advance the start time and extend the end time.

i currently have 1 tri-lnb satellite dish with 1 receiver. this receiver will remain, but i want to add a dvr to a different room with the capability of recording two programs at the same time. so that means i would need to run 2 additional cables into my house right?

anyone with additional details is very much appreciated. thanks!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, the R15 allows you to set a manual timer.

It is a piss poor excuse for a DVR though, the Directv+Tivo unit and the Dish Network DVR are much better DVR's.
    Quote Quote  
  3. i contacted directv.. they said there will be a 2 year commitment for the dvr, or $300 etf. i wonder if my contract isn't over and i moved, would i be able to take my contract to my new residency and finish the remaining contract term. ???
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yeah, DirecTV is always trying to lure you in to a new contract.

You might want to take a look at Dish Network before you take the dip with DirecTV, especially if you've never had them before. They're usually cheaper and make excellent offers on equipment to new customers.
    Quote Quote  
  5. i've heard of dish network, but i don't think they offer the chinese programs that directv does.. so i don't think dish network is an option for me.

i've considered getting a tivo instead of directv's dvr, but i cannot record 2 channels simultaneously with a tivo, which directv's dvr can do.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think this is Dish Network's Chinese package.

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/programming/international/packages/indexpackage.asp...geType=Chinese

You may want to look in to purchasing a used DirecTV+Tivo box, you will have to make sure prior to purchase that the previous owner of the box paid their bill, so that their is not an outstanding balance on the account. Otherwise you can't use it, or you'll have to pay for it. The DirecTV+Tivo is a really nice box, along with being able to upgrade the unit and various other great hacks & features, it has a dual tuner as well.
    Quote Quote  
  7. does anyone know if the directv plus dvr r15 allows the user to manually set the time or does it have to be set by category, title, etc? because i watch international programming, the on-screen guide is very off. the time and program name is incorrect, so i'd like to advance the start time and extend the end time so that i would not miss anything. anyone knows if this is possible?

also, the dvr requires 2 year commitment. if i move before the contract is over, can i carry the contact to my new residency and continue the contact? if so, will i continue from where i left off or would a new 2-year contact apply on top of the remainder of the contract?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM

You can set a manual timer, here is how.

Press "Menu" button on remote, select "Settings", select "Scheduler", select "Manual", then set the specific channel/start time/duration/etc..

I don't believe DirecTV will extend your contract if you move, that only happens when you add something major to your account or take part in one of their promotions.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Visit www.dbstalk.com and www.dbsforums.com.

dbstalk has a forum devoted to DirecTv DVRs SD or HD. DBSforums also has a DVR forum.

I'd go their and read through those forums. The DirecTv, Non Tivo Dvrs seem to have some problems.

At work they like the dishnetwork package referenced above. DIsh even has a HD DVR that can record 200hours of SD and feed two different channels to two TVs.

IOW it has dual tuners so you can record/watch two different channels or record two channels and play back to two Tv sets two different previously recorded videos. It can also record OTA HD content. No recording OTA SD content though.
    Quote Quote