VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I was recently in my local Wal-Mart, and I noticed that the blank DVD section was severely limited, compared to what it used to be. They used about one-fourth of the previous shelf space, and the selection of brands was much less, seeming to concentrate almost exclusively on Memorex. I could no longer find the Verbatim DVD+R DL disks that I occasionally bought there. I asked a clerk what happened, and she said that "headquarters" had mandated they carry less stock and concentrate on just "a couple" of reputable brands (Memorex? ew). I didn't ask here what level of "headquarters" had mandated this, so I thought I would ask here if anyone had noticed anything similar in their local Wal-Mart.
    Anybody seen or heard anything?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Wallyworld's selection of media has pretty much always been crap for as long as I can recall. I found my 100ct spindles of Verbatim discs on sale at Sams Club several years ago and have rarely even gone down that aisle at Wallyworld since.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    All "Wallyworlds" as you call them, must be different from each other, then. At my local Wal-Mart I have been able to buy Maxell DVDs and Verbatim DVD +R Dual Layer disks, as well as Sony disks and sometimes other good-quality brands as well.
    Despite Wal Mart's reputation for selling crap, which in the case of some items is a valid reputation, I have never found their media to be crappy. That is, until they recently started to carry a high percentage of Memorex.
    If I go down an aisle in Wal Mart and see that they have crap there, I don't necessarily always avoid that aisle, never to go back again. However, like I said, the local Wal Mart's media has not been crap in the past, anyway.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I used to find MADE IN JAPAN MAXELL & SONY at my local Wallyworlds. Lately I've only seen MADE IN JAPAN MAXELL printables. I once had Wallyworlds pricematch COMPUSA for SONY DVD MEDIA. The poor Wallyworlds clerk said, "well I can't give it to you like COMPUSA, buy one get one free". I told her I only wanted one spindle and got it for $14.99. I didn't mind getting just one spindle since it was one that said MADE IN JAPAN and the rest of the spindles on the shelf were all MADE IN TAIWAN.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes I'm sure that they likely do vary somewhat from regional market to market, but I'm just relaying my own personal experiences in the greater Tampa/St Petersburg-Clearwater area.
    "There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon." -- Raoul Duke
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Just read WM will soon open it's computer parts dept where you can build your own box....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by zoobie
    Just read WM will soon open it's computer parts dept where you can build your own box....
    Could you post a link where you read that from?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Apparently Memorsux bought the aisle space. Happens every day.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    A week or so ago I was looking for mini CDs for my still cam at WallyWorld and that was the day of the change over round these parts I guess. The shelves were bare for alot of computer related stuff it seemed and what they did have was being relocated to different areas of the store.

I am not a big time WallyWorld fan, but it would seem that you could run in and get something as simple as disks and find a half way decent selection, but that just ain't the way it is anymore. Hell, the parking lot is like a mad house and a major pain to me.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    We could all drop them a line and tell them what DVD media's the best I suppose...but I saw a special on WM about a year ago and they really chew down mfg's to get a rock bottom price to increase profit.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Our local walmarts always have a good selection of media. We also already have a build-your-own PC station in the store.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My Wal-Mart is also now stocking about 75% memorex media. It doesn't really affect me for regular dvd-r's since I always buy those in bulk online. The one thing that bugs me is that they haven't had any Verbatim DVD+R DL discs in stock for a couple of months. There is an empty space for them on the shelf, they just never have any. I usually buy Verbatim DL Media when Best Buy puts them on sale every now and then, but since there is no BB in my immediate area it was convenient to stop by Wally World and pick up a pack if I ever ran out. Their price was fairly reasonable if I was in a pinch - less than $10 for a 3-pack in jewel cases. Their Price was also good for the rare times I need to pick up a pack of DVD-RAM media (also less than $10 for a 3-pack in jewel cases, and not much more for a 5-pack in Amaray cases), but those seem to have disappeared too.

Right now, they have a clearance rack where they are clearing out a lot of Non-Memorex media (both dvd and cd - but the prices are still much higher than you can buy TY discs for online). So it looks like there really is some weird deal where memorex is taking over Wal-Mart's blank disc selection.

Roy
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The only media that my WALMART ever carried that I thought was worthwhile was the old days of the yellow top MAXELL "Made In Japan" 4x DVD-R discs. Once those went by the wayside I found that I never bought any discs from WALMART again (although I did buy a nice cheap 5 pack of Maxell 2x DVD-RW discs for like $7.00 that have turned out to be decent).

Now I pretty much just buy Verbatim 16x DVD-R when they are on sale (which seems to happen mostly at BEST BUY or OFFICE MAX) or I buy Taiyo Yuden 8x DVD-R from RIMA.COM

I haven't been to a WALMART recently to comment on recent stock of DVD media.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    your right couple of weeks ago i go to walmart to get some discs and everything was changed. theres only one section with limited dvdrs.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Our local Wal-Mart store has many boxes (4 spools per box) of the 50 pc. spools of Sony 8X TY "Made In Japan" + and - Rs that people say are disappearing from store shelves. I bought another spool just last night. They had a whole skid worth a few months ago but some of it got sent back to the main distribution point. Still plenty enough to last me for many months at the rate I use them up....
    Quote Quote  
  16. I saw this post yesterday and asked my walmart manager, "my daughter" and she said that walmart is getting ready for inventory and corporate says, limit shelve space to make inventory easier. I didn't ask why they limit to memorex but I will today.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SKRILLA
    your right couple of weeks ago i go to walmart to get some discs and everything was changed. theres only one section with limited dvdrs.
    DVDs are last years technology. HD Discs will soon be replacing them.
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by ROF
    Originally Posted by SKRILLA
    DVDs are last years technology. HD Discs will soon be replacing them.
    I do not see that happening for several years, because they are too expensive to be in mainstream places like Wal-Mart.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    My local Wal-Mart carried $18 Single Layer DVD Discs back in the day. They also still carry $25 zip discs media.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Originally Posted by ROF
    My local Wal-Mart carried $18 Single Layer DVD Discs back in the day. They also still carry $25 zip discs media.
    8)
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  21. An update to this. Did you check over by the players/recorders of dvd? I was in WalMart Monday and looking at the newer recorders, and lo and behold! on a shelf by those devices was a pretty good selection of DVD's. Maxell, Imation, Memorex, and Fuji I think. But they are there, they have not limited to amount, just moved them. Seller trick, move media more sightable situation and people will buy.
    Quote Quote