VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Anyone? Can't seem to play them on my WMC or WMP...and they are annoying as always cos the help centre doesn't really help. I'm always unable to download the codec directly.
    Thanks all...
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I think I used to use Nokia Media Player or something similar to play these. Although, I *think* Nero Showtime can play them also.
    If in doubt, Google it.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Immortal25, since this is video related and not 'Off Topic', moving you.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Quicktime will play 3GP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ...but last time I tried, there was some kind of QT plugin needed to play 3gp. But then again, that was some time ago...

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry for wrong section...wasn't sure about codecs...lol Thanks for moving.

Hmm I use klite codec pack...so I've installed quicktime alternatives and stufff...it couldn't play. Weird...last time it did...I recently reformat my pc and all has gone screwy I'll try reinstalling the codecs...
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ffdshow together with Gabest's or Haali's mp4 splitter should be able to handle it. ffdshow can decode aac, amr, h.263, mp4v and avc1. Maybe also ttext subs. So basically everything that is 3gp.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Hmm I use klite codec pack
    It wouldn't surprise me if that is part of your problem right there. Codec packs have a bad habit of corrupting good codecs, installing bad codecs and generally messing up the whole system, especially when you already have some working codecs installed. Do a all forum search for 'codec packs' and you might decide to never install one again.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I ran into the same problem, probably because I installed one too many codecs.
    I uninstalled all of the codecs and just installed FFDSHOW and QuickTimeAlt.
    Still it wouldn't play the 3gp's.

I eventually tracked it down to an incorrect setting in the registry where it defined the wrong hex Filters for 3gp.
    I went into Regedit and deleted the Key (and everything below):
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\Media Type\Extensions\.3gp
    Then in Windows Explorer, I did an 'Open With' on the 3gp file and re-associated the 3gp with WMP.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    It's well over a year now since I posted this lol But anyways, if I don't use codec packs...i have to install the codecs individually? That's quite stressful as soemtimes WMP won't dl them properly..
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Immortal25
    if I don't use codec packs...i have to install the codecs individually? That's quite stressful as soemtimes WMP won't dl them properly..
    Yes. That's the way. Like if you want to open a Word document, and don't have Word. What do you do? Go for "J-Light All Document Viewers Ever Devised Pack"? Or to Microsoft for the Word Viewer?
    ...and WMP has, during 15 years of use, never ever succeded in correctly identifying and installing a codec for a video it couldn't play to begin with. Better do it yourself.

/Mats
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    ...and WMP has, during 15 years of use, never ever succeded in correctly identifying and installing a codec for a video it couldn't play to begin with.
    Good point. I find it searches a lot myself, but never seems to succeed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Indeed! It never succeeds...and that's why I sometimes have trouble finding the right codec for it hence the need for codec packs..
    lol I understand what you mean...you can't have it all in one go...sometimes it's best to individually get the stuff...but then that's why windows is like a pack itself... with internet browsing, media player etc etc...it's always good to have a good pack.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Immortal25
    it's always good to have a good pack.
    Unless the pack is a 6 of beer, I disagree Seriously, if a video file wont play - load it in GSpot, and let it tell you what codec(s) are neded. Download the latest build of the codec GSpot indicates (the Tools list here is a good starting point for finding where to DL a particular codec) and install it.
    Pretty soon, your system will be equipped with all codecs you need, and nothing else. For video playback, ffdshow on its own goes a really long way.

/Mats
    Quote Quote