VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I Have a Toshiba Divx player that plays most Xvid/Divx...

However something must be off in the encoding of a few and I'd like to pin down the properties of the ones that work versus the ones that don't. They all play on the computer, however I bought the Divx player so I am not stuck watching on a 17" Screen as well as being able to take to the other player upstairs.

some problem files just say not supported and a few just say loading forever.

So I'm guessing that some setting was used it doesn't like. I know supports Qpel & GMC of some sort. GSpot doesn't give me enough information as I see it so I'm wondering if there is another program that can tell me all the properties of the AVI file. Or maybe GSpot is telling me and I'm just not catching the problem. GSpot 2.5 Beta 8

Media Info and Video Inspector aren't giving me the detail I am looking for.

Many Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    gspot will let you know what the video and audio is ... look at bitrate's .

Next come's "how you burned them?" ...

As with all media , getting quality is becoming an increasing issue , what with tdk chucking in the towel ... verbatim should pose no issue .

Burn avi to cd ... data cd that is , and it should work ... if not , something in video or audio is the problem .

Dvd media come's in a few flavour's ... beware of dl's , + , and rw type's ... some player's have issue's ... stick with dvd-r and 4x burning .

========================

Back to avi :

For mine , it's xvid with mp3 audio ... as converted via vdub .

Video resize is determined using nero's re-encode tool ...

I then take this info to vdub .

Video is resized to same .
    Audio compression is set to mpeg layer 3 at 48kbit/s , 24,000 hz , stereo , 6kbs
    Video bitrate require's a little judging ... but never lower than 1200 in xvid ... no other change's made .
    Save as avi and watch output .

After a few minute's an average final size will say over or under 700mb's , if over , stop , change video bitrate to lower value , and save avi ... overwrite old avi and go again .

File is burnt to cdr ... play's on all dvd home player's suporting divx / mpeg4 .

If I take the time ... dualpass encoding is done to improve final output .
    Quote Quote  
  3. Well They are burned to DVD (Verbatim) so I'm thinking something in the encoding settings. I have a DVD with three not playing AVIs and I figure if I can get all the settings from tghem and compare against the ones that do Play I'll be able to know what videos to recreate without wasting the time and disc burning them to find they do not play.

I'm sure it is something in the Video settings.

Thanks

So you arer just creating a straight Xvid with MP3 nothing fancy then. Sort of a plain Vanilla Xvid?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Further investigation leads me to say hmmm....

No Qpel/GMC if I'm reading GSpot properly. NVOP & BVOP (?) there. So tried running files through mpeg4 corrector and unpack bitstream no difference. (If I have the terms slightly off, I'm working from memory here at work.

I'd love to know why these files I tried last night just show loading forever. Same Batch of DVDs (Verbatim) play OK withy other Divx/Xvids so I believe I can eliminate the media and the fact that I'm doing DVD.

Now that I have hit this problem I will be obsessed until I figure out why. I know I could just go back re-encode using a Divx Home Theatre profile and probably be fine but inquiring minds want to know why.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote