VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm tasked to covert our Flight Safety DVD training DVDs to WMV using a specific profile for use on our intranet website.

I have TMPEnd Author 1.8 registered to convert the DVD VOBs to MPEG4 and Media Encoder 9 to convert those MPEG4s to WMV (it has to be this format meh)

Because of the amount of DVDs I have to convert I wanted to run my three machines to get these done sooner but running into an annoying problem I can't figure out.

One machine runs the process flawlessly and quick enough, a P4 3.8G but my AMD 64bit 3200 and my P4 3.2G laptop won't do the process properly..

Here's what the error I am encountering.

While TMPEng is coverting the VOBs to the full size, Encoder will ONLY process the first 30 secs of the MPEG4 file. If I run Media Player on the MPEG4 file, it will only play the first 30 secs. However, if I use Nero's Media Player, it will play the whole thing, so I know TMPEng is converting the whole DVD, not just 30 secs.

At first I thought it was a nasty trick by Microsoft software not wanting to play fair with a non-Intel CPU but the problem happens on the P4 laptop as well.

If I re-edit the VOB file with TMPEng to remove the first 30 secs of the video (Official Military hellos etc) then it will process the whole works properly, but gees, what a process..

What is my 3.8G machine doing differently than the other two?

The only thing different is that TMPEng was originally installed on the 3.8G machine, and I couldn't find the install file for TMPEng Author so I simply copied over the whole folder.. I've scouring my backup files for the install file to no avail and the only thing I could find at Pegaus was the new v2.0 but not the 1.8 version I have.. Could it be that I need to 'install' the program and not just copy it over?
    Any ideas?

Thanks in advance if you can spot my error..

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  2. Copying a windows program rarely works. A couple of antispyware such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Pest Patrol programs can be copied and the older AOLs would just reinstall themselves when copied but that is about it.

I have no idea where you got a 1.8 version? The last I heard TMPGEnc DVD author was 1.5, 1.6 or 2.0.

Are you sure about that version?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    Copying a windows program rarely works. A couple of antispyware such as Spybot Search & Destroy and Pest Patrol programs can be copied and the older AOLs would just reinstall themselves when copied but that is about it.

I have no idea where you got a 1.8 version? The last I heard TMPGEnc DVD author was 1.5, 1.6 or 2.0.

Are you sure about that version?
    Aww gees, you know you're working too long when you can't even get the version number right..

It's Version 1.6.34.89 I can't find an install file for that one as well (blush). I always back up the progs I buy but darn if I can find this one.. I've emailed Pegasys but guessing I'd have the work done before I get a reply or an offer to 'upgrade'..

Thanks for the reply (no idea why I thought I had 1.8)
    Quote Quote  
  4. http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html

It is the same version you mention actually. From the Website "Limitation: This version is freely usable for 30 days. After this period, a valid Serial Number key is necessary to unlock the software and use it."

Hope this helps.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    http://tmpgenc.pegasys-inc.com/en/download/tda16.html

It is the same version you mention actually. From the Website "Limitation: This version is freely usable for 30 days. After this period, a valid Serial Number key is necessary to unlock the software and use it."

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I did manage to find the proper file and installed it but still end up with the same same problem..

Thought TMPEnc 1.6 will convert the whole thing to MPEG4, only the first 30 secs is visable to Media Player and encodes only the first 30 secs while Nero player will show you the whole thing.

At this point, I'm at a loss.. I've checked my settings, all the system are Windows XP updated etc.. But dang.. it ain't working properly..

How about another VOB to MPEG4 converter? Anything out there that works? I tried "Super" but the files I tried keep coming up with install errors.. gah..
    Quote Quote