VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3
Thread
  1. I had an old Sony 20" colour TV that was made in 1972, it was still working in 1990. Today you are lucky if you get 10 years out of a TV set.

As to the lines I was refering to the PAL european TV format not the resolution(sp?). And of course most movies are released in widescreen so most of those visible lines are just black unless the movie is in squeezed format.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'll join the players of the prediction game.

DVD isn't going away whilst the battle betweeen Blue-ray and HD-DVD is raging.

If Blue-Ray appears to be winning the existing manufacturers of DVD drives, and media will pump up their production to make both Blue-Ray and HD-DVD die.

If HD-DVD appears to be winning, they will gradually move a portion of their production to HD-DVD, as their profit picture allows.

The studios are not in control.
    The members of the various groups pledged to each media are not in control.
    The Japanese electronics firms are not in control.
    The public has little influence.

Consumer adoption of HDTV in the US has been extremely slow. This is why the FCC has had to set a date for discontinuence of analog transmission, and why the congress has legislated a subsidy for set top converters. Like the film industry, the TV industry suffers from declining viewership.

Further acting as a brake on HDTV is alternative delivery systems. At a point where the industry tries to sell HD, you see Ipod and cell phone delivery of crappy little images of TV shows. And they require a fraction of the investment HDTV does on the part of the consumer. Hence he can be "cool" without spending a bundle.
    LG, Samsung and Lite-ON will have more influence than any of the above. They control the floodgates of existing DVD product and can alter price and availablity according to their business needs.

Similarly the production of DVD media is not in the hands of the waring tribes. Since Blue-ray requires greater process changes than HD-DVD expect similar behavior from the folks in Taiwan and Singapore who are producing the vast majority of the media,
    Quote Quote  
  3. I am going to hedge my bet closer to HD-DVD winning the format war as the players are backward compatible with DVD.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Good God people, it's all about content!

If there ain't no content, most people are not going to run out and buy a new HDTV or blueray or HDDVD player. Period. Why do you think Congress needs to force manufacturers to equip their TVs with digital tuners by a certain date? Because manufacturers do want to put them in because the consumer isn't DEMANDING them. You can already get digital TV service from your cable provider or sattelite provider but most americans could careless. Ditto for HD.

The only way you are going to get people to replace their current generation of equipment is by putting content out there. Which means more HDTV programming. Which means more HD DVDs. Once the content is out and non-HD content starts to dwindle then people will buy.

Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, kind of back to the OP and then off on a tangent.

Either they are getting out soon or it has been debunked, it doesn't matter, in time it will all be history. (Maybe it is all part of a plot to keep people from making their own copies of movies)

Truthfully I am suprised that it has gone on for as long as it has, a physical and partly mechanical media that is. I would have bet the farm that there would have been some sort of solid state media going mainstream by now. Moving parts and electronics just don't make sense to me. High quality, wireless interface non-moving storage and retrieval has to be just around the corner and all revovable storage will be out the door.
    IS IT SUPPOSED TO SMOKE LIKE THAT?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Moving parts and electronics just don't make sense to me. High quality, wireless interface non-moving storage and retrieval has to be just around the corner and all revovable storage will be out the door.
    Funny you should say that. I have noticed a number of cable companies beginning to offer DVR services where the company stores the recordings, i.e., you don't have a box anymore. You would access recorded programs just like you had the box at your home but the "box" would be off-site.

The storage potential would be huge. It's an interesting idea.

Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by ROF
    Where? I can not buy VHS tapes anywhere within 100 mile radius. I can buy them for online retailers but walmart don't have them, target don't have them, video city don't have them, blockbuster don't have them. Nobody sells them anymore. Our local walmart doesn't even sell VCRs anymore. If you want a VHS you need to buy a DVD player that has a VHS slot built into the same unit and they only have one of them. Circuit city is the same way although you can catalog order a VHS unit for $119.
    What? I don't think so.

Grocery stores, gas stations, retail stores ... VHS tapes are all over the place still. You must not be looking in the right place. Wal-mart, Best Buy, Circuit City, Tager ... they all have tapes True, less of them now, but still several options to pick from. TDK, Fuji, JVC and RCA are the common ones these days. TDK and JVC are good tapes, so that's plenty fine.

Wal-mart, Circuit City, Best Buy .. they all have VCRs still. Maybe only 2-3 models, but they still exist. Usually Sony, JVC and Panasonic (good!) and GE and other no-names (bad!).
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  8. I think he meant prerecorded tapes, which Target and Walmart quit selling awhile back.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Oh, I see. Well, even those are still available. The Walmart I was in today had more VHS tapes than DVD sets. It was a store in a rural town, but still, they exist.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am with Lordsmurf on finding VCR tapes everywhere, the last batch I bought was from the grocery store.

What was hard for me to find in a brick and mortar store was the mini CDs that my camera uses. I bought the last 5 pack at Staples and the last 10 pack at Comp USA. I went to three walmarts. two targets and an Office depot. I was in panic mode! I had an out of town business trip the other day and all of my disk were full
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Oops, my bad. I thought we were talking blanks too.

But hey, check out the Dollar stores. They have prerecorded tape at about the price most of them are worth, a buck!

It may be the writting on the wall, but most of the prerecorded tapes that I see these days are in the bargin bin.
    Quote Quote  
    drifting, somewhere on the Sea of Cynicism
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TBoneit
    ROF, Lets see why I won't be buying these.

Projector = High Maint costs (Bulb usually)
    Plasma = Short Life as they lose brightness
    LCD = Need to buy expensive to get decent viewing angle and fast enough pixels. Back liight costs to repair, inverter can go bad etc.
    RPTV, New models may be better but as I recall older models needed periodic adjustments.

For my usage pattern the 32" TV on the swivel base fits my needs the best.

I stand ready to be corrected of course.

But for what my life experience shows me a picture tube model is in my future unless they discontinue them, a not impossible scenario.
    We have a bottom line agreement, so far. You did not mention DLP, though . . . .
    Quote Quote  
  13. DLP will have bulbs too. The TV makers are addressing the issue with the development of LED light sources. It is about the same route about the new LED traffics light vs the old traffics light.
    Quote Quote  
  14. DLP didn't even occur to me as it is a newer technology. Projectors have been around for years and years. I even remember going to a theatre in New Brunswick NJ and seeing a Videotape of the Broadway production of O Calcutta that was evidently Videotaped On Broadway and they were projecting it on the theatre screen with a projector set up in the seats. 3 fairly large projection tubes (R G B). I couldn't get a close look but I'm suspecting three CRTS, one for each color.

Later on that same video surfaced on a VHS release. Shame they don't do that with all the Broadway shows and then release them after the run ends. I saw the King & I, Evita, Best Little Whorehouse, Godspell, Hair and many more back before they priced themselves out my price range with ticket prices, parking etc.

I wonder how well LEDs hold up in the long run? I have seen them in Walk/Don't walk signs and even as a replacement for Neon signs. You should hear my brother complain about wiring a LED sign, he'd rather bend and process true Neon for signs. If they can be cost competitive and have good life they'd be good as a relacement for lights on the car excluding headlights.
    Quote Quote  
  15. LEDs generally last a long time and they use a fraction the power of a regular light bulb. They are installed in traffic lights for that reason. With dozens or hundreds of lights in a city, the energy savings would be substantial.
    Quote Quote