VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. As title states looking for a divx/xvid dvd player with emphasis on divx/xvid capabilities. The Phillips 5140 seems to be a likely candidate but someone mentioned that the Pioneer DV-383 was also good as well. I'm looking for something with a new chipset/ will support the latest encodes and under $100 cdn which is ~$90 usd. I'm not a hardcore user but just looking for something good/cheap that will play my movies/tv shows and movies with subs.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I will go for the Pioneer or the Liteon recorder/divx player (it was $99 few weeks ago at
    bestbuy) I owned the Philips before (642) it was the worst player ever from bad quality build,
    freezing with retail and divx movies(it was more than heat issue), and on top of that it came with 3 months warranty so that tells you a lot about a company that doesn't stands behind their products. You can also check amazon.com and see the old reviews. the 1st thing you read Dead after 3 months. Dead after 5 months…….you may find happy owners who get ez satisfied with any low quality crap(they will post here soon ). whatever you choose. STAY AWAY FROM PHILIPS
    Quote Quote  
  3. PHILIPS is Best.. :P
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    philips 5140 period.
    Quote Quote  
  5. philips lovers are stilll inside the MATRIX
    Quote Quote  
  6. which model liteon would you recommend? or any other non - phillips brand ?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Look at the Toshiba SD3990. $60 US. It's an excellent Divx/Xvid player.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by LloydAZ
    Look at the Toshiba SD3990. $60 US. It's an excellent Divx/Xvid player.
    I'll second that. I bought two, one for Living room and one for basement TV.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Has anyone done an in-depth on the Toshi? How does it handle Qpel? I was just about ready to buy the LG LD-531, when it was discontinued and replaced by the inferior LD-731.
    Quote Quote  
  10. 5960 has more features than 5140.
    Quote Quote  
  11. I have been VERY pleased with my Avayon DXP-1000. Bought a refurb unit for myself as a test, and bought a new unit for a family member.

www.avayon.com

Bonus (of sorts): Has karaoke feature, although some have reported the need to disable the karaoke feature to prevent some "stuttering" of playback. I have not had this problem at all.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by handyguy
    5960 has more features than 5140.
    Agreed. I bought it for the USB port. Great feature...
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by CobraPilot
    I have been VERY pleased with my Avayon DXP-1000. Bought a refurb unit for myself as a test, and bought a new unit for a family member.

www.avayon.com

Bonus (of sorts): Has karaoke feature, although some have reported the need to disable the karaoke feature to prevent some "stuttering" of playback. I have not had this problem at all.
    Bought one as well, cant wait for it to get here. If they added a usb port it would be the best player on the market.
    Quote Quote