VideoHelp Forum

Try DVDFab and download streaming video, copy, convert or make Blu-rays,DVDs! Download free trial !
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey everyone

I have recently recorded a conference with my mp3 player, unfortunately I had to record it from where I was sitting so it caught alot of background noise and applauding which created alot of peaks in the file.

Is there a way to "level out" everything to a maximum volume? I'm using Cool Edit 2000 and the normalize feature, but it doesnt do a whole lot, it just lowers or amplifies the whole thing. Unless I'm not using the settings right...

Here's a screenshot of the current waveform unedited:
    http://img413.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waveform14aj.jpg

What I would like to do is somehow have a "ceiling" implemented, when I amplify the quiet part (the actual presentation) that the volume wont go over a certain volume.
    Heres a picture I made of how I want this to look:
    http://img173.imageshack.us/my.php?image=waveform29wx.jpg

Is this possible in Cool Edit or any software? I mean without painstakingly deamplifying every peak manually? Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    In Audacity, you can use the Dynamic Range 'Compressor' to reduce the loud parts while keeping the volume of the soft parts the same. It's under the 'Effects' menu.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    As Audacity is simply Cooledit under a different name, you can do it in Cooledit too. You need to apply compression so that the lower levels are amplified but the higher ones aren't. I can't remember where the settings are in Cooledit 200 (I use Cooledit Pro) but if you Google for it you should be able to find a manual (I've got that somewhere too).
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    hey thanks everyone, i think this will work
    Quote Quote